Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Prices for Whipple 496HO Mods: >

Prices for Whipple 496HO Mods:

Notices

Prices for Whipple 496HO Mods:

Old 11-25-2002, 10:09 PM
jafo272

Dustin
I'm running 496 HO, bravo 1x, and K&N filter. Would like a little more but still have a so called gas and go motor. What do you suggest. (stage 2)?
thanks
Brian

Old 11-25-2002, 11:59 PM
tfairweather

Dustin, what size of boats are you doing the Super charged 496 HO testing on? What MPH gains are you seeing? I know it varies just a estimate?? What boost are you running 3.5 or 5.0. I want this charger so bad I can taste it but, I'm so scared that if I am going wide open throttle for a long time with the charger that the motor will be history and that I can't afford!

Old 11-26-2002, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone done the mod yet to 496HO's? Curious to know what you saw for increases in speed, etc...
Old 11-26-2002, 04:40 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Seems this could be a hot topic over the dreary winter months ahead. I'm digging the stage-I package, but I'm a little leary about whether ort not it's gonna be another true %10 gain or just more advertising hogwash....The K&N arrester I have, and I think for those others I know with the same engine who installed them, showed ZERO gains over the original filter
Old 11-26-2002, 04:42 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

BTW, what about the performance, specs, and pricing of the Procharger package?...
Old 11-26-2002, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

whipple charged can you give us the actual hp numbers for each stage( ex: stage one from 425 to 440 hp etc. ) and are they at the prop ?
Old 11-27-2002, 12:47 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

105mph, the 525 is exactly that, about 20-30 hp more than the 500 HP EFI. Supercharged, it's much closer to 775hp with 6lbs. of boost.

Jafo, stage 2, 3 or superchaged. Many are afraid of the superchargers, yet some will buy ones that don't even touch the stock ECU, the stock motor is very reliable, the reprogrammed ECU has many, many fail safes to keep the engine from failing. The stage 2, thats just making the motor run on 91 octane vs. 87 and making it more efficient, very little drop in overall life of the engine. Stage 3 is more agressive, better camshaft, valvetrain, head work to get more hp per ci, no more compression, slightly more rpms, very similar to GM's 525 package. Same safety features as stock engine, yet more power.

Reckless288, normally I give unbiased advice on all packages, but I will tell you, from my experiance with the factory Mag and Mag HO packages, I would highly recommend not to install a procharger system with no computer modifications. The system is very complexed and has many different parameters that are not supercharger friendly. Rising rate fuel pressure regulators (FMU's) simply do not cut it, at least not to our standards.

We run 6lbs. of boost, not 3.5 or 5, 6lbs. There are no problems with the pistons, there are no engine problems. Others run lower boost levels because they don't have control over many different parameters.

As for advertising hogwash, were making the power we claim on a consistent basis.

Sonic26, power will vary, the engines that we have run have averaged, and I repeat, averaged between 405-413hp to the flywheel. Propshaft numbers are in the 350-360 range with our propshaft dyno. Stage 1 is in the area of 440-450hp at the flywheel. The filter is worth about 0-3hp by itself, basically worthless purchase by itself. We don't claim mph numbers like some, because every boat is different, some boats need a dramatic increase in power to gain even a mph, while some only need a small amount to increase speed.

As for power increases, airflow increases and the need for more air is needed. For our stage 2 and 3 packages, we run a much larger filter than the stage 1. We also have a few tricks in the ECU and filter design to increase overall power. In a boat, it takes at least 20+hp to see any change.

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 11-27-2002, 06:34 AM
Registered

Sounds like the Whipple crew has it going on, keep up the good work there, I guess it helps out when you are close to Mercury, after all you did help them line out that new SC engine of there's
Old 11-27-2002, 08:02 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Dustin thanks for a straight up response. I can respect info more when the talk is straight and not just a pitch per-se.

I've got the Sunsation 288 (love the boat) with of course the 496HO as does a few other local boys, who I'm sure are hawking this post licking their chops, and one of my/our concerns of course is the warranty. I have the extended for an additional 4 years on top of the original one. I'd like to tweak up the performance a tad but quite honestly don't want to tap into the home equity to do it or risk popping the motor. That being said, I am interested in the stage-I package and the, what I consider, reasonable price. I believe $995 is not a bad "if" the gains can truly be expected to be in the 8-10% range. Often we hear or know of folks who dump wasted dollars trying every trick in the book shy of changing engines (can't resonably expect that with a new boat) to gain just a few clicks on the dial. This could cut to the chase. Is the stage-I easy to self-install without creating a birds-nest of wires on the engine? And could you break down the aspects of the hi-perf program/low temp thermostat and how they combine with the filter to get the average 10% gain? I think you could really get volume sales on this package if the percentage is in the ballpark. Also, how long from time to order to delivery can one expect to wait, and what would be shipping/handling costs so I can start putting my pocket change in the jar again?...Thanks for your input in advance...

BTW folks, using the old rule of thumb of 15 ponies per mph to be gained the stage-I would provide approx. 3mph ($331 per mph gained) for a single setup and approx. 5mph ($398 per) for a twin setup...

Last edited by Reckless32; 11-27-2002 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-28-2002, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just wondering with the Stage 1 mods. what octane fuel is required?

Quick Reply: Prices for Whipple 496HO Mods:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.