Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Florida Vacation Spot for Key West alternative (with boat) >

Florida Vacation Spot for Key West alternative (with boat)

Notices

Florida Vacation Spot for Key West alternative (with boat)

Old 01-17-2022, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 1,285 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
This year at the Joey Gratton run we noticed new condo's and docks right here where it is all level. Wondering the same as you.

I think that’s called the “Strand”. If so most are probably pre sold.

edit: my bad.
Sounds like they’re build now. They advertised those years before they broke ground. Initially they were very reasonably priced but construction seemed like it was never going to happen. Possibly rentals there.

Last edited by hoodoo; 01-17-2022 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 204 Likes on 97 Posts

Did some research down in the Keys myself looking at VRBO & Airbnb. There are quite a number of places that will fit what your looking for. Most we learned will only take 7 day minimums and many offer dockage 24-30', I believe there are some restrictions in some towns with rentals under a week and there were quite a few that only will take 30 day mins. We stayed in Marathon right by Faro Blanco and there was a group of homes we looked at that fit what your looking for with good bayview, dockage and fish cleainig stations. If you want the detail PM me. Also if your looking for info on the Panhandle have boated from Destin to Orange beach. We trailered so I don't really have a lot to offer as far as rentals with dockage but they do exist.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Post Card Inn Islamorada, as Tank said right in the center of the keys. Has a marina, a tiki bar, and a big sand bar right out in front of it.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cheech
Is it just you and wife/girlfriend or multiple people?
Just me and the gf most likely, otherwise were going to need another slip or space for a 32CC with OBs if we share a place with our friends, but that would have to be in the Keys for sure since they live in Vero Beach and have a Condo in Cape Coral... Its possible to rent their condo on the water very cheap, but IDK where we'd keep the trailer AND there's not much of a view of the slip from the condo which scares me a bit, leaving a high end boat in the water for a week with all the thefts you see sometimes.

Originally Posted by thisistank
I always wanted to stay at that little dumpy hotel next to Gilbert’s for a week. Have a room that you step out the door 4’ and onto your boat! Then be able to run all over the keys even down to key west for day excursions. There’s also a cool, funky “hotel” south of key largo that has permanent house boats as rooms surrounding a pool. You can tie your boat up next to your room. Forget what the place is called but it’s pretty cool.

Post card inn would be a good destination too since it’s basically dead center in the keys.

either way, I feel your pain about high prices for the worlds. It’s out of control. I’ve talked to a lot of people that are bowing out because of the hotel gouging. A lot of sentiment is “well the rich guys will pay it” but Knowing many people that can afford it no problem, I know they don’t like being taken advantage of. I’d be wary not to bite the hand that feeds you if I were the hotel association. They may find their rooms empty if they get too greedy.
Excellent suggestion... Ill have to call them and see what the arrangements are with a boat when renting a room at Gilberts.... Curious about the Houseboat place too.... That sounds right up our alley possibly. If you think of the name of it, let me know. Im gonna see if I can Google it.... Boatel maybe?
And ya, it seriously sucks as wel love partying in key west and watching the races... BUT taking it as an opportunity to take a boat vacation since we've never done it before and really want to! I hope something gives the hotel associations down there a reality check

Originally Posted by tlark
Did some research down in the Keys myself looking at VRBO & Airbnb. There are quite a number of places that will fit what your looking for. Most we learned will only take 7 day minimums and many offer dockage 24-30', I believe there are some restrictions in some towns with rentals under a week and there were quite a few that only will take 30 day mins. We stayed in Marathon right by Faro Blanco and there was a group of homes we looked at that fit what your looking for with good bayview, dockage and fish cleainig stations. If you want the detail PM me. Also if your looking for info on the Panhandle have boated from Destin to Orange beach. We trailered so I don't really have a lot to offer as far as rentals with dockage but they do exist.
Sounds good.... going to shoot you a PM

The following users liked this post:
thisistank (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 3,022 Likes on 989 Posts

I can’t find it but ill
search some
more tomorrow. This isn’t the exact place but also looks cool.

https://mangrovemarina.com/houseboats/
Fountain38 (01-21-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
I always wanted to stay at that little dumpy hotel next to Gilbert’s for a week. Have a room that you step out the door 4’ and onto your boat! Then be able to run all over the keys even down to key west for day excursions. There’s also a cool, funky “hotel” south of key largo that has permanent house boats as rooms surrounding a pool. You can tie your boat up next to your room. Forget what the place is called but it’s pretty cool.

Post card inn would be a good destination too since it’s basically dead center in the keys.

either way, I feel your pain about high prices for the worlds. It’s out of control. I’ve talked to a lot of people that are bowing out because of the hotel gouging. A lot of sentiment is “well the rich guys will pay it” but Knowing many people that can afford it no problem, I know they don’t like being taken advantage of. I’d be wary not to bite the hand that feeds you if I were the hotel association. They may find their rooms empty if they get too greedy.
Tank, text me some info on the boathouse place. Next year I want to tow down for spring break, can’t do it this year, can’t get to the boat til spring time
Old 01-17-2022, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

I stayed in key colony with my own slip two years ago... definitely prefer that for staying still went to the races by car or boat every day....

price was reasonable but I had reserved about 7 months prior (also went to Bahamas by boat prior and spent two weeks in keys after).

I think there were 6 docks at the place I stayed and I had the only boat there.

* also kept boat at dock with view from porch and tow rig (8foot bed quad cab dually)/ trailer covered and on property

Last edited by PigNaPoke; 01-17-2022 at 08:38 PM.
SB (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by cdaniel525
Because curious of the same thing or suspect it'll turn into 💩 show, lol

Thanks, I'll see what kinda accomodations they can make...

Thanks, I'll look around the area...

​​​
Wanting to do the same thing. Hell we should get a whole place and just do and OSO meetup and hangout. 😂
cdaniel525 (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by charliewhiskey85
wanting to do the same thing. Hell we should get a whole place and just do and oso meetup and hangout. 😂
🤘
Old 01-17-2022, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by cdaniel525
Just me and the gf most likely, otherwise were going to need another slip or space for a 32CC with OBs if we share a place with our friends, but that would have to be in the Keys for sure since they live in Vero Beach and have a Condo in Cape Coral... Its possible to rent their condo on the water very cheap, but IDK where we'd keep the trailer AND there's not much of a view of the slip from the condo which scares me a bit, leaving a high end boat in the water for a week with all the thefts you see sometimes.

Excellent suggestion... Ill have to call them and see what the arrangements are with a boat when renting a room at Gilberts.... Curious about the Houseboat place too.... That sounds right up our alley possibly. If you think of the name of it, let me know. Im gonna see if I can Google it.... Boatel maybe?
And ya, it seriously sucks as wel love partying in key west and watching the races... BUT taking it as an opportunity to take a boat vacation since we've never done it before and really want to! I hope something gives the hotel associations down there a reality check

Sounds good.... going to shoot you a PM
I am really curious on what u land/find out. I agree with your concern with having a safe place for all 3, boat, trailer, and tow rig.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.