Notices

Lets talk about Raylar

Old 03-17-2022, 11:22 AM
  #1  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 76
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lets talk about Raylar

Gents some advice if you please; I am looking at a boat powered with 496 HOs wi- Raylar Big Power CNC aluminum cylinder heads,Raylar's full-roller rockers,BP-206 Max Effort Camshafts and Pistons. Aeromotive fuel system with upgraded injectors. Between 100-200 hours. The problem: love the boat, like to run WOT very occassionaly, butI really dont need all the power and would prefer a reliable, EZ maintenance setup. The Question: Since i dont have a heavy foot but i do like to cruise pretty fast, maybe 3500-4000 RPM. Given my preference for reliability, am I insane to consider these Raylar motors? Raylars- run from them like a scalded dog or reliable if not beat on? Thanks.
Michaeloh59 is offline  
Old 03-17-2022, 12:25 PM
  #2  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
iTrader: (7)
 
getrdunn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NW Michigan
Posts: 7,833
Received 1,186 Likes on 634 Posts
Default

I didn’t think they were really anymore maintenance than any other performance engine. The normal routine maintenance checks and replacements etc. I wouldn’t let them be any deal breaker and you’ll be happier in the long run. Otherwise whatever you get engine wise you’ll be wanting to upgrade after a season. JMO
getrdunn is offline  
Old 03-17-2022, 01:18 PM
  #3  
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member
 
Griff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Omaha/LOTO
Posts: 18,805
Received 1,142 Likes on 559 Posts
Default

Probably the same answers as you got here To Raylar or not to Raylar?
Griff is offline  
The following 6 users liked this post by Griff:
AmiableDave (03-19-2022), articfriends (03-22-2022), bajaman (03-17-2022), davidmercury (03-18-2022), getrdunn (03-17-2022), ICDEDPPL (03-18-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 01:28 PM
  #4  
SB
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: On A Dirt Floor
Posts: 12,312
Received 2,042 Likes on 862 Posts
Default

Deja Vu
SB is online now  
The following users liked this post:
getrdunn (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 02:33 PM
  #5  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 76
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Probably the same answers as you got here To Raylar or not to Raylar?
That remains to be seen. In any case all pertinent responses to this thread will be very much appreciated, as they were on the last.
Michaeloh59 is offline  
Old 03-17-2022, 03:52 PM
  #6  
Registered
 
techman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 531
Received 92 Likes on 49 Posts
Default

It sounds like you want stock power, but this boat has massively modified motors. All you can do is get all the information about the motors and make an informed decision. Sounds like they used the right parts, but who put the motors together? Someone with experience? You say between 100-200 hours on the motors or since the the Raylar kit was installed? A delta of 100 hours is a lot. Are you going to maintain them? If not, is your marina or mechanic ok with Raylar built 496's? Get a survey, leak down test, go run them if you can.

If the motors were built correctly, maintained correctly, run correctly there is no reason to think they won't continue to run, especially if you are planning on running them reasonably.

Raylar gear, when installed correctly and maintained correctly are just fine.
techman is online now  
The following users liked this post:
getrdunn (03-20-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 05:21 PM
  #7  
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wichita, Kansas
Posts: 562
Received 285 Likes on 135 Posts
Default

lol'ing at the multiple threads...
__________________
Baja 252 Islander
bajaman is offline  
Old 03-17-2022, 07:05 PM
  #8  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 76
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by techman View Post
It sounds like you want stock power, but this boat has massively modified motors. All you can do is get all the information about the motors and make an informed decision. Sounds like they used the right parts, but who put the motors together? Someone with experience? You say between 100-200 hours on the motors or since the the Raylar kit was installed? A delta of 100 hours is a lot. Are you going to maintain them? If not, is your marina or mechanic ok with Raylar built 496's? Get a survey, leak down test, go run them if you can.

If the motors were built correctly, maintained correctly, run correctly there is no reason to think they won't continue to run, especially if you are planning on running them reasonably.

Raylar gear, when installed correctly and maintained correctly are just fine.
Good point. im not wrenching on em so that is a question I should ask of my local shop. I may have to take the boat to Houston for maintenance.
Michaeloh59 is offline  
Old 03-18-2022, 09:19 AM
  #9  
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 303
Received 168 Likes on 87 Posts
Default

The 496HO platform is a very reliable, long hour running engine in general. There are some weaknesses we've seen over time, however not common. These are piston failures, sometimes rods. The stock fuel system has had issues also. Those Raylar kits addressed those weaknesses. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase these, especially since they have run 100+ hours. In my experience if something is going to fail it's generally at low hours after someone worked on it or modified it.
87MirageIntruder is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by 87MirageIntruder:
Gimme Fuel (03-18-2022), Indy (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 04:56 PM
  #10  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,754
Received 2,671 Likes on 730 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Michaeloh59 View Post
, but really don`t need all the power and would prefer a reliable EZ maintenance set up ..
said no one ever and yeah don`t we all.
ICDEDPPL is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.