Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Help Deciding - Velocity vs Checkmate (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/375360-help-deciding-velocity-vs-checkmate.html)

Tjmrider 04-09-2022 08:39 AM

Help Deciding - Velocity vs Checkmate

So I'm very indecisive right now and wanted to make a post and see what other people think... I currently have a 2006 Velocity VR-1 with a 496 Mag HO, and I'm thinking about selling it and getting a 1996 Checkmate Convincor 283 with a 502 mag MPI. I am from New England, more specifically I go out of the mouth of the Merrimack river, which the waters out there can get rough, and was the whole reasoning behind this. Both boats are solid, and in great shape, so that's not really the issue. On the price end of things, the guy wants $33k for the Checkmate, and I could get like $38-40k for my Velocity.

Some comparisons:
The Checkmate has a deep V hull, more cabin space, full cabin enclosure (custom made snap-in, like you can walk in it, things actually really cool), has a fiberglass windscreen that comes with it in addition to the regular windshield, more cabinet space under the deck. The stereo system is stock and needs to be completely redone, and the cabin interior is really really outdated, and it has regular trim tabs
The Velocity has a pad style hull, cabins kind of cramped but more updated and has a TV (needs work to make it useful), it has K-planes, has a imco -2" lower unit and also have the original bravo 1x lower unit (needs a rebuild), overall a better looking boat and more updated, and it's powered by a 496 mag HO. The stereo system needs a new head unit and a new amplifier, and with the imco -2 drive it cavitates when trying to go on plane

Both boats are solid like I said, both boats have full Garmin systems, just having a really hard time making this decision because I see pros and cons to both. Someone help me!!!

SB 04-09-2022 08:49 AM

2006 vr1 to a ‘96 something else ? I don’t get it, but i don’t get much. We all have opinions. It’s yours thst matters (in this instance :) )

rak rua 04-09-2022 08:51 AM

Going from a 2006 boat you know very well, that is “……overall a better looking boat and more updated….” to a 1996 model sounds brave. Even if you’re a few thousand better off, you know how quickly that gets eaten up by repairs and upgrades.

I think I’d be trying to find something newer. No hating on the Checkmate but it sounds like you may be going backwards, without much $$ compensation.

RR

bajaman 04-09-2022 09:06 AM

Is there any guarantee the Checkmate will truly handle the rougher water better? Have you tested it, etc? Hours on each boat's engine? You are essentially the same length of hull?
I just searched for '2006 Velocity VR-1' and man...that is one helluva boat you have! Rave review after rave review. Of course it is up to you as others have noted but...yeah, my opinion is it would be a backwards move.

Tjmrider 04-09-2022 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by bajaman (Post 4828339)
Is there any guarantee the Checkmate will truly handle the rougher water better? Have you tested it, etc? Hours on each boat's engine? You are essentially the same length of hull?
I just searched for '2006 Velocity VR-1' and man...that is one helluva boat you have! Rave review after rave review. Of course it is up to you as others have noted but...yeah, my opinion is it would be a backwards move.

Have not tested the Checkmate but a ton of people say that those hulls are amazing in rough water. Checkmate has 350 hours, Velocity has like 390

outlaw511 04-09-2022 09:15 AM

I agree with all the above posts. Why would you buy a boat that’s significantly older than the one you already have ? I’m sure the Checkmate will need some work down the road that you won’t even anticipate. Sometimes it’s better to go with the devil you know than the one you don’t know. If you want another boat, move forward not backwards. Good luck !

Padraig 04-09-2022 09:34 AM

I own a Velocity VR 1, 2005. I have been in smaller Checkmates but not a 28. However can't believe it would ride significantly, if at all, better then the VR 1. The Checkmate will be slower. If the Checkmate does not have K planes that will be an additional expense. What about external hydraulic steering. Last but definitely not least...The Velocity VR 1 is constructed without wood anywhere. IMO, A BIG plus.

How long have you had the Velocity? There is a learning curve to running a Velocity or any performance boat..

Padraig

Tjmrider 04-09-2022 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Padraig (Post 4828347)
I own a Velocity VR 1, 2005. I have been in smaller Checkmates but not a 28. However can't believe it would ride significantly, if at all, better then the VR 1. The Checkmate will be slower. If the Checkmate does not have K planes that will be an additional expense. What about external hydraulic steering. Last but definitely not least...The Velocity VR 1 is constructed without wood anywhere. IMO, A BIG plus.

How long have you had the Velocity? There is a learning curve to running a Velocity or any performance boat..

Padraig

I know, that's kind of a thing right now is I feel I didn't give the Velocity a chance, I have only had the thing for 1 season and put like 7 hours on it. Everyone here is convincing me to keep the Velocity lol, I mean the boat is really nice, I gotta give it that

Indy 04-09-2022 09:52 AM

A good buddy of mine came from the NY Finger Lakes region and brought his `28 Checkmate to the CT coast (Long Island Sound). The Sound can kick up no problem and felt it was just not the proper hull for it, he sold it and got a PowerPlay. I never rode in it but he didn't keep it very long.

CharlieWhiskey85 04-09-2022 10:23 AM

Checkmates are great boats but I've never heard them be like a tank in rough water. Their typically a lighter weight hull so you'll get more speed on less power but I don't see that translating well in rough waters.

Honestly the biggest aspect of this Is going from a boat you know inside and out and the maintenance history in, to someone else's boat your just guessing on.

If your going to do it I would say it would need to be a significant difference to justify the headache of the switch and this just doesn't seem like enough of a change in a positive direction to merit the hassle.