Notices

Boat Market

Old 05-17-2022, 12:12 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,108 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
$200K+ for an extra egg beater? $3550/engine for a white cowl instead of black? FFS.... Why?

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
Condition says used. :dunno
Old 05-17-2022, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 1,323 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
$200K+ for an extra egg beater? $3550/engine for a white cowl instead of black? FFS.... Why?

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
Because they can?

I mean if the stuff is being bought why not.
Old 05-17-2022, 12:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
All of the new boat builds now have an inflation clause in the contract.
When it comes to new boats, that's why working with a dealer is best as they usually have paid build slots already slated, with prices somewhat locked in.
Sure, you are going to pay to buy into that slot, but it's likely not as expensive as paying to go to the back of the line, AND the wait associated.

Some boat dealers are selling used boats, and ALREADY have the NEXT buyer lined up.
For example; some folks want to buy a performance oriented CC to use at their second home on the water for the summer, AND there is someone that wants that exact same boat for the Key West Poker Run in November and their winter place in Florida.
Again, that's what the dealer advantage is in this market; as opposed to talking direct to the manufacturers.

A friend of mine had a build slot purchased through a dealer for a new 39' NorTech CC. He paid $25,000. 6 weeks later, he sold that slot for $50,000. That's a pretty decent return!
BUT, that was not enough to cover the inflation of the new boat cost, now going to the back of the line. So he bought something else.
You can no longer sell a build slot at Nor-Tech. If you have paid for a slot you either finish the boat or Nor-Tech will refund your deposit, under normal circumstances I assume. When I asked why they wouldn't just keep the deposit or a portion of it, "we don't want to do business that way" was the response I got.
The following 3 users liked this post by erik1976:
larslindroth (05-18-2022), Menage_Aqua (05-18-2022), Stuckonstupid (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 01:26 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by erik1976
You can no longer sell a build slot at Nor-Tech. If you have paid for a slot you either finish the boat or Nor-Tech will refund your deposit, under normal circumstances I assume. When I asked why they wouldn't just keep the deposit or a portion of it, "we don't want to do business that way" was the response I got.
Good for them, but I would assume that would be for an individual that has a "slot".

If the dealer bought & paid for a slot, I would assume they would continue with the design and specifications of their choosing; knowing what they can sell when the boat is actually done.
Old 05-17-2022, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

All of the new boat builds now have an inflation clause in the contract.
When it comes to new boats, that's why working with a dealer is best as they usually have paid build slots already slated, with prices somewhat locked in.
Sure, you are going to pay to buy into that slot, but it's likely not as expensive as paying to go to the back of the line, AND the wait associated.

Some boat dealers are selling used boats, and ALREADY have the NEXT buyer lined up.
For example; some folks want to buy a performance oriented CC to use at their second home on the water for the summer, AND there is someone that wants that exact same boat for the Key West Poker Run in November and their winter place in Florida.
Again, that's what the dealer advantage is in this market; as opposed to talking direct to the manufacturers.

A friend of mine had a build slot purchased through a dealer for a new 39' NorTech CC. He paid $25,000. 6 weeks later, he sold that slot for $50,000. That's a pretty decent return!
BUT, that was not enough to cover the inflation of the new boat cost, now going to the back of the line. So he bought something else.
Selling an allocation is a dick move.
Old 05-17-2022, 02:14 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Stuckonstupid
Selling an allocation is a dick move.
Well OK then. Capitalist much? This was all done through his dealer.
Old 05-17-2022, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

Well OK then. Capitalist much? This was all done through his dealer.
Its a dick move because your intent was to never follow through on your agreement, rather sell your spot in line for profit. That may work in the marine world and be acceptable. I have an allocation for a 2023 Porsche GT3 that I purchased 3 months ago, and in my contract it clearly states the allocation can not be sold prior to taking possession of the vehicle. It’s also a way to guarantee you can’t buy one in the future if you try.
Old 05-17-2022, 03:01 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Stuckonstupid
Its a dick move because your intent was to never follow through on your agreement, rather sell your spot in line for profit...
1) It wasn't me.
2) He already owned a 39' NT CC, and purchased a slot to build a new one. He had every intention to build it; but how would you know what the intention was to even assume such?
Alas, his family and boating plans changed. How TF does that make him a dick though? Sure, he made a profit; because he could. Folks act like profit is a 4-letter word. You let your money make money when you can.
The following users liked this post:
hoodoo (05-18-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 795 Likes on 444 Posts

1) It wasn't me.
2) He already owned a 39' NT CC, and purchased a slot to build a new one. He had every intention to build it; but how would you know what the intention was to even assume such?
Alas, his family and boating plans changed. How TF does that make him a dick though? Sure, he made a profit; because he could. Folks act like profit is a 4-letter word. You let your money make money when you can.
Sydways,

I would have to agree with this. If somebody wants to sell their slot, they should be able to. If it's for a profit, good for them. If they bought it with the sole intent to sell it, so what? If somebody is willing to pay double what a slot is worth to jump the line, and it doesn't actually push anybody back, who loses? Everybody got what they paid for, at a price they willingly agreed to pay for it.

Just one dick's opinion.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
Sydwayz (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 1,323 Likes on 739 Posts

1) It wasn't me.
Used to happen in the Harley world when all the yuppies were into them, happens with C8's now.

For that matter, I had waiting list to custom paint the bikes, the guys on the list would do the same thing. Being impatient can be expensive
Sydwayz (05-17-2022)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.