Notices

Pros and Cons

Old 11-24-2002, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pros and Cons

Was wondering who has eliminated their water circulating pump (bravos)and replaced it with the crossover pipes available at many aftermarket sites, this summer one of my pumps sprung a leak ,so 2 hrs. and $165.00 later, back on the water ,now while winterizing i notice that the other one is not looking good either,so i am considering eliminating them altogether,i figure less moving parts the better,anybody been there ,done that ? results,good or bad? any feedback would be helpfull thanks Rich p.s. with thermostats or not ?? availible both ways
Old 11-24-2002, 11:47 PM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Rich,

We eliminated mine when we added the Whipple Superchargers. No T-stat either. However, our boating is done in South Florida and the Bahamas so a T stat is not the issue it would be for you up North. Our ocean temps range between low to mid 70's and mid 80's. Also, if you eliminate the circ. pump you'll void your warranty with Merc (if you're still under warranty).

Get some feed back from the folks that run in the water you experience for more accurate info.

Good luck
Old 11-25-2002, 05:34 PM
Registered

just bringing this back to the top ,would love to hear from people who have changed over !
Old 11-25-2002, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I did this on a 502 mag mpi. After some time I found that really no matter what size hole I had in the thermostat when idling the motor ran cold. It would warm up but as soon as the thermostat opened it would cool down enough to go to the enriched mode. As for cruising speeds it was fine although the temp fluctuated about 15 to 20 degrees. I ended up putting the stock circulating pump back on. I would not do it on a stock EFI motor. Just my .02.
Do you run water pressure gauges or ever checked yor water pressure. I have seen high water pressure cause seals and back plates on water pumps leak.

You might try a search in tech section also.

Last edited by paradigm shift; 11-25-2002 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-25-2002, 06:30 PM
FWK

I did this to my engine and it works great on a carburated motor. i like the fact I can get to all of my bolts if a service is needed. Also a great handle to drag the engine around on the stand. Forrest

Old 11-25-2002, 06:56 PM
Registered

Thanks for the input guys, I'm running carburated engines and i feel that getting rid of the pump will eliminate chance of springing a major leak ,its also less belts on the flywheel and the chromed crossovers will probably look way cooler !!
Old 11-25-2002, 07:06 PM
Registered

On my last two sets of carb motors I ran crossovers. The new motors came with cross overs. Boating here in NJ I never see my water temps get over 110, with my monster oil coolers it takes some hard running to get the oil hot. I guess there are many schools of thought on the temp but that's the way Teague wanted them and they have been bullet proof.
Old 11-25-2002, 08:07 PM
Registered

excellent thanks