Procharger pros and cons?

Notices

Procharger pros and cons?

Old 06-23-2007, 12:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procharger pros and cons?

Hey guys,
I have some questions about the procharger systems. It would be going on a 97 454 mag mpi. The boat is a 97 baja 272 w/ a bravo 1. I'm concerned about the duability of the engine and out drive with one of these systems. Anybody out there have any advice with these. How about a carb version, as my boat has a gen 6 454 mag in a 95 baja 240 sport with the same bravo 1.I plan to add the RM exahaust over the winter. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Anthony
Old 06-23-2007, 01:55 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

I am pretty sure that you can get a blow threw version on the pro system. I wouldn't run any more then about 5-6 lbs on a stock motor, the drive should be ok for the extra power. A centri blower will be a lil easier on parts vs a roots stlye setup, as the power will come on a bit slower. I personally think that the pro system is a nice kit and can add the power you want , still be easy on parts depending on how you run the boat..
John
Old 06-23-2007, 07:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 784 Likes on 363 Posts

just keep in mind that the extra speed will probably put you right into the mid 70's which is where these boats like to chine walk unless you add FULL to the helm hydraulic steering (I had to on my 2000 272). If your boat has high hours you might want to rebuild the gimbal if it has any play because the speed will amplify any tendency to wander from slop,Smitty
Old 06-23-2007, 08:18 AM
Registered

Pro Charger motors make alot of power and will give many hrs of reliable fun. The key is to set them up properly.
On computer controlled engines, in my opinionthey're alittle more difficult to set up because I don't have the program or knowledge to tune it PROPERLY.
That's why I have built 3 PC motors and went carb every time.
I used a GM crate 502 (gen 6) a single 800 Holley modified by Nickerson and ran that motor for 3 trouble free seasons. I was making between 850 - 900 hp with a stage 4 kit. I have since sold that kit to another fellow boater, on this site, and he has been enjoying it for atleast 3 years on a 540 cube.
When I sold that boat, I put the motor back to natural asp (just changed heads, cam and intake) and I just talked to that gentleman 2 days ago and the motor is still running fine with no problems.
I have since moved up to a stage 5 and twin modified 650 Holleys on 600 cubes.
I had some fuel issues (broken PV and a stuck float at the same time) 2 years ago which wiped out my rings, but that was my fault.
This year I'm rebuilt and running stronger than ever.

These are my experiences with Pro Charger. I'm sure you can have the same.

DAVE
Old 06-25-2007, 04:13 AM
Registered

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty familiar with their systems from racing mustangs. I like the fact that the power comes on as it builds boost not give it all almost at once. I'm going to do a little more research. Thanks again!
Anthony
Old 06-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ohmthis
Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty familiar with their systems from racing mustangs. I like the fact that the power comes on as it builds boost not give it all almost at once. I'm going to do a little more research. Thanks again!
Anthony
Do a search on this board for procharger and you will walk away with much knowledge!!!!