Notices

Elite Audio Kicking It In The Desert

Old 08-16-2022, 02:52 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 838 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Right you are—and corrected above.

"The word “amp” (A) is short for “ampere”, one of the standard units of measurement used to define measurements of electricity. An amp is one unit of constant electrical current. “Amperage” is the strength of that current, expressed in amps (or “amperes”). If you were to think of electricity as water through a hose, amps would be the water."
And a "volt" is a unit of pressure, while "watt" is a unit of rate of volume.
Old 08-16-2022, 02:56 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 963 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
I should stay out of this but can't.

Few things, first watts that a speaker can handle means NOTHING about the performance other then the voice coil can dissipate that heat. Don't want to get into a deep dive on this but it really in a lot of ways is a meaningless spec that the aftermarket uses.

Think of it this way, a speaker will put out so much SPL at a input voltage of lets say 12VAC and the signal will have 10% THD. Maybe that sound pressure lever is 90 db. That speaker may only be able to handle 14-15 volts before all kinds of bad things happen.

Another speaker may at the same voltage and THD only put out 75db. But it can handle 18 volts. Is it better? Maybe, maybe not, much less efficient for sure. The point is how many watts the speaker can handle is not a measure of its performance.

Frequency range, smoothness of the response, output distortion over that range, its off axis response, total SPL its capable of etc is a true measure of the performance.

You will not see that data in the aftermarket.

As for this boat system, the big thing to me is what kind of battery power it has to drive all that equipment.

If you are wondering, I have been a audio person my whole life (one reason I got a EE degree) and also spent 15 years as a senior audio system engineer for one of the largest global audio companies in the world. I have had the pleasure of working with people like Jim Fosgate, Richard Small, Don Keele, Floyd Toole, Sean Olive and others that have spent most of their working careers advancing our knowledge of sound reproduction.

Sorry, rant over.
I understand everything you said...i too have a EE degree...just havent used it in 21 years! LOL Not arguing with ya...i just find it funny when i see these kids talking about how much "power" they have AMP wise or how much power their speakers can handle
When i had my Scarab it only had two amps one 1000W Phoenix Gold old school amp bridged to run 4 infinity perfect 10"s and one 500W Alpine 4 chan to run some MB Quart components and had two group 31 batts dedicated to just the system alone. More then a few times at LOTO i have put the house boat DJ systems to shame with that little setup LOL
It may not have carried as far as their stuff but it was way louder up close and more bass then they had!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 08-16-2022, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 1,381 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Wally
I understand everything you said...i too have a EE degree...just havent used it in 21 years! LOL Not arguing with ya...i just find it funny when i see these kids talking about how much "power" they have AMP wise or how much power their speakers can handle
When i had my Scarab it only had two amps one 1000W Phoenix Gold old school amp bridged to run 4 infinity perfect 10"s and one 500W Alpine 4 chan to run some MB Quart components and had two group 31 batts dedicated to just the system alone. More then a few times at LOTO i have put the house boat DJ systems to shame with that little setup LOL
It may not have carried as far as their stuff but it was way louder up close and more bass then they had!
LOL Yes the perfect 10's were nice, they put out a lot with little power. Still have this one I made for my shop years ago.

The following users liked this post:
Wally (08-16-2022)
Old 08-16-2022, 03:16 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,239 Likes on 533 Posts

$100,000? Maybe with labor factored in.
Old 08-17-2022, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 933 Likes on 501 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
$100,000? Maybe with labor factored in.
Oh, I thought it included the boat too!

Big stereos are a work of art........its the music that can ruin the day for everyone within earshot!
The following 2 users liked this post by Jupiter Sunsation:
1983ScarabIII (08-17-2022), TrippM (08-17-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 01:00 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 963 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by jupiter sunsation
its the music that can ruin the day for everyone within earshot!
amen!!!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 08-17-2022, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 169 Likes on 75 Posts

I would love to know the exact list of the equipment in this build, I cannot imagine how it is even close to $100k. In my cabin cruiser, I have all top of the line JL and have about $35k in all materials. I did the labor myself and saved around $31k with 250 hours in the build @ $125/ hour (No clue what the going hourly rate is).

Going further, 28,000 watts at 12.5 VDC equates to 2,240 amps (at full volume). The only amps that I am aware of that have full output at 12.5 - 14.4 volts are JL Audio's HD line. This 26' boat obviously doesnt have a generator so it will not be above 12.5 volts (13 volts if lithium) while off of shore power. Just for fun, I looked at Kicker's line of marine amps and the largest is a 1200/2, which would only make sense for 2 subs but whatever. Regardless, 14 amps x 1200 watts is 16,800 amps.

I would absolutely love to see what possible battery setup that could fit on a 26' boat and would allow him to run this system for 10 hours. Even if it was a lithium setup with 100ah batteries that he was draining down to 0% SOC (which is unrealistic), it would be ~22 group 31 size batteries. Now, obviously no one cranks the volume all the way up for 10 hours, but you get my point.

*Picture of my almost finished amp rack to prove my knowledge in this subject.

Old 08-18-2022, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 440 Likes on 213 Posts

its the music that can ruin the day for everyone within earshot!
Amen X2!

I love loud music, I love all type of music, I love audio tech and I love loud boats. I have no tolerance for these setups at full tilt in crowded areas like marinas, beaches, and other common gathering spots.

If I want to go to a live rock concert, I'll pay for the ticket.