Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Think I am going to buy a 99 32 Fever.  Any last words of advice? >

Think I am going to buy a 99 32 Fever. Any last words of advice?

Notices

Think I am going to buy a 99 32 Fever. Any last words of advice?

Old 10-03-2022, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 750 Likes on 403 Posts

I know of one 32 that sunk tied up at the docks of a restaurant at LOTO. If memory serves it was at Coconuts or some other place up the Gravois arm.

The following users liked this post:
hogie roll (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 571 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I haven't read all of the posts, but as other have alluded to...
...many 32' Fountains have sunk. With the twin BBC back there, and especially if they are such with cast iron exhaust manifolds, the sterns sit really low when at rest. With SS headers, they will float just a little higher.

If you are going to run the Chesapeake with the boat which can whip up pretty nasty at times, you may want to reconsider. We all think about perfect scenarios, but you have to think about all the risks. What if you are out in 3-4 footers, and break a drive or have another engine problem, and you can't get on plane? Then you are going to get pitched quite a bit, maybe even with the engine hatch up, and could very likely take enough water over the stern of the boat to sink it very quickly.

Solely anchoring off the stern is always a bad idea for a long period of time is a bad idea, pretty much on any boat, but especially this one. If a storm whips up, that's going to again be sketchy as above. You are going to want to back into slips always, as real bad wake form an idiot going by will also wash over.

Some folks are going to say I'm hating on Fountains, and I'm not. I have been really impressed by a couple of them. I'd own a 42PR in a heartbeat, and if Mark Tuck's old 42 could be had for a deal, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
I'm just bringing up some of the past issues with THIS model. Not to mention if they are left in the water for a long time, the transom rot that has been mentioned.

So take all that has been mentioned into account as you make your decision(s).
You also shouldn’t beach them.
Old 10-03-2022, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 218 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I know of one 32 that sunk tied up at the docks of a restaurant at LOTO. If memory serves it was at Coconuts or some other place up the Gravois arm.
Yep I know a few have sunk lots a boats sink ,what was the cause? designed? Bellows? Bad bilge pump?
Or just the fact that it's a fountain

You're pretty well knowledgeable with sunsations, the old style 32 sunsation didn't sit any higher than a 32 Fountain so do they sink as well?

Last edited by boatnt; 10-03-2022 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-03-2022, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 802 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by boatnt
just an FYI, Neil might be doing that now but Neil had nothing to do with the build of your boat, Neil has purchased a company the last 3/4 years, all the Powerquest out there with the exception of maybe one or two are not Neil's built, and they are built differently
Most are built under Kevin H watch
Boatnt,

I'm fully aware of when Neal bought the business. We've talked at length about it. I got most of the history. I don't recall suggesting my boat was one of Neal's builds. It's an '02; well before Neal's ownership. What I've stated is that my dad toured the plant in the early 2000s and that he saw them sealing the transom holes on a hull while he was there. I know how my boat was built.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
Old 10-03-2022, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 218 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
Boatnt,

I'm fully aware of when Neal bought the business. We've talked at length about it. I got most of the history. I don't recall suggesting my boat was one of Neal's builds. It's an '02; well before Neal's ownership. What I've stated is that my dad toured the plant in the early 2000s and that he saw them sealing the transom holes on a hull while he was there. I know how my boat was built.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
all good man, enjoy your boat
like I said who knows iam sure I will own another at some point
Old 10-03-2022, 05:44 PM
Registered

We are not stupid, we know how to prevent a water intrusion issue, treated like the picture I attached and you'll never have a problem, got it
Boatnt,

Fair enough. Didn't suggest anybody was stupid. I've learned a lot of respect for a number of members on here for their wealth of knowledge, demeanor and willingness to help people. That said, "sealant" says "silicone" to me, and I've seen a TON of boats with silicone around everything on the transom. Ergo...

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
Old 10-03-2022, 05:49 PM
Registered

You can only do this on larger opening such as the transom and exhaust cutouts. Sealants have to be used on mounting hardware for tailpipes, external steering, tabs, bolt-on platforms, etc.
Knot4Me,

It can be done. I can tell you, if I were redoing a transom, or building a new hull, there wouldn't be that first screw into any wood. Period. There are ways. You just have to be willing to put do it. Obviously, most MFRs aren't. I understand FourWinns is atrocious for transom rot.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
Old 10-03-2022, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 750 Likes on 403 Posts

Yep I know a few have sunk lots a boats sink ,what was the cause? designed? Bellows? Bad bilge pump?
Or just the fact that it's a fountain

You're pretty well knowledgeable with sunsations, the old style 32 sunsation didn't sit any higher than a 32 Fountain so do they sink as well?
Again, if memory serves, I think it was tied up at Coconuts back when they used to have Aquapallooza up there or some other thing was going on to where there was more boat traffic than normal and the boat was taking wakes into the stern and it sunk (at least the back half). Yes, other boats like a 32 Dominator with big blocks sit low in the stern and have similarly placed rear vents and are just as susceptible to taking on water from the rear. Has nothing to do with the brand. Just stating some bring up Fountain as there are known cases of them sinking. Has a Sunny took on water from the rear and sunk? Don't know. Haven't heard but doesn't mean it hasn't happened. I know of another Fountain (can't remember length so won't say it was a 32) that went down overnight in a slip at LOTO. I think it took water in from the hull/deck joint in the rear. You would think in that case the bilge pumps weren't working as they should be able to keep up with water leaking in from around the rub rail. In the case of the boat at Coconuts the pumps probably got overwhelmed. Wouldn't take many good sized rollers at LOTO to fill up an engine compartment. Any engine compartment.
Old 10-03-2022, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 1,330 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
You also shouldn’t beach them.
I beach mine all the time.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wildman_grafix:
DrFeelgood (10-03-2022), Smarty (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 1,330 Likes on 742 Posts

I would think one of the reasons people here about fountains a lot is the number of them put there.

They were in production a long time and made a LOT of boats. Of course we will never know but percentage of those built would be a much better way to judge.

Again, if memory serves, I think it was tied up at Coconuts back when they used to have Aquapallooza up there or some other thing was going on to where there was more boat traffic than normal and the boat was taking wakes into the stern and it sunk (at least the back half). Yes, other boats like a 32 Dominator with big blocks sit low in the stern and have similarly placed rear vents and are just as susceptible to taking on water from the rear. Has nothing to do with the brand. Just stating some bring up Fountain as there are known cases of them sinking. Has a Sunny took on water from the rear and sunk? Don't know. Haven't heard but doesn't mean it hasn't happened. I know of another Fountain (can't remember length so won't say it was a 32) that went down overnight in a slip at LOTO. I think it took water in from the hull/deck joint in the rear. You would think in that case the bilge pumps weren't working as they should be able to keep up with water leaking in from around the rub rail. In the case of the boat at Coconuts the pumps probably got overwhelmed. Wouldn't take many good sized rollers at LOTO to fill up an engine compartment. Any engine compartment.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wildman_grafix:
Knot 4 Me (10-03-2022), Smarty (10-03-2022)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.