Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Think I am going to buy a 99 32 Fever.  Any last words of advice? >

Think I am going to buy a 99 32 Fever. Any last words of advice?

Notices

Think I am going to buy a 99 32 Fever. Any last words of advice?

Old 09-29-2022, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Think I am going to buy a 99 32 Fever. Any last words of advice?

Found a couple of Fountains for sale at reasonable prices. I think the 27 and 29 are a bit too small and it looks like the 32 could be the one. I've done lots of research about the vents, how the stern sits so low and they take on water through the vents for the bilge blowers, etc. Also found a few cases of wet stringers and transom which seems to be relatively common issue with this style boat due to the water line, thru hull exhausts, out drives, etc.

So, for about 40k I can get a 32 Fountain Fever. I'll check it out closely but aside from the usual are there any additional things to look at on this specific model? I am sure there are "better" boats out there but for 40k this seems like a good boat.
Old 09-29-2022, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

Paging Wildman_grafix to the white courtesy phone
The following users liked this post:
Wildman_grafix (09-30-2022)
Old 09-29-2022, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 134 Likes on 62 Posts

Loved our 32' it was awesome! Very underrated in my opinion. Everyone will tell you to get a 35 lol. Never had a problem taking on water in ours although I did have to replace stringers and forward bulkhead. That was due to them sitting nose down on trailer when level and last owner let water sit in the bilge when it was stored where it wicked up into poorly sealed bulkhead drains. Nothing compares to the stance of the 32's in my opinion they just look mean. If it's a step hull (mine wasn't) check the cabin step there is a bilge there that fills up with water and floods the cabin but that goes for any step hull Fountain I believe. Good luck!
MonkeySea2 (10-03-2022)
Old 09-29-2022, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 134 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by DrFeelgood
Paging Wildman_grafix to the white courtesy phone
Wildman did a couple mods to his that are pretty awesome one for the vents and for the trim pumps.
Old 09-29-2022, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 435 Likes on 209 Posts

Everyone will tell you to get a 35 lol
Yes, that would be me.

The used boat market is going to go cold in the recession and should be a buyers market. I would 100% hold out for a 35. The 32 is ok, but a quirky boat. Not very well balanced, AKA "ass dragger", the tightest twin engine compartment ever conceived, and wet transoms are chronic with neglected 32's.

IGetWet (09-29-2022)
Old 09-29-2022, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't disagree about the economy and prices but I don't think a 35 will get to 40k. That's where I am right now on a 99 32 Fever. Seems like a lot of boat for the $$.
Old 09-29-2022, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 435 Likes on 209 Posts

With a 40K budget you might find a 10 Meter or an Executioner, but, yes not a twin step 35. I'm surprised you can find a 32 for that money.
Old 09-29-2022, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 130 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaNile31
I don't disagree about the economy and prices but I don't think a 35 will get to 40k. That's where I am right now on a 99 32 Fever.
well, then you may want to consider spending a bit more
Old 09-29-2022, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Buddy has one with 502's - I love it. Feels like a big Allison at 80 MPH. If I bought a V-Hull in the 30+ ft. range, it would be a Fountain, no doubt. Good luck.

MDS
Old 09-29-2022, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 795 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaNile31
Found a couple of Fountains for sale at reasonable prices. I think the 27 and 29 are a bit too small and it looks like the 32 could be the one. I've done lots of research about the vents, how the stern sits so low and they take on water through the vents for the bilge blowers, etc. Also found a few cases of wet stringers and transom which seems to be relatively common issue with this style boat due to the water line, thru hull exhausts, out drives, etc.

So, for about 40k I can get a 32 Fountain Fever. I'll check it out closely but aside from the usual are there any additional things to look at on this specific model? I am sure there are "better" boats out there but for 40k this seems like a good boat.
Seanile,

This is not to bash Fountains in any way but...

PowerQuest 340 Viper

I am a bit biased, but I think this is way more boat for the money, even if it's considerably more than your $40K.

PowerQuests have about the largest cockpit per foot of length, and Fountains have about the smallest. A PowerQuest will be considerably heavier than a Fountain of the same length, which has to be considered for towing, and will run a bit slower than the Fountain, but the ride will be considerably more comfortable. And there's also that fact that not everybody has a PowerQuest, which is one of my main draws to them, while you can't hardly sneeze without getting snot on a Fountain. The same can be said about Baja, only more so.

You've already mentioned you're aware that Fountains are somewhat known for wet stringers and transoms. You'll not find that With PowerQuest. Everything is sealed before assembly. Most other MFRs seem to just cut holes, assemble and silicone. PQ was a custom build-to-order shop almost from beginning to end, and it shows. There's not much out there built better, as far as the glasswork, fit and finish, etc...

It probably wouldn't be hard to find an 85MPH 32' Fountain. But everything about a boat is a trade-off. With Fountain, it seemed it was fairly easy for them to make sacrifices in a lot of areas in search of that speed. This PQ gets you in the mid 80s without all that compromise.

Like I said... Not bashing Fountain, and I don't mean to ruffle any feathers. Just something to think about.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
liberator221 (09-29-2022)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.