Notices

Phenomenon

Old 11-03-2022, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 795 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by IGetWet
Dear Brad Christy,

Where do you think you read that?? They had over 80hrs in testing. Best top speed of 195, 50mph slower than spirit of Qatar did in one mile. That’s a lot of catching up to do. Cool idea for a billionaire, just not realistic.

Sincerely,

Igetwet

oh and it weighed 35,000lbs
IGetWet,

It's been quite a while back. Who knows? Maybe while testing was yet to really get underway. I hadn't heard anything about it for quite some time, and nothing of any real updates since. Obviously doesn't mean it didn't happen, though.

It does make you wonder, though.... Why not just start with the 50' Mystic that seemed to be the ticket, instead of reinventing the wheel?

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
Old 11-03-2022, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 834 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by nwfreerider
wouldn't stand a chance next to the hustler 377 talon...
😂😂😂
The following 2 users liked this post by IGetWet:
hogie roll (11-03-2022), Velocity941 (11-04-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 834 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
IGetWet,

It's been quite a while back. Who knows? Maybe while testing was yet to really get underway. I hadn't heard anything about it for quite some time, and nothing of any real updates since. Obviously doesn't mean it didn't happen, though.

It does make you wonder, though.... Why not just start with the 50' Mystic that seemed to be the ticket, instead of reinventing the wheel?

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
Simple search yielded results from a thread a couple years ago with a condensed informative post on its history. Just fyi
Old 11-03-2022, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
Hogie,

I can't find anything suggesting they were anything more than T55-L7Cs at ~2900-3000HP each.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
IIRC the latest and greatest T55s or equivalent package size had almost double the power of the 2200hp units that are commonly used.

Theres a video interview of the white guy saying they had 4K a side.
Old 11-03-2022, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

I like some of the ideas in phenomenon. It could work and be safer at terminal velocity than Qatar, it would just take insane power.
Old 11-03-2022, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 134 Likes on 62 Posts

It's been years since I read up on it but I think I recall it being designed to break some ocean distance records originally but then decided to add to it the top speed record (maybe visa versa?) which significantly complicated its completion and it had to undergo major refits/ design changes for fueling and safety concerns etc. Maybe I'm wrong on that. Whatever the case is, in my opinion, this boat, failed records or not is THE most absolutely beautiful piece of marine equipment ever created not to mention what Copeland's rich heritage brings to it. The paint and overall design of it are just incredible there is nothing else like it. It just makes my pee-pee hard looking at it!!
The following users liked this post:
AB From Windsor (11-04-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

I also thought Phenomenon was to be a rocket / (long) endurance racer but did not know of the intention of an "offshore"/ shoot out boat like the Mystics - two different playgrounds.

Also, as everyone is speculating, I thought one of the issues with the quad turbine set up was props contacting the mating prop at speed... there should be a old thread with input from a guy that knew the boat during development... thread was about the time of Phenomenon was actually sold. There was speculation the new owner was going to just run it as a twin turbine and do away with the quad arrangement..
OLDRAT (11-04-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
Spruce Goose…
Yup.
hogie roll (11-03-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 06:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by hogie roll
IIRC the latest and greatest T55s or equivalent package size had almost double the power of the 2200hp units that are commonly used.

Theres a video interview of the white guy saying they had 4K a side.
Hogie,

I did a quick Google and read the history of the variants on the T55. There were a few that topped the 4K SHP mark (There's one in development that is expected to put out 6500 &#128558, but they are considerably bigger in either diameter, length or both, and I'd think the prospect of retrofitting them would prove challenging. The latest article I've been able to find indicates the standard 2900-3000 SHP was what was used.

Thanks Brad.
(937)545-8991
Old 11-04-2022, 06:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by speicher lane
I also thought Phenomenon was to be a rocket / (long) endurance racer but did not know of the intention of an "offshore"/ shoot out boat like the Mystics - two different playgrounds.

Also, as everyone is speculating, I thought one of the issues with the quad turbine set up was props contacting the mating prop at speed... there should be a old thread with input from a guy that knew the boat during development... thread was about the time of Phenomenon was actually sold. There was speculation the new owner was going to just run it as a twin turbine and do away with the quad arrangement..
Speicher,

I read that, as well. This may have been where I read there was only one shakedown run, as it was discovered the props were damaging each other, and they didn't think they'd be able to rectify the issue without major reconstruction of the transom. It seems to me the simplest solution would be to lengthen one prop shaft on each side by just enough to clear the interference. I've seen this done on model boats with twins. This could have also led to the short-of-expectations 195MPH top speed, with a lack of sufficient prop blade area to push enough water to overcome the weight of the boat.

This begs the question, though.... Why hasn't anybody done this with a Mystic. We've seen quad engine cats before. There was and MTI (I think) for sale within the last year with four 1200 blower motors (quadrotors, I believe?). We know there's room to do it.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
OLDRAT (11-04-2022)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.