Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Checking hitch after getting rear-ended >

Checking hitch after getting rear-ended

Notices

Checking hitch after getting rear-ended

Old 12-27-2002, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would crawl under the vehicle and take a look at the attachment to the vehicle and make sure everything is still tight and in its original position. You may not be able to see anything wrong without looking at the hitch itself and where it attaches to the vehicle. Even though the hitch looks undamaged, it could have moved, even a 1/4 inch. I would want to make sure it had not moved and all the bolts were still properly torqued.
Old 12-28-2002, 04:33 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I got rear ended (hard) however there was no visual damage to the reciever or hitch. I MADE the insurance company replace the thing. I told them if they did not want to replace the 200 buck hitch that they wouyld have to give me a letter stating that they will accept any and all responsability if any of the parts failed. Once they heard that they paid up.

Jon
Old 12-28-2002, 09:03 PM
Registered

What you need is a HITCH STEP...It comes in chrome or powder coat black...It goes into the receiver & protects the rear end & looks WAY KOOL doing it...I have one on my DURANGO & it was the best $90 dollars I ever spent...The DURANGOS have just a "plastic" fascia bumper cover & they are easily scratched...I personally think having the hitch ball installed all the time looks too gooberish anyways, not to mention wacking your shins on the damn thing every time you put something in the back...SYDWAYZ is right...it DOES look like an oval nerf or step bar...CHECK EM OUT....
Old 12-28-2002, 10:34 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

My wife drives the tow vehicule in our family and we do not take the hitch out. They make much better bumper than anything GM can conjure up on the back of those Tahoe's. Some lady rear ended her a month ago and I think she made a 1/4 inche scratch to the chrome on the hitch with her front bumper, front cowling, hood, radiator and maybe even radiator fan...
Old 12-29-2002, 01:22 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally posted by Intolerant1
Im going to pull the pin when she gets home and see what it looks like. If the pin shows no damage then I'm not to concerned.
Thats what I was thinking,,, that would be your biggest tell tale of how hard she was hit.

Hows your back by the way?
Old 12-29-2002, 01:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Chris

A young lady hit me last year and my hitch pin made a nice hole in her plastic bumper. The hitch looked alright at first but latter I noticed many loose bolts that attached it to the frame. I have duel exhaust going out the back and that was damged. It broke a hanger and twisted everything. I didn't see that and let her go without getting any information from her. It cost me around $150 to get things right. Not a big deal but before she hit me, everything was perfect. Take a look at more than just the hitch.

Roger