Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   burban vs excursion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/40762-burban-vs-excursion.html)

PhantomChaos 01-11-2003 01:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
GM doesn't have a solid axle, right?

skygod 01-11-2003 01:39 PM

The X is a great rig. I have had 2, a gasser and Diesel. The Diesel is far superior. My Diesel got 18 mpg at 75 mph from Phoenix to Socal when I bought it bone stock. Since, with the 6 inch lift and 35's I still get 16 mpg highway at 65 mph. The X has a solid axle which is much stronger and easier to lift. The Burb will ride a little better, but the X rides fine. Niether is perfect. On the pre 03 X's the tranny is the weak link, if you can get a good deal on the ESP I would go with it. If you kept your vehicle a long time the Diesel X would outlast the gasser Burb 3x over. I say get the X. Good luck.

wannabe 01-11-2003 04:11 PM

Excusion=Exclusion;

Actually it's a great vehicle with the Power Stroke. Stay away from the V10. They will not fit in a std. garage due to height w/ off road tires.

They are having problems with the Ford Super Duty (the Excusion is built on this chassis)front suspension after 60k miles ie. tie rods, ball joints etc.

The Suburban/Yukon XL is NOT a girly car! They just need to put the Dmax in it. The 8.1 is stout but sucks gas.

Wannabe in Motor City

bobby daniels 01-11-2003 04:17 PM

I WENT FROM A 98 BURBAN 454 -2500,4X4 TO A 2002 2500-4X4-496-8.1----- THERE IS NO COMPARIRSON ,THE NEW ONE IS GREAT
MY BROTHERS WIFE HAS AND X AND SAYS ITS TO BIG FOR TRAFFIC

JMHO

h2owarrior 01-11-2003 06:06 PM

Wannabe, I agree with you the Suburban's / Yukon's are not Girly.....They are WHIMPY . For heavy work.....you know......professional grade......It is nice to have a solid front axle;)

If the Duramax was in the XL it would also be a very nice tow vehicle. I would not tow a large load with the shorter wheel base version. The problem is they are not based on the HD and I do not think it will fit:eek: That's why for those big towing jobs, it's hard to beat the Big "X":cool:

Which by the way is going out of production due to lower than expected sales:eek:

CIGAR 01-11-2003 08:33 PM

o.k. whimpy???????????????????????????????

PhantomChaos 01-11-2003 08:41 PM

Originally posted by FunHome
You guy's that pull large boat's with the excursion and suburban, don't you get a lot of sway from side to side at hwy speeds??

Especially the lifted ones?!?!??

What have you done to get rid of it?

I had problems at first, but mine is not lifted. The real problem turned out to be the trailer. Not enough tounge weight. I took the trailer back (picture is before the modification) and they cut and moved the axles back to increase the tounge weight. No more problems now. Used to be anything over 60 and downhill was very unstable (like finding myself in the adjacent lane). I also added adjustable air-bags (with compressor) and 15,000 class-5 hitch.

Chart 01-12-2003 12:03 AM

Like Nort (after fix), no problems side to side, but I have a lot of tounge weight. And a 30' boat may not count as "large". The Suburban has more back and forth rocking (teeter-tottering on the rear axle) than the Excursion, which weighs 1000 lbs more, and a lot of that has got to be the PSD over the front axle.

In addition, adding a rear anti-sway bar will help control any sway the trailer may cause. I've not done mine yet, but plan to before boat season.

gmhdfan 01-12-2003 08:39 AM

Originally posted by JOHN G
ANDREAS, I'VE GOT A 2000 EXCURSION LIMITED 4X4 DIESEL .I'D TAKE $24500 CALL MY SALES MANAGER ANDRES FOR MORE INFO 863 512 2849
Was it a trade in on a Suburban?:D We have 2 PSD trucks in our fleet (F450 wheel lift and F350 crew cab dually we pull a 4 car car trailer with) I have a contract with the local ford dealer and they didn't want their broke down cars towed in by a Chevy. Did I mention the transmission problems we always have with the Fords?:( Always tow our Smoked tranny Ford trucks back to the dealer with the Chevy truck:D My wife and I both have burbs so you know where I'm coming from. (thats why I'm gmhdfan and not Ford-Harleyfan. X is A nice truck but with the price of diesel and the extra cost up front to buy one you have to put alot of miles on the truck before it pays off. Harder to sell a used diesel than a gas motor IMHO. And then the smell when it's running or having to fill up. And try finding diesel in the middle of the night when your out of town. Just some things to think about. :) :cool:

gmhdfan 01-12-2003 08:48 AM

How do you know if your at a redneck wedding?

When you get to the church instead of asking bride or groom they ask Ford or Chevy.:D