Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OT:  Paul Harvey and an INCREDIBLE Rest Of The Story! >

OT: Paul Harvey and an INCREDIBLE Rest Of The Story!

Notices

OT: Paul Harvey and an INCREDIBLE Rest Of The Story!

Old 02-13-2003, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Trying using the #2 description. "Just because you can doesn't mean you should"
Old 02-13-2003, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean I shouldn't! Obviously there are several who do like political posts and discussions and you are the only one here complaining about this one. You continually say that it is not offensive to you but you don't want them on here.If you are not offended then why worry about it? Want some cheese with that whine?

Last edited by Shane; 02-13-2003 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:32 AM
Registered

I guess you will never understand. It is more of a site issue than a personal one. If you want to gain members (which of course is the object of this site) do you think the best way is to talk about religion, politics (extremely personal stuff) on a BOATING website and then make them pay for it as well? There is a fine line that should be managed for the majority of members to enjoy the site without "pressing the buttons". This is not your personal "venting" site. If you need to talk politics go to a political site. There are sites for everything. This one should be mostly about boats (or things somewhat related - ie trucks, bathing suits, people involved in boating etc.) I know you go onto the snowmobile site (TC) and you see how people b!tch when people go off the subject of conditions. Why is this anything different. If you don't understand it, you never will.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:38 AM
Registered

The difference here is that many people on here get into lengthy discussions not related to boating. They enjoy it. Period. If you want to stay completely on boating topics than read and participate in only boating topics. I enjoy both. TC and OSO are two completely different types of sites. Additionally, the OT conversations on there were bashing each other, threatening each other, making derogatory remarks about others on the board. Here, if that happens it is STOPPED immediately. Unless of course it is in good fun. So, I DO GET IT! Every site is NOT the same! Each are contructed and managed differently. Each attracts different people.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:07 AM
Registered

Exactly my point. Less and less people are going to drop money down for a membership just so they can read alot of YOUR dribble. Yes you will have some of the "regulars" here that will stay and enjoy the site, but that is not offering much growth rate for this site. I am sure that OSO (and there advertisers) would not want this to become just a personal (paying members that actually paid and do have some input to the site) boating site. That will leave alot of knowledge and views not coming on here to give their input. A loss for everybody in my opinion. If your going to have to pay for a boating site, make it worth the coin.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:08 AM
Registered

Default Evil twin,, since when did you become the poster boy for A politically correct OSO ??

Originally posted by EvilTwin
I guess you will never understand. It is more of a site issue than a personal one. If you want to gain members (which of course is the object of this site) do you think the best way is to talk about religion, politics (extremely personal stuff) on a BOATING website and then make them pay for it as well? There is a fine line that should be managed for the majority of members to enjoy the site without "pressing the buttons". This is not your personal "venting" site. If you need to talk politics go to a political site. There are sites for everything. This one should be mostly about boats (or things somewhat related - ie trucks, bathing suits, people involved in boating etc.) I know you go onto the snowmobile site (TC) and you see how people b!tch when people go off the subject of conditions. Why is this anything different. If you don't understand it, you never will.
I dont understand where its your business ?? if the site owners were worried about these things you seem to be so concerned about, dont you think YOU should leave it up to THEM to determine what is appropriate ??? And if you motive is to suggest that if we had more members and less FLUB, that maybe there would not have been a FEE instituted then I see your point to some degree... But if not paying the 20 bucks meant that I could not chat with my friends on the site about god knows what, then I'd happy with the 20 clams...

IF this was a run of the mill, bare bones, stale, nothing but boats, boating site, I agree the post count woud be down, as well as the picture count, people would not come to the site as often, and it would not be such a family community as it is,, just look at boat-us's website, boring, stale, very few visits, BUT its informative, you can find out just about anything you need to know, but in truth it SUCKS !! want that kind of atmosphere go there,, there are probably a dozen of those sites...

like I said before, if your so thin skinned that a post about politics or religion will keep you from registering on the board, do we really need such complainers ??? and if there is anything that will keep them from the board I would have to say the number 1 reason would be a FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!

Last edited by Chris232; 02-13-2003 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:24 AM
Registered

Chris232,

The fee has been a part of my explaination in most of my posts. (see last post). It is not about making it only about boats, if so it would be boring, but about going outside the lines. I wouldn't come out and say your boat is a piece of sh!t, so why should someone make fun(not joking) of someones religion or political views. Joking is about them is one thing (I'm polish and I would be the first one to tell a polish joke), but flat out putting them down is not right. Friendly joking is great as are the pictures and the playing around, but not to impose on someones personal beliefs. As I said before these do not offend me, but I know it does to others and maybe a "few" issues should not be pressed upon. Just trying to keep this as happy of a "family" as possible. Isn't that what you want? Fire away.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:33 AM
Registered

Chris232,

I am not a poster boy for OSO. Let me get this straight, you say we should be able to post whatever views we want, but yet you have a problem with me stating my opinion on a topic. In the words of YOURSELF "can you say HYPOCRITE".
Old 02-13-2003, 11:42 AM
Registered

Twin, i'm not here to flame anyone for their opinion, I have taken some heat for my views about the FEE. I've seen people say if you don't like it leave, pay up or leave, pay to play,, I SAY WHATEVER, my point is, there are a thousand other web-sites out there devoted to a thousand other hobbies and 99% of them are FREE. The site is paid for through advertisers hoping to make a profit from the members on the board, what we have here is the advertiser making money of the board members as well as the site owners.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:59 AM
Registered

Chris,

I agree with what you are saying. If you have to pay for a site when there are others out there for free, they better make it worth the money. And having people get into arguments about the issues I have mentioned is not a way to impress future members. Make it Informative and entertaining without going over board (putting down ones beliefs). Not everybody is going to be happy all the time, but leaving a chosen few topics alone if possible could eliminate alot of disgruntled members. I like the site and the humor, but leave it at humor and not flaming. I think ripping apart a truck due to problems (like Audiofn- no disrespect intended, I own a Ford SD) is fine. It is informative and is not attacking a person directly through their beliefs or upbringing. I am not trying to recreate the wheel just tying to be a little more respectful of others feelings. Imagine that, me trying to do something nice. First for everything.

Last edited by EvilTwin; 02-13-2003 at 12:02 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.