Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Mercury Racing vs. Sterling, Zul, Eikert (sp?) >

Mercury Racing vs. Sterling, Zul, Eikert (sp?)

Notices

Mercury Racing vs. Sterling, Zul, Eikert (sp?)

Old 02-18-2003, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also think you should take a poll. It would be interesting to know.
Old 03-22-2003, 07:18 AM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

The last time Merc, Eickert and Sterling squared off was back in 99 or so when they were running the Class 1 injected motors in Open Class? Wasn't Drambui closing out a season second to Alcone and both were running Sterlings. Drambui switched to Eickert towards the end of the season and reversed the competitive situation with Alcone. I think Drambui won the Worlds that year as well. Next year after the opening race in FL where Drambui
was dominate vs Alcone I think Alcone went overseas to run. I believe Drambui took National and Worlds that year? I can't remember the last time Merc was a major player in Open Class.
Old 03-22-2003, 09:58 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just sold a Top Gun with 328 hours on Merc 575's, not one hickup. The boat that was traded for the Top Gun was a 42 Fountain w/ 900sc's, 285 hours, yes thats 285. I have 625 Zuls in my Top Gun and I love them. I only have 44 hours on them so we will see. I know a guy with Sterlings and 2 guys with Eickerts. One Sterling has pre-detonated with 35 hours on it and its naturally aspirated. Both Eickerts in one boat have thrown rods, one did it twice.

Heres the deal. ALL of these builders are the best. The problem is that alot of the Top builders are so arrogant from all the ass kissing they receive that they refuse to believe that one of THEIR motors could ever have a problem. Therefore the owner gets made to feel like they are the problem. (sometimes they are, i know i know)
Mercury doesn't mess around when it comes to R&D and customer service. They realize that stuff breaks sometimes no matter how well you build it. They build tons of engines a year, take them to Lake X and run the HELL out of them to see what the problems are so they can eliminate them before you put one in your boat. Why do you think everyone uses Mercury products? Unfortunately now days Lake X is cluttered with customer boats everywhere that just want the "Dialed in a Lake X" sticker. Theres nothing to dial in on most of these boats.

Those guys build a damn good engine, period. But, if it breaks then it has to go back to them because no one else can work on it but themselves. If you tell them someone else took a look at it then all of a sudden it's their fault. Anything to put the blame elsewhere. Mercury does charge ALOT but so do the other guys if you want anything worth bragging about.
Again, ALL of these guys can build some radical stuff. I personally love the custom stuff. Mercury has been smokin for a long time though.
Attached Thumbnails Mercury Racing vs. Sterling, Zul, Eikert (sp?)-pictures1-011.jpg  

Last edited by PokerRunGunT/S; 03-22-2003 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-23-2003, 12:33 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mercury will give you a plastic warentty card,anybody else do that. my 575 victory at sea pkge 800 hours 2 fresh ups.merrc stands behind there stuff,.my currant 800sc' 150 hours oil changes only.
Attached Thumbnails Mercury Racing vs. Sterling, Zul, Eikert (sp?)-lmm.jpg  
Old 03-23-2003, 01:39 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Originally posted by lucy
mercury will give you a plastic warentty card,anybody else do that. my 575 victory at sea pkge 800 hours 2 fresh ups.merrc stands behind there stuff,.my currant 800sc' 150 hours oil changes only.
Damn right. Thanks Lucy.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Mercury Racing vs. Sterling, Zul, Eikert (sp?)

I agree wtih TSG. Everyone builds some wild engines these days. Merc. does a great job and gives a warranty. The others can build even more radical engines. As we found out first hand when one didn't run the very first time we fired it up. The custom builders don't have warranty's or none that I know of? Someone correct me if I am wrong. It's up to you to pick your poison. We have the new 1075's and haven't had any problems, "due" to the engines. Even though I have heard stories and there is some fuel pump issues.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:56 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Zul, Mesa and JC all offer 1yr warranty.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:00 PM
Banned

I'm sure Merc Racing has built more engines than all the other one's put together.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:12 PM
Registered

I've been very impressed with the support from Merc so far !!!
Attached Thumbnails Mercury Racing vs. Sterling, Zul, Eikert (sp?)-red41.jpg  
Old 08-03-2005, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Havent had any experience with other builders besides Mercury. I have had 500 efis sold at 40 hours, 575's sold at 111 hours, and currently on a pair of 350 mags at 45 hours. All ran excellent and I never put anything into them except oil changes.

Quick Reply: Mercury Racing vs. Sterling, Zul, Eikert (sp?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.