Like Tree0Likes

Mercury Racing vs. Sterling, Zul, Eikert (sp?)

Old 08-04-2005, 08:12 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Default Re: Mercury Racing vs. Sterling, Zul, Eikert (sp?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steet
I would have to ask how rigging could be a problem, as mercury marine will not allow a manufacturer to build a boat without their tech people coming in to certify the installation and make sure it is done to mercury specs. At least this is the case for the big engine packages

the TEAM program you are referring to is a training program and not an inspection program... i don't think merc wants to fly somebody in everytime a boat builder puts a 600/850/1075 in a boat...
Old 08-04-2005, 08:15 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

My Boats: 2003 28 Pantera - SOLD

Well, maybe merc should have techs flown in for the install of 850s or 1075s. I know if JC built you an engine, you could fly him in for the start up and test run.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:18 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider
Well, maybe merc should have techs flown in for the install of 850s or 1075s. I know if JC built you an engine, you could fly him in for the start up and test run.
i think we are getting off the point here... the motors weren't the issue... should mercury check the trannies and rigging of every boat one of its motors goes in to?
Old 08-04-2005, 08:22 PM
Registered

My Boats: Velocity 41'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean H
the TEAM program you are referring to is a training program and not an inspection program... i don't think merc wants to fly somebody in everytime a boat builder puts a 600/850/1075 in a boat...
Maybe I am wrong, but my understanding is that Mercury does just that for certification. They do send their tech in for the first install. Then based on that evaluation, the manufacturer can be certified. I will check with my manufacturer to verify this.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:26 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Quote:
Maybe I am wrong, but my understanding is that Mercury does just that for certification. They do send their tech in for the first install. Then based on that evaluation, the manufacturer can be certified. I will check with my manufacturer to verify this.
i think it is a one time deal.... just the first boat, after that i think they are on their own.... if they check every job, i would imagine they had to hire a ton of people considering the 600 is part of that program...
Old 08-04-2005, 10:44 PM
Banned

Sean your right, they have a regional rep that spends approx a week when a new motor like the 1075 is installed. Was at Nortech when Brad the 1075 certified mechanic was there. He spent the whole week there when Phat cat was launched. I went out with them and they not only monitor the install, but also check during operation with a computer to make sure everything is perfect, as well as let everyone know their warranty requirements to pass on to the customer and what hour schedule to check engine components. they want the OEM's to go over all this info with the customer to insure a happy mercury customer who will have a honored waarranty.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:51 PM
Registered

My Boats: www.anarchypowerboats.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26scarab
Hey Slingshot ,
Don't get me wrong I'm not defended Merc I think it is a joke how much they charge for their stuff.
AMEN
Old 08-04-2005, 11:17 PM
Registered

My Boats: 26 american offshore ,28 donzi 33 Scarab

with the price merc charges for motors, they can spend a few dollars on destruction & still make money. most reputable
engine builders who offer a warranty won't be around long if they don't build a better product than merc. several engine builders around the country build more powerful engines than merc that are more reliable (on average) for alot less money. that being said no one can compete with merc for resale value. mercs engines tend to be way under powered for the hardware they include. prime example mercs 600. strip poker built way more power with the same combination.tmp, teague
gary teague,phaff & others smoke a merc 850 with a single whippple instead of mercs quad rotor package. the difference is merc builds way more engines in a short period of time, so they better be conservative. if you want big power & don't require it to be idiot proof, you can save alot of money with other reputable builders than merc.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:40 PM
Rob
VIP Member
Trade Score: (6)

My Boats: Hustler 388

Quote:
I would have to ask how rigging could be a problem, as mercury marine will not allow a manufacturer to build a boat without their tech people coming in to certify the installation and make sure it is done to mercury specs. At least this is the case for the big engine packages
I have 2 friends here that are merc certified and one has never been to the schools ever and the other went after they gave him the certification. and that one I would no let him work on my lawn mower . That one I had to show how to use the DDT because the dealer would not loan it to me

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:00 AM
Rob
VIP Member
Trade Score: (6)

My Boats: Hustler 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC performance engine
Didnt know you had that many friends

3 and a 1/2 besides you being gay your 3/4 's

Like a guy told me one day you have a few friends a alot of drinking buddys

you get the pictures sent off Jeff????

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.