Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Poll: Synthetic engine oil or no? >

Poll: Synthetic engine oil or no?

Notices
View Poll Results: Synthetic oil or not?
Yes I use synthetic oil
65.72%
No I do not use synthetic oil
30.57%
Hell, I don't even know where the oil cap is
3.71%
Voters: 458. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Synthetic engine oil or no?

Old 03-07-2004, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a lot of lubrication problems in boat motors is because of two things.... oil viscosity.. and oil temperature.... too thick.. and too cold... oil lubricates best when it is 200 degrees .. How many of you guy get your oil up to 200 degrees? I know some blown engines have oil coolers so large the oil never gets above 70 degrees... and Crane technologies that makes the hydraulic roller lifters recommends no thicker than 10-40 oil or the lifter won't pump enough oil up the push rod to lubricate the valve rockers and cool the valve springs. Another problem is all the plumbing that gets added.. Original equipment oil pumps driven off the distributor drive weren't engineered to push oil down 25 feet of hose and coolers and remote filters.All that extra distance makes for great back pressure.. but less flow. I've noticed that all aftermarket engine builders love to measure the oil pressure as close to the pump as possible. The difference in pressure from start side to the finish side on all the oiling equipment is astounding. 80 lbs at the start.. 40 lbs at the finish... and then some people wonder why their bearings and engines fail prematurely. The other thing I've seen is measuring the oil temperature AFTER it has passed through the cooler.. I suggest measuring the temperature in the pan. I'd rather know what the oil is doing AFTER it has come off the engine parts.... if you see a temperature "spike" .. then you know your engine is having a problem... what is the point of measuring the temperature after the fact? I want to know what the engine is doing... if there is a failure starting.. you will see it with the higher oil temperature. How can you tell if you look at the oil temperature after it has been cooled?
Old 03-07-2004, 01:11 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1 year old thread

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:24 PM
Ric232

Originally posted by traviss
They say if there is not enough spring pressure the roller could actually slip on the cam lobe and create a flat spot, all because the synthetic is so slippery. It sorta baffled my mind.

Yes, that can happen. But that means the friction between the cam lobe and the lifter is less than the friction in the lifter bearings.

Bottom line, that is EXTREMELY low friction, which means that it will take a really long time for any flat spots to form. With conventional oil, your lifters (and other parts) would have worn out before then anyway.

Last edited by Ric232; 03-07-2004 at 09:39 PM.

Old 03-07-2004, 09:30 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

moble 1 every 10 hours changed!my Z06 vette is factory filled with moble 1!
Old 03-09-2004, 11:30 AM
Registered

Curious what Sterling recomends?
Old 04-13-2004, 09:01 PM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!

I was a huge fan of mobil1......ran it in almost everything except the bike.
I put a little simple theory into it and figured that MY boat doesn't get much use and sits for extended periods..No good. who cares right?

Well what I came up with is Rotella or Delvac.

I run the Delvac in my Blazer and the Merc.The Blazer loves it...no real consumption.
The boat thinks the same.....It's all still there and oddly clean.
To me that says alot about it's soot and moisture control.
Remember Diesel's get worked and forgot about.terrible soot and moisture in them........kinda like a marine engines life.....food for thought!
Old 04-18-2004, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

redline in merc 575s innercooled blower motors and amsoil in drives lets see how it lasts...
Old 04-20-2004, 09:29 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Mobil 1
Old 07-27-2004, 05:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Re: Poll: Synthetic engine oil or no?

mobil 1, change every 25 hours
Old 08-04-2004, 03:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Poll: Synthetic engine oil or no?

Originally Posted by Reckless32
mcollinstn you make my point. I believe all the yap about synthetic in the engines is misplaced as per my comments above. I think synthetic oil's real benefit to the powerboat community lies in the outdrive...
I agree in that the drive has been showing no metal on the magnets since Mobil-1 gearlube. Redline has a higher heat rating and is the highest rated so I am switching. As far as the engine Mobil-1 20W-50 V-Twin is the best with a 518*F Flashpoint and the highest HTPP numbers. Redline is equal and all the rest go down the list in performance capabilities with Amsoil being # 3 then RP 4th going by THEIR data.

The OIL FILTER is more important than the oil according to Bob's oil site. I use a Mobil-1 or baldwin filter or the Amsoil HD which is a Baldwin.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 08-04-2004 at 03:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Poll: Synthetic engine oil or no?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.