How to jack up a boat trailer??? >

How to jack up a boat trailer???

Notices

How to jack up a boat trailer???

Old 02-16-2003, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Won't hurt to load the whole side of the trailer on one axle. The tires are rated to carry a load at 75 mph continuous over normal roadsurfaces. The axles are built and sprung to accomodate that load over normal roadsurfaces with a significant overbuild to accomodate potholes, curbs, railroad crossings, and such.

Obviously, a quad-axle trailer presses the issue, though.

As long as the loadbearing tire is properly aired up, and reasonable care is taken, shouldn't be a big deal.
Old 02-16-2003, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I remember when I used to ramp my FORMULA at Harbour Town in Fl., the ramp was so steep that the trailer rode on the front axle until it was on flat ground again. It looked like the tires were going to explode

Robert
Old 02-16-2003, 04:31 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Tonto
East Coast B

One thing you might want to try is a "dry run" so to speak. Let the air out of one tire and do the tire changing procedure. I know this sounds a little stupid, but I was amazed at how high I had to jack up my equipment trailer to get the tire off the ground. It has torsions. Just be care with the wood blocks as you don't want to put all the load on one axle. The easiest thing to do, if you have the time, is call AAA and let them come change it

Robert
Tripple A does not cover trailer work do they? I know that two years ago when I had just done a bunch of trailer work on the trailer and was heading up north I notices that a tire had worked its way loose. I pulled over to realize that when I was doing the trailer work in my rush to leave the shop I had forgotten to put the breaker bar and socket back in the truck. When the tow guy pulled in behind me about 3 min later I was like SWEET!!! Then the guy tells me 20 bucks to barrow his wrench. I said come on man I have AAA and he said that they do not cover it. Did I get hosed? I told the guy to call it in as a tire on the truck I would not tell anyone. He said NO WAY.

Jon
Old 02-16-2003, 05:19 PM
Registered

While AAA may not change a trailer tire, Boat US does. I have their towing coverage - $15 per year. They sent out one of those big Peterbilt wreckers to change a tire.
Old 02-16-2003, 06:23 PM
Registered

Jon

I don't know if AAA does trailers or not, I always take care of it myself. So far, I've only had one flat on the road and it was a good one. The tire blew and the wire bead got in the brake drum and locked the wheel up . Had to take the whole hub/drum off to get the wire out, all at 2:00am on I-95 at LPGA Blvd in S. Fl.

Horseplay3

Thanks for the reminder, I have that too

Robert