Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How to jack up a boat trailer??? >

How to jack up a boat trailer???

Notices

How to jack up a boat trailer???

Old 02-16-2003, 06:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to jack up a boat trailer???

On a tandem or triaxle trailer, when attempting to change a tire, is it OK to place the jack under the axle of the tire you are trying to remove? Seems to me that you would be jacking up a lot of weight on one axle. Would it be better to use two jacks on the frame, 1-front of wheels and 1-aft of wheels and then jack up on the frame??? What does everyone else do?
Old 02-16-2003, 07:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Axle

I believe it is, your axles are independant suspension.
So what is the difference if you jack one tire higher
than the other. Or if that same tire rides over a
curb on a miscalculated turn.

Just keep your jack close to the tire or under your leaf
spring. If you go to the center of the axle I would agree
you may create some problems.

Good luck
Cougarman
Old 02-16-2003, 07:11 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless you have a HUGE pair of jacks (depending on the size of your boat) you will not be able to lift the one side. Also you will put a lot of preasure on the frame of your trailer. I always get the jack on the axle as close to the outside as I can get it (like under the spring) and then jack it up. You only need to lift it enough to get the tire off the ground so the load will still be sapported on the other tires

Jon
Old 02-16-2003, 10:32 AM
Registered

East Coast B

It all depends on the type of axles that you have under the trailer. On a regular leaf spring axle, just jack under the axle close to the wheel as possible, as everyone else said. There is a pivot shackle between the axles that lets the weight transfer from one axle to the other ie., going over a curb. The only bad thing about a triaxle leaf spring trailer is that after you have made some sharp turns (culdsac, in a subdivision) the axles will no longer be "aligned" and you will get uneven tire wear.

On the other hand, if you have a torsion bar axle, that is a different story. These are usually bolted or welded to the frame of the trailer and act independant of each other. You will have to jack up the whole trailer on one side in order to change a tire on these. Also, you will have to jack a lot higher because of the load on the axle. The axle will need to "untwist" so to speak to get the tire off the ground. This is why I would not want a torsion bar axle trailer even though the axles all stay "aligned" as oposed to the leaf spring axles.

I hope this helps

Robert

Last edited by Tonto; 02-16-2003 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-16-2003, 10:54 AM
Registered

A little trick to make jacking easier is to drive the tire that is next to the one you want to change, up on a couple of 2x6 pieces of wood. It takes a lot of load off the axle you want to jack up.
Old 02-16-2003, 10:57 AM
Registered

I should have stated torsion axles..... Thanks everyone!!! I bought a couple of heavy duty bottle jacks that I will carry in the truck along with some extra lumber to drive that other wheel up higher to take some of the load off the flat tire ....good idea..... Thanks again!!! Good stuff!!!
Old 02-16-2003, 11:21 AM
Registered

I have a thing I bought at a commercial trailer place. It is a half moon shaped wedge. You put it in front of back of the adjacent tire and drive forward. It will lift the trailer about 6 - 8 inches. Made of allunimum, costs about $60 or so.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:48 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Wood. Keep some 2x6's cut in 3' pieces. Lay one in front of the front tire. Pull forward till rear tire is on wood. Stack 2 high behind the rear tire. Pull back till front tire is on wood. Stack 3 high in front of the front tire. Pull forward. You should be there now.

Requires 5 boards. Keep em in the toolbox on the trailer.
Old 02-16-2003, 12:05 PM
Registered

East Coast B

One thing you might want to try is a "dry run" so to speak. Let the air out of one tire and do the tire changing procedure. I know this sounds a little stupid, but I was amazed at how high I had to jack up my equipment trailer to get the tire off the ground. It has torsions. Just be care with the wood blocks as you don't want to put all the load on one axle. The easiest thing to do, if you have the time, is call AAA and let them come change it

Robert
Old 02-16-2003, 12:23 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have got a lot of good advise here, but I will go one better.

I think the torsion axle is the best.

When I first got the new 36 Outlaw with Myco triple torsion axle trailer I had a valve stem leaking on one tire.

I tried to jack it up with a 20 Ton bottle jack and then also added a 3 ton floor jack and NEVER got it off the ground.

Called Myco and they laughed and told me I did not need a jack, just to find a curb to drive over and I could get any one of the wheels off the ground the I wanted to.

Well it works like a charm. Just go at the curb at a slight angle and presto, you can get the wheel off.

What I do now when we trailer a long distance on interstates is to carry two 6 inch high x 8 inch wide x 6 foot long boards that I had cut at a local sawmill. Almost like railroad ties.

They work great and it is very easy.

Good luck

Quick Reply: How to jack up a boat trailer???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.