Like Tree0Likes

OT - Zero turn mowers???

Old 04-02-2003, 03:58 PM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!
My Boats: Hot rods, Hot boats, Beer & more Beer
Default Link to good site...

Kind of the "OSO of the Commercial Lawn Industry"...

Lots of discussions on best mowers to run, running double blades, striping kits, etc...

www.lawnsite.com
Old 04-02-2003, 04:27 PM
Registered

My Boats: Hustler 388

Wildfire,

By the sounds of it you already have a tractor, right? Get the 3-pt hitch mower deck. I have a 72" mower deck(rear) for my new New Holland tractor. It cuts perfectly smooth. You can probably get it for under or around $2k. Plus if you already have the tractor you save a ton of money. Plus the tractor can be used for other things like blowing snow in my case. Most of the mowers mentioned here are only for cutting lawns. If you don't have a tractor with a 3 pt hitch and you don't have a need for one then get a commercial Zero-turn mower. Just my .02
Old 04-02-2003, 04:45 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

X-Mark

I Love It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bought a new X-Mark Commerical 48 inch cut 21 HP commerical mower two years ago for $5995.00.

The best purchase I have every made!!!!

This thing is awesome. I mow 3 acres of varied terrain in less than two hours. It use to take the wife and I using two different mowers over three hours combined.

Currently have close to 80 hours on it and it looks and runs just like brand new. Has always started first time and mows like you cannot believe.

The key is HORSEPOWER! The standard 48 inch model comes with 18HP, the option was 21 HP. The grass can be a foot tall and this baby eats it up.

The hydraulic system uses Mobile 15w50. The deck is solid 3/8 thick steel.

Takes a little getting use to. At first you will really mess up your yard if you are not careful. They will spin the wheels very easy. As you get use to it, it will be easy and the yard will look great!

You will be glad you bought one, just buy a good commerical unit and you will save money in the long run. I pissed off enough money over the years on Murrey's to have bought two of these.

Good luck
Old 04-02-2003, 05:40 PM
Registered

My Boats: Top Gun

Well.....Goats are the best.....

X-mark or Scag are the tops....60" deck.....26-27hp motor..Kohler
or Kaw.

I still do this for a living..

Stripping ??....Nawwww it's a secret....Pay Me Sucka !!!!
Old 04-02-2003, 08:05 PM
Allan4

Dog......you're a lawn jockey too!!!!???? I'll be damned.....

HAHAHAHA........I thought they just let it grow out in Batavia

SummerO, I'll just answer you here so others can read it, but I hate to tell ya, it has alot to do with the mower, infact, just about everything to do with the mower.

The decks are designed to create an very aggressive flow of air from the high speed revs of the blades. The air will actually "lay" the grass one way or the other, thereby creating the striped look. The best engineerd decks not only cut the most efficiently and effectivley, they also stripe the best. Scag is certainly the best when it comes to overall package, but the X-mark, Snapper and Great Dane stripe very well also.

It's just a matter of going oneway, then the opposite way, making sure you do not overlap the deck more than a few inches at most and keeping the lines straight. Takes some practice, but I'm not sure you have a mower that is designed to stripe, although they all will to some extent, sometimes just the mower wheels compacting the grass will create that sort of look. Cut a line or to, and then with the sun at your back see if you can see any stripes. That should tell you if it is worth it or not.

BTW...I cut a little over 4 acres today with my X-mark, took about 1 hour and 30 minutes.....had to double cut a few places as well.

PS.....Doc, you are right about the power, that is why I recomended atleast a 25hp on a 60" deck.

One more thing, I have had really good luck with Briggs and Straton motors as well. Either the Kohler, Briggs or Kawasaki shold do the trick. My least favortie of the 3 is the Kaw however.

Sorry, I'm a long winded a-hole sometimes....

Old 04-02-2003, 09:02 PM
Registered

My Boats: Top Gun

Hey Allan.....We just let the livestock eat it down out here !!
I dont cut out here...These people wont pay !!

If you guys want to make your old mowers stripe,Take an old truck mudflap..cut it into strips & bolt it across the back of the
deck so it just brushes the grass. They make a roller that
you can buy for this also...Other than that...What Allan said
Scag walkbehind mowers stripe the best..Lotsa lift...
Old 04-02-2003, 09:35 PM
Wildfire

Guys, thanks for all the advice. I was just hoping to get a response or two, but I should have known better. After all, we are talking high performance equipment here!

Currently, I have a NH TN55 4WD pulling an 8' double spindle bushhog, I plan to trade my 5' 3-pt hog in for a 6' model to cover my tracks. Those handle the field and riding path cutting. I want the mower to handle around the barn, fences, trees and house. Of course, all this is tax deductable because I'm a "farmer".

The plan is to get all the farm projects finished and my shop up so I can work on the Magnum this spring/summer - maybe even splash it before next year.

Old 04-02-2003, 11:00 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1989 Cigarette Bullet

Hey Wildfire,

Try not to make quite as big of a "spalsh" as you did last summer. I'd like to at least see one of your boats in person.

Take care.

Buck
Old 04-03-2003, 02:53 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1999 Eliminator Daytona
Default Mower

we have a little over 2 acres of yard and I bought my wife a zero turn Toro and it takes her a little over 2 hrs to do a great job.. I think that she only stops maybe once for a drink or what ever,,great investment..she likes it almost as much as I do my boat.. Wont let me on it, says I mess up the yard~~ Oh well!

eliminator219
Old 04-03-2003, 08:40 AM
Wildfire

Buck,

That was more of an "Oh ****! - GURGLE, GURGLE, GURGLE" than a splash. LOL