Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   APBA vs LLC My Opinion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/48689-apba-vs-llc-my-opinion.html)

T2x 04-30-2003 09:17 AM

Originally posted by Jeff
MMWALTERS, I heard a while back, say 3-4 years ago from a GM. executive that Mercs. purchaces were like 2% (or maybe it was 4% can't remember?, but pretty sure it was 2) of GM's engine business. As he put it they don't make any difference in the direction of GM's engine program.
Does anyone really think that any of us matters to GM???????

T2x...... getting a lot of mileage out of this one quote

Jeff 04-30-2003 09:20 AM

No arguement here Rich. I have never had a "mercruiser built motor" always had them built from blocks we bought from Chevy and back in the day, Olds. But what about their outdrives? Bar none, the Speedmaster rules! Please don't think I have any side with this racing thing, I don't and won't,.......... over all of it for a few years now.

T2x 04-30-2003 09:33 AM

Originally posted by Jeff
No arguement here Rich. I have never had a "mercruiser built motor" always had them built from blocks we bought from Chevy and back in the day, Olds. But what about their outdrives? Bar none, the Speedmaster rules! Please don't think I have any side with this racing thing, I don't and won't,.......... over all of it for a few years now.
Understood......... But we can all agree that GM in no way has the racer's "best interest" at heart. This is about a spreadsheet somewhere...if the numbers say yes...do it.....if the numbers say no...don't....and numbers change.

Mercury/Mercruiser in good years and bad......yes numbers and no.....has been there regardless. Some people have short memories and many haven't been around long enough to have any memory at all.......

T2x

Jeff 04-30-2003 09:37 AM

yep, Mercury is and always has been, in my mind, boat racing.

Jeff 04-30-2003 09:40 AM

what if there was no Merc truck at the races anymore, I doubt GM would even bother?

mmwalters 04-30-2003 12:00 PM

T2X as I stated before. I think GMC is only in it for the short term. They want to promote their trucks. Next week they may have another marking strategy. Although mercury prices are sometimes absurd, they have been involved in racing for as long as I remember. Selling boat products is their only business.

ModMachine 04-30-2003 12:55 PM

Mercury used to sponser Prop,the tunnell racing circuit.
Mercyry made demands - the circuit said no,so Merc left.

2 years later there is an APBA tunnell group taking awwy Props race sites.And who is the sponser?You guessed it Mercury.

Anything sound familiar?

CigDaze 04-30-2003 01:05 PM

Originally posted by ModMachine

2 years later there is an APBA tunnell group taking awwy Props race sites.And who is the sponser?You guessed it Mercury.

Anything sound familiar?

Yep, damned shame I tell ya!

T2x 04-30-2003 01:33 PM

Originally posted by ModMachine

Anything sound familiar?

Yep....Mercury backs winners.

T2x

BROWNIE 04-30-2003 02:08 PM

I was Chairman of the Offshore Commission in 1967,8, & 9, when Merc came out with the 482 c.i. offshore motor. (427 was std. in those days) I refused it on the grounds that it was not available to the public. Next day I got a hand delivered letter from Ed Cole, then prez of GM, stating that they were stock engines (damned lie), so I let them in. They did, in fact, make them available in the end. Racing is a hobby for some of us, and a BUSINESS for others. Don't you forget it!