racing today and yesterday

Notices

racing today and yesterday

Old 05-07-2003, 04:18 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Now we're adding another class and I'm sure all these 24 ft boats have canopies , right? I'm not being defensive Rich - just playing on the internet like you and having a damn good time! Now I know you have to be a dispatcher - haha - BH
Old 05-07-2003, 04:24 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by THEJOKER
Now we're adding another class and I'm sure all these 24 ft boats have canopies , right? - BH
At 50-70 mph....... they aren't racing at fatal speeds.

T2x
Old 05-07-2003, 04:27 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

So now we're racing at 50 mph? Now that's some torque! What years were you racing offshore Rich? BH
Old 05-08-2003, 08:40 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally posted by THEJOKER
So now we're racing at 50 mph? Now that's some torque! What years were you racing offshore Rich? BH
Good grief.....I'm talking about single engine outboard boats.....

Anti stuff/rollover canopies are needed when accidents occur at lethal speeds (generally 80 mph plus).........

Roll cages are needed to prevent injury when boats have continual contact opportunities....and that may apply to the little boats.

T2x
Old 05-08-2003, 08:41 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally posted by Fever Mike
Rich why is it that every thread you get on turns to ****?
Mike
Maybe it's the people that follow me around.

Actually, the only threads that turn to that substance are the ones regarding the LLC..........

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 05-08-2003 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:46 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

On a more positive note.....

I suggest:

1. Feature class.....75% of TV time on main program

2. One secondery class....remaining 25% of TV time.

3. Unlimited Development classes with Water Mouse or whatever for kids, Single O/B for the budget conscious, as many Factory classes as the manufacturers want to play with, Outlaw and whatever for whomever wants to tinker and develop.....and no TV for any of it.......or a separate program for racer satisfaction....on a much more modest budget.

Build the fan base around personalities in 1 and 2 above.

Keep it simple....and they will come.

T2x
Old 05-08-2003, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Rich on a few points as well as with C_Spray. For whatever it is worth here are my thoughts.

I would love to see a class specifically designed for the smaller outboard boats. Like Rich said, lots of them out there. P-Class really doesn't work all that well for us because I can be matched with a 388 Slingshot and in rough water it ain't even close. Brakcet style racing is cool, but I think it works better for cars than boats because we are racing on an inconsistant medium and therefore speeds can be DRASTICALLY effected. The other thing is that entry fees should be less for smaller classes as these teams are generally on a much tighter budget and will not be getting the exposure that the big boys are getting.

Regarding Factory racing and TV time. I actually think it is far better watching F1 and F2 racing as there are more competitors and the racing is generally closer. These smaller boats are feeling the effects of the rough water and it shows. The BIG guys are usually running on top and clearly not bouncing and launching off waves like the smaller boats. This is not to say that they are having a smooth ride but from a spectators point of view, especially on TV, F1 and F2 are more exciting. Additionally if one boat breaks it is not like 20% of the field is now out of the race.

Just simple thoughts from a simple guy.
Old 05-08-2003, 09:12 AM
Registered

Rich I agree a class for 21' to 24' single engines would be great. Only needed on the local level. I think the reason we do not see many of these boats in P class is, what is the point in running your single 21' shadow against a 35' twin in the same class?, no hope.
I know everybody always talks about TV coverage but lets face it no matter what class or race course or any other factor involved, boat racing is always going to have a small fan base. The races are always going to be mostly for the racers,never mass appeal . Cart and Indy cars are barely making it on TV. There will only be NASCAR I do not know why but that is where the interest is. One could not put more money in Formula one racing but it does not enjoy any where near as much popularly as NASCAR does in the good old USA.
This is just my opinion but after watching offshore for 25 years and hearing about the great boom TV coverage will provide, And watching all the great effort of those involved one has to realize It aint never gona happen. Offshore racing is still my favorite form of racing but we are the minority.
Old 05-08-2003, 09:38 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Too Old
From a fans standpoint, I have to wonder how someone even toughs it out racing offshore for 10 years.

It seems the rules change to often which makes equipment obsolete. In a sport that costs more than it pays, that's got to be a killer for a the average of guy.

There seems to be little you can depend on in terms of schedules and venues.

The politics of offshore just plain suck. Back stabbing, lying, allegations of a trail of unpaid bills and just a general feeling that the sanctioning bodies aren't really interested in the advancement of the sport but self aggrandizement.

My question is why does anyone race at all anymore?

My personal feeling is the current state of offshore is pathetic.
All of the above is EXACTLY correct! Most likely the main reason why so many people have turned to other forms of racing and or poker runs.
Old 05-08-2003, 09:50 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,735 Likes on 3,794 Posts

There is a 24ft , single engine boat that is affordable to get into, its the 24ft Batboat. it is a great class to start in. as for the 24ft outboards, that would make a great class as well, when the large (V-6) outboards first came out and showed up on some race boats, the big spenders where pissed that some guy with a bolt on could beat them at half the cost and power. but times have changed and those bolt ons arent as cheap. As for the overall appeal of TV coverage when only one boat is in the picture, and they show it for 30 secs or more it isnt very entertaining, as for bow to bow racing yes exciting, as for the politics, i could do without, too many views and opinions.
If we could only stick to making the sport grow, give a reason for sponsors to come to offshore racing.

Quick Reply: racing today and yesterday

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.