Notices

water in my oil

Old 05-15-2003, 11:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default water in my oil

I have a pair of 900sc's and just did an oil change. Port motor ok but my starboard motor had some water in the bottom of the oil pan. The oil was not milky but did show some evidence of condensation on the breathers and filler. The valve covers show evidence of moisture also. The question is do I complete the oil change and run this Saturday on a poker run and then change the fluid immediately after. Could the water have been forced into the motor by running the engine on a hose? These motors have less than 10 hours on them. Any advise guys. Thanks Doug
Old 05-16-2003, 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could just be condensation. Happens this time of year. Run them after they reach temp for about half hour. Then change the oil. Should fix the problem. They are too new and the amout of water is too small to be worried. Otto
Old 05-16-2003, 07:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

How can I determine how much water was in the oil? I cut apart the oil filter to check for metal and didn't find anything substantial although I have never opened a filter up before so really didn't know how much metal would be normal. I always thought that the crankcase would have a chocolate milkshake consistancy if oil was contaminated with water. This was the first oil change since the motors were freshened, probably way less than 10 hours! Could the Stelling exhaust be the problem? Reversion? The intercoolers have been removed and the motor was stroked to 572 c.i. and hydralic rollers replaced the solids when Cobra Power did the motors so the coolers are not the problem. I will be calling Randy in the A.M. I'm hoping for cold water, not hot enough motor as 36 spectre indicated. Doug
Old 05-16-2003, 02:53 PM
bobby daniels

reversion can't run by pistons and get in oil ,its impossible unless you have hole in piston ,,This is a folk ledgend and I think most
problems in boating are wrongly blamed on this !!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
it sounds like normal condesation ,do you have a pcv valve in one valve cover and breather in the other if not add it and it should cure it ,,,also a smal amount of metal is o.k. what color was it ?

Old 05-16-2003, 03:13 PM
Registered

Riser gaskets? How did you see oil in the bottom of the pan? I ran a motor like that and the water washed the oil off the camshaft and I took out a lobe. It was my riser gasket. $2 fix cost me two nights of wrenching, a cam, oil and power steering fluid. Check and see if the plugs have rust on them.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:08 PM
bobby daniels

I 'm curious how did water get from the riser gasket into the lifter valley ??

Old 05-16-2003, 08:38 PM
Registered

27daytona,

I have been battling this problem and listen to what bobby has to say. If you don't have a water pressure gauge, make sure you check to see what type of internal water pressure you have. I think my water in oil problem stems from that. My builder told me that he hooked up a gauge (I don't have one...yet) and it pegged the 35psi gauge. Needless to say I either blew water past the intake gasket or past the head gasket. The other possibility is that the intake manifold bolts are loose as I've heard they need to be torqued and retorqued several times!

Let us know what you find out!
Old 05-16-2003, 09:30 PM
bobby daniels

Boy dave is right on target ! alot of head gaskets will weep water yet hold the compression .
Or even the intake gasket will blow . do you have a block with blind head bolt holes if not water can wick up the bolt or stud threads and leak !
It most likly needs pcv for condensation

Old 05-17-2003, 12:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

After talking to Randy at Cobra Power and Randy at Stelling Headers the problem seems to point to a header problem. The #1 cylinder had water in it and so it seems to leak down when the motor is cooling. I will be taking the header in to have it checked after the run on Saturday. Thanks guys. Doug
Old 05-17-2003, 10:29 AM
bobby daniels

Oh well that would take alot of water and a dead cyl. with a hole ,, and if it was firing it would steam out and if its running yet dead with the motor running the piston would push the water out the exhaust ,,unless there is a hole or bad rings their not supose to pass air and water is tougher to pass so ???????????