Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Volvo Penta FORD performance >

Volvo Penta FORD performance

Notices

Volvo Penta FORD performance

Old 06-05-2003, 09:38 PM
blackhawk

Default Sources for Volvo Penta FORD performance?

A friend of mine has a 5.8 EFI Volvo Penta and is looking for some performance upgrades and he can't find anything. Anyone know any good sources?

Last edited by blackhawk; 06-06-2003 at 09:52 AM.

Old 06-06-2003, 09:37 AM
blackhawk

Someone must know at least one source.

Old 06-06-2003, 10:17 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy OH, MAN!!!!!

I just sold a boat with a 5.8 FSi that had custom-made CMI elbow-top headers and Captain's Call. They added about 25 hp and 3 mph to the boat. CMI might recall doing the headers for me - it was 1996. Kodiak also makes some Ford exhaust manifolds that are better than stock. As I understand it, the exhaust flow is the primary restriction on these engines.

The 5.8 FSi had the Ford GT40 heads, and was rated (I believe) at 260 propshaft hp. There was also a 5.8Fi rated at 230 or so, but the internals weren't quite as good. Either way, it's an injected 351 Ford, so parts are out there.

WHAT I DO HAVE is a Vortec supercharger system to fit these engines. It fits on the port side on the front of the engine, and drives from a bolt-on multi-V crank pulley. It's virtually brand new - I fitted this system up, and then ran it only long enough to make sure it made the 5 lbs of boost that I wanted, then I changed my mind and took it off. (Setting up the fuel system to run more fuel to handle the hp was going to take more time than I had.) This setup should give you close to 400 hp - more if you change pulleys.

The SX (single) or DP-S (DuoProp) Volvo drive should handle this power fine - they use the same drive on their big blocks.

If you're interested, let me know. (But I'll be off-line until Sunday night...) You can PM or email me from the link on this post.
Old 06-06-2003, 02:07 PM
blackhawk

C-spray, thanks for the info. I just pm'd you.

Old 06-09-2003, 10:17 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Blackhawk - sent you a PM. Need your email address to send you a list with pictures and descriptions. It's a pretty complete system in excellent/as-new condition.