Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
86' Cigarette Changing Rotation Add Speed? >

86' Cigarette Changing Rotation Add Speed?

Notices

86' Cigarette Changing Rotation Add Speed?

Old 06-12-2003, 04:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Instead of switching drives just for a test run, why not just switch the props and put them on the opposite drive than normal. Then just put the controls in reverse to go forward and vise versa. If you like the results, then make the change the correct way. To change the rotation so that the controls work properly, all you would need to do is change the position of the shift cables rather than swapping the drives. Right? If you have Bravo's, I don't see why this would not work, but if you have SSM's or TRS's I am not sure.
Old 06-12-2003, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hd,

you are correct for the bravo setup, but i don't think it is advisable on a transmission motor...i believe you would be essentially running one of the transmissions in reverse and I don' think that is recommended for high speeds...
Old 06-15-2003, 02:48 AM
Mad Hatter

Originally posted by catmando
Didn't know Cigarette made an 86' boat.
1986 abreviated smart a$$

Old 06-16-2003, 01:37 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally posted by Too Old
I just had this discussion a couple days ago with a guy who has a good deal of experience with older Cigarettes. His recommendation was that I give it a try. He felt it would make the boat faster.

Swapping TRS drives from side to side is pretty simple so I think it's worth a try.
Fred, wouldn't you have to actually put it in the water to find out how fast it is now before you switch um?????
Old 06-16-2003, 05:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think it be not good advise to swap the rotation on transmission drives, since the drives have already worn in the gears as to which way they rotate. Could cause the life to be shortened.
But the roll of thumb in props turning in will give you stern lift and props turning out will give you bow lift. And with my luck and a 50/50 chance of getting the statement wrong, it could be the opposite
When you do flip them, so to speak, the steering gives a feeling of being very loose with possible speed increase.
Speed increase with stability in steering not good...........just my $.02
Old 06-16-2003, 12:59 PM
Registered

Velvet drives are not rated for full power in both directions. You'll burn it it fast if you just switch props.
Gary
Old 06-16-2003, 06:49 PM
DEVIL MAN

I have #6's on my 99 Top Gun and the factory had the props turning out...I turned them in and the whole dam boat came to life. It have it ass end lift and I picked up around five to six miles per hour. Docking it was not much more difficult, unless you are a poodle like the Phantom!!!!

I turn them back out every now and then and the boat handles and rides better because it is in the water but again, I lose that speed.

Give it a try and experiment!

DMan...and the D is for turn the dam drives in!!!! Thats two D's

Old 06-17-2003, 03:24 AM
Mad Hatter

He's going to try it.

Old 06-21-2003, 04:49 AM
Registered

my trs merc gear boses have a 10 plate clutch operated by a hydrolic pressure plate for forward gear. Reverse is run through a configurtion of worm gears. If you have this setup do not swap the props and run them in reverse.