Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What's the difference between Apache and Cigarette? >

What's the difference between Apache and Cigarette?

Notices

What's the difference between Apache and Cigarette?

Old 06-16-2003, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by lotoparty
Apache gave me a free t-shirt awhile back!

nothing from Cigarette so far
Yeah....Me too. Nice shirts by the way. I don`t think you can get them anymore though. I think Cig spent all their free t shirt money on their new building. At least we could be using the t shirts.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:18 AM
Registered

I think its fair to say the 42 Apache(80's) is a stretched (via the transom) 38(39) Cigarette, thus giving the hull a longer constant section. The decks are different. The 42 was stretched to create the 47. If you look at the 47's(in side view) near the transom area you can see that eventually the the deck and hull lines converge. Stretch it 15 more feet and the transom height would be 0.

I am speculating that the 36 was made from a damned up 42 mold.

Because the Apache were made in a different shop, one would assume the glass layup schedule is different, with Apache using a few more layers of glass(total speculation on my part). I believe this was before they started using balsa core.

Aronow stretched/modified old designs to create "new" ones, which makes sense from a business perspective.

Some of this is according to the book Speed Kills(the 39 to 42). I presume the author got this info from Mark Mcmanus who worked for both Cig and Apache.

vtec
Old 06-21-2003, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Apache measuring down from the chine, This on the Keel at the Bow or "Stem" would measure 25" to the first set of Spray Rails.

The second difference is Apache does in fact have A licensed and Very for real Fiber-Glass shop in Dade County.
Old 06-21-2003, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Streaching the old Cigarette I do not think so.... Ever measure or rig an old 39 ??? it's way Off at the transom Centerline!!like 1 1/2"+
Due to the projections of the error in the old 35 .just thought you should Know.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:31 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Steve 1
Streaching the old Cigarette I do not think so.... Ever measure or rig an old 39 ??? it's way Off at the transom Centerline!!like 1 1/2"+
Due to the projections of the error in the old 35 .just thought you should Know.
Could you please enlighten me by elaborating a little? Especially about the "old 35 ". Thank you.

Cigwillie
Old 06-22-2003, 07:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

In the old days when the trend to wards longer boats first took place the 36 cigarette was lengthened to 40 feet but Aronow sold that mold.

The same with the 35 it became the 39’ now looking at it the shear line …. At 39 feet this placed the free-board too low to be usable so in typical fashion of the day it was simply ramped up (ugly) like a tail-fin from a 57 Plymouth. To gain the needed Height.

But remember when extending lines…. any and all error is also exaggerated by this and anything not symmetrical with the center line ( Keel in this case) would show up on the furthest point This being the new transom.

These boats were built originally from glassed plywood Plugs Faired by the glass shop guys, Also too the “human factor” would have made its presence very well known...The joke was in those days you measured their shoes with all the glass hanging off and that was the Strike width so they would not fall of the Mold when laying it up.

There were no Large CNC Booths in those days in fact MIT was still stealing the Idea from the original Genus.. So the accuracy of the Boat was in reality and fact the ability of the Plug builder.

Last edited by Steve 1; 06-22-2003 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-22-2003, 07:57 AM
Registered

steve, could you go into some detail on how the 36 apache varies form the 38 cig? where did the respective hulls come from? also, how did the apache and cigarette layup schedules differ back then?

thanks for the info.
Old 06-22-2003, 08:06 AM
x-caliber

Lay up schedule's BACK THEN were probably very simular since Bob was educated by Don Aronow. Today, Bob is still doing it the same way he was taught and Cigarette seems to have tried new things.

Old 06-22-2003, 08:08 AM
Registered

All I know is they're both great-looking boats!
Old 06-22-2003, 10:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thumbs up

Well Said Fred!

Quick Reply: What's the difference between Apache and Cigarette?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.