Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OT - Looking to buy new car? >

OT - Looking to buy new car?

Notices

OT - Looking to buy new car?

Old 06-26-2003, 01:45 PM
Mad Hatter

Ever take apart a dodge before? Cause I have, look at the underside of a viper mirror. Says MADE IN JAPAN right underneath it. Ever seen a Chrysler Seabring? Its a Mitsubishi eclipse with different body panels on it and chrysler badging. Its got the 6G72 3.0l Mitsubishi motor. Dodge avenger, Japanese motor. Dodge Neon, mitsubishi 420A motor, MADE IN JAPAN stamped on the ECU, the windsheild wiper motor, the alternator, power window motors. Chevy Malibu Honda V-tech 3.0 motor, Chevy Vue Toyota motor. Need I go on? Its a totally different world out there then back in the 70's.

Old 06-26-2003, 01:48 PM
Mad Hatter

Originally posted by freckles
Check out the Infiniti G35. You won't have a problem finding it in the parking lot. That's my next car. Infiniti service is awesome.
Attached Images  

Old 06-26-2003, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work for a forien owned company and Erie is right. Revenues that are made in the US are sent to our Corperate offices as "Fee's" for the administration. They try and keep as much profit out of US as possible because the taxes in Asia are much less. I hear its even worse in the UK.
Old 06-26-2003, 02:04 PM
Mad Hatter

Regardless, people are getting payed IN THE USA to put these cars together and soem of the money is going to American companies. Either way anytime a ANY car is sold, somebody in Japan is making money.

Old 06-26-2003, 02:19 PM
Registered

Smile

Back to the subject. My wife was given a brand new ES300 as a loaner while her 430 was being serviced, so I drove it. What a nice car for its class. A little pricey for some people, but if you keep a car for a while, it should be worth while. Does require premium gas, but otherwise its great. I myself bought a new CTS and I'm fairly happy with it, but the price was really great, under 30K. I couldn't get any kind of deal on a G35. If I had it all to do over again I think I would go with the GT 400 Lexus sport sedan...
Old 06-26-2003, 02:22 PM
Registered

Eric,

I sent you a private message...
Old 06-26-2003, 02:25 PM
Registered

Although we don't have the ES300 we do have an '01 LX470. The truck as 40,000 miles on it and the only thing done to it is changing the oil. Our experience with the local dealer has been very good, each time my wife has taken the car in for scheduled service they handed her the keys to a shiney new RX300 and said we'll see you later. Customer service from our dealer has been perfect.
I also have a 94 Toyota pickup with 100K on it that has only had the oil changed and a set of front brakes.
Old 06-26-2003, 02:36 PM
Kentz

Originally posted by Mad Hatter
Whether we like it or not, he's absolutely right, I have one

Old 06-26-2003, 02:40 PM
Registered

Default Here's what Ford Motor Company does with it's profits

Update - Ford Motor Company, UAW, dealers respond to national tragedy

March 4, 2002, Dearborn, Mich : To assist the nation after the attacks in New York City and Washington, D.C., Ford Motor Company, the United Auto Workers and dealers are doing the following:
(newest information listed at top)

$300,000 donation to "Chefs Across America," which is coordinating fund raising dinners in seven U.S. cities.

$1 million donation to the Robin Hood Foundation's relief efforts.

Employees from Ford's New York region office are volunteering at local restaurant to provide meals to the police, firefighters, and the rescue and recovery workers at Ground Zero.

Ford Fund donated $5,000 to the Farmington Hills Police Benevolent Association to cover participant expenses for the Farmington Hills Firefighters' "Bridge to Bridge, Side-by-Side" Walk from the Ambassador Bridge in Michigan to the Brooklyn Bridge in New York.

The UAW and Ford Lima Engine Plant hosted the "Celebrate America" event on Oct. 14. Six NY firefighters participated and some 6,000 people attended. More than $100,000 was raised for the NY Firefighters' Widows and Children Relief Fund.

Ford Venezuela Assembly Plant collected $2,800. The company will match.

Employee blood drives in southeast Michigan exceeding Red Cross goal by 51 percent.

$37,500 raised at "Ford Cares" Concert at World Headquarters in Dearborn. The company will match.

Plants collecting employee donations and raising significant amounts; e.g. $33,550 at Kansas City Assembly Plant and $25,000 at Kentucky Truck Assembly Plant in Louisville. The company will match.

Jaguar donated computer equipment to the American Red Cross in Manhattan.

Jaguar sold American flags and pins to employees with proceeds and dollar-for-dollar company match to the American Red Cross.

Hertz Rent A Car will donate 20 vehicles to transport families of deceased firefighters and police to funerals.

Hertz Equipment Rental donated two construction forklifts and a variety of work equipment (hard hats, first-aid kits, safety glasses, respirators, work gloves, safety vests).

Mazda North American Operations is matching employee contributions to the "September 11 Fund" - established and administered by the United Way and New York Community Trust.

Ford Customer Service Division delivered hundreds of engine air filters for ambulances and police cruisers to NYPD to expedite vehicle maintenance.

A moment of silence was observed at Ford locations around the world on Wednesday, Sept. 12.

In observance of national Day of Remembrance on Friday, Sept. 14, U.S. and Canadian plants released employees at the time of their local lunch break to attend memorial services. And salaried employees were granted extended lunchtime.

The company is donating $1 million to the American Red Cross.

UAW-Ford National Programs is donating $1 million to the Salvation Army.

$500,000 from the New York Ford Dealer Advertising Fund and Ford Division. ($250,000 from FDAF with dollar-for-dollar match by Ford Division.)

The company's southeastern Michigan facilities, working through UAW regions, are coordinating ongoing blood drives and fund raisers with local chapters of the American Red Cross and Salvation Army.

The company will match all employee (salaried, hourly and agency/contract) contributions to the American Red Cross.

New York area dealers are providing transportation, collecting rescue supplies and assisting with local blood drives.

Edison Assembly Plant is coordinating donations of rescue supplies from Ford plants around the country. To date, some 25,000 pairs of work gloves, breathing masks and other rescue supplies have been shipped.

Ford Financial created a Wall of Remembrance at local branches around the country as a fund-raising rallying point. More than $5,000 was collected Friday, Sept. 14, at Ford Financial world headquarters.

The company has offered to meet other emergency and long-term needs of New Yorkers, including up to 48,000 square feet of office space for displaced government employees.

60 vehicle donations or loans include:
Four heavy duty vehicles to Salvation Army in New York City

10 Ford Excursions to the New York Fire Department

Six vans (Ford Econolines and Cargo Vans) to shuttle police, fire and medical personnel by Manhattan Auto Group, the company-owned dealership in New York

14 Lincoln Navigators and two Ford Econolines to shuttle New York Stock Exchange employees in and out of Wall Street area

15 Ford Rangers and two Ford Explorers to the New York Port Authority from Edison Assembly Plant

Five walk-in vans to New York City Fire Department in collaboration with Utilimaster Corp. (The chassis are built by Ford and the vehicle bodies are built by Utilimaster of Wakarusa, Indiana).

How much did Toyota or Nissan give?
Old 06-26-2003, 02:48 PM
Registered

Default Then there's the General

2001 CONTRIBUTIONS WORLDWIDE (in millions)
Types of Contributions GM Foundation GM Corporation* Total 2001
Health & Human Services $25.7
Education $17.2
Civic & Community $7.9
Public Policy $4.4
Environmental & Energy $1.2
Arts & Culture $2.7
Other $4.8
Total Cash Contributions $63.9
In-Kind Donations
— $7.6 $7.6
Total Contributions $37.3 $34.2 $71.5
Charity Events — $11.2 $11.2
Total $82.7 MILLION DOLLARS

* Includes North American Operations, International Operations, Hughes Electronics Corporation and General Motors Acceptance Corporation (GMAC).
Note: Contribution focus area categories may overlap and hence appear to understate others, since contributions can only be reported in one category. For example, our "Earthtroop" environmental education program may be categorized as "education," when it also clearly represents an "environmental" contribution.

Quick Reply: OT - Looking to buy new car?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.