Like Tree0Likes

legal ?

Old 06-27-2003, 10:06 PM
Registered

Maybe you should pull up with this along with the trencher.
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2003, 10:12 PM
Registered

My Boats: 98 NORTECH 5000V

That's what i'm talking about!!! I can't read the phone # on the side.
Old 06-27-2003, 10:34 PM
Registered

My Boats: 99 checkmate 270 convincor

pellet gun sounds like the right idea!!!!
Old 06-27-2003, 11:46 PM
OffshoreOnly Antagonizer
VIP Member

My Boats: 1981 Sears inflatable, twin oars

The laws in most states are universal when it comes to water: you cannot artificially divert water to you neighbors property. If the natural configuation of the land causes water to flow down to him and his property,he is SOL and without recourse against you. Conversely, if you were to install drains that opened up at the property line and they caused flooding in your neighbors property, you could then be liable. It sounds as if you are running the drains some distance away from both of your homes so that may not be an issue.

If you are installing the drains to help HIS problem, you have no obligation to do so. If you are having flooding issues in your homeand that is the reason for the remedial work, just be sure to have the drains placed away from his property.

As for the spotlight, most jurisdictions have nuisance laws that may address the use of spot lights in residential areas. Most water front properties/communities have very specific zoning and use laws that may work in your favor. You may get a local inspector to cite the neighbor for the offending light. Otherwise, ask the old fart to turn the light off. If that does not work, go on to administrative remedies, and if you happen to slip, trip and fire a pellet gun at the light, they may work too.

-Mr. Sorkin, 10th Grade Geometry teacher
Old 06-28-2003, 07:53 AM
Registered

I always try to talk with my neighbors about things that I'm doing so to avoid any issues like this... What gets me is that they don't return the same courtesy... I'm dealing with a property line issue even though I had it surveyed and stakes put in the ground.... And I had him come out to see where the lines were and if he wanted to contest. No contest. He still refuses to stop expanding his lawn scalping techniques 6' over the line so his property looks larger. He built over the easment by several feet, however zoning says they can't make him move the house. What are the rules for??? Fine him or something. So I stopped playing nice neighbor and fight back by staying within the rules of my zoning. Try mowing over these big landscape rocks sucker!!! You can only be nice so long, some people only understand retaliation, only then will they decide to work with you.... You've done your neighborlly duties.... Screw the SOB.... I would take his concerns out of your decision making process and only do what you need for your place and I think your place needs a whole lot more temporary lighting.... I'd hold off on the drainage to satisfy him until he redirects that light.... Good luck...
Old 06-28-2003, 08:44 AM
Registered

My Boats: 98 NORTECH 5000V

We don't have any real "rules" or guide lines where I live, it's a private neighborhood with only about 50 houses most old and in need of a dozer. I'm the new kid (32) in town with the big new house. 80% of the other people have blue hair. I don't make hardly any noise yet and haven't even had my first party of any more than 15 people, I have only been here a year.

My drains that he has a problem with are pointed at his house but only because thats the side he is on they are 40 feet from the property line and 60 feet from his drain field.

I knew I should have bought his house when I had the chance, just to knock it down and have a bigger yard.

As far as the French drains the guy is here now and is going to start on the ones that will help me and not him and then I will let the a$$ next door make the call, move the light or get a porta pottie. The drains wont cost as much to do as how much they will add to the house so I don't mind the money I'll spend, and I just ordered 60 6' Leeland cypress tree's from my landscaper to put between us they say in about 3 years I wont even know there is a house over there.
Old 06-28-2003, 09:33 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member
Trade Score: (2)

My Boats: 8' row boat

Here is the deal. Approach him a real friendly terms. Suck it up and by overly nice. Tell him that you are spending $800 to help him with his septic problems. Tell him that in return you'd like him to solve your problem with the light. It's a pretty fair deal as you are going to spend alot more than he will. (assuming that your downspouts are actually the root of his septic problems-which I doubt) You hold off putting the drains in until that light is corrected. If nothing happens, write a letter to the city. They proably have a ordinance requiring all electrical work to have a permit. He proably didn't get a permit for the light. The city will right him a letter and he'll have to correct it.
Old 06-28-2003, 09:36 AM
Registered

I had a similar problem with a neighbor and his motion sensor light. It was very sensitive and shined into our bedroom at night. I asked him several times to point it elsewhere. Each time he said he would but never did. I started shooting the light out with a pellet gun. He accused me of it and I denied it. No evidence to prove it. After I shot out the light about 4 times with 2 visits from the local police who couldn't do anything unless it was witnessed, he finally moved the light. I didn't think I was being unreasonable at all. He installed it when he moved in 2 months before. I have lived here for 14 years. Needless to say he thinks I am whacked and won't come near me.
Old 06-28-2003, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Cigarette 35 Cafe Racer

The pellet gun is a cure-all for most domestic situations. Just don't get caught.

Don't waste your time with the drainage trenching. You have absolutely no responsibility to divert it, if the natural landscape causes the run-off.
Old 06-28-2003, 10:54 AM
Registered

My Boats: Top Gun

Pellet Gun !!! Been there...done that !!!
Pick your times carefully !!