Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Beware of Custom Aluminum Trailers from Houston, TX >

Beware of Custom Aluminum Trailers from Houston, TX

Notices

Beware of Custom Aluminum Trailers from Houston, TX

Old 07-25-2003, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

olt- Did the problem start right away or after a while? If right away the problem you are having is one of the problems I have, just mine is not a s bad. If you tale a straight edge & go alone your tires they should all line up. What happens is the gig that is used to hold the axle as it is welded was not correct. What needs to happen is the axles need to be taken off & straighten up. Wish I could recommend someone to do this.

If problem started later then you probably hit something or the axle has become bent .
Old 07-25-2003, 03:14 PM
outlawntexas

They don't line up with a straight edge. The problem has always been there...

Old 07-25-2003, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had good results from a bad situation with a trailer I bought from them.

While trailering the Top Gun from the ramp to my marina with my brand new trailer with lessthan 400 miles on it, a wheel and tire came off the trailer and passed me on the road. No damage to the axle, but the fender did get hurt a little. It turned out the hub bearing was cracked. Jeff from Custom trailers was notified and he did take care of all problems. Replaced the broken part and sent me a new fender no questions asked. He returned phone calls in a timely manor and was a pleasure to deal with.

Besides, They do build one hell of a trailer, and I am extremly happy with mine except for that one incident

It tows fantastic, looks great, and there were good to deal with....cant ask for much more than that

I hope all works out well for you

Bob
Old 07-25-2003, 04:25 PM
outlawntexas

Great story Bob.

I've talked to a trailer manufacturer here in town and have decided to have it in their shop bright and early Monday morning. He said they would align each axle from the tongue. They will look for bent or worn components. If need be they will move the hangers. He said it's no big deal and should be able to do it all in about 4 hours - with the boat on it.

Bruce...

Old 07-27-2003, 09:49 AM
dave burgess

Default Custom Trailers

I had them build my trailer,for a 43 Nor-Tech,a few minor adjustments,it fit perfectly.I now have over 7000 miles on the trailer loaded,15,ooolbs.I have had some minor problems,but they took care of them right away.By the way,my Chevy Duramax pulls this package 75mph on cruise with no chip,just a KNN air filter,trailer pulls great.I think some peoples problems are their very selves.

Old 07-27-2003, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer

Catmando'
Ihave an extra triple axle for a cat. One is a 98 and the other is a 03. On the way to last years shoot-out I broke a spring on the 98 at the centerpin and the axle came back to rest against one of my drives. taking out one of the fenders and messing up the back. I went and hoppled back home and ordered another trailer, I now have the old one fixed. I can let you have the new one for a good price, It has a adjustable ladder stop and can be used for a 26 thru a 32 ft cat.I have an eliminator but Im sure that the bottoms are very close to other cats. If interested give me a shout..

eliminator219
Old 07-27-2003, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Outlawn

Your axles are out of alignment and it is best they do it w/ boat on it to see the load on the trailer. These trai;lers "flex" with the load and you may have a crack in the frame you don't see.

The axles need to be evenly spaced so you don't dogtrack and wear them unevenly. It sounds like at least 2 of your axles are that way maybe all 3.

Or a bent axle can do the same thing! Either way a professional job to get it done right is cheaper than a new boat when a tire shreds and take the boat into the weeds.

Wannabe
Old 07-28-2003, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow, posting my problem got the manufacture to call me this morning. It seems he just now got my email I sent him from 3 weeks ago????? We'll see how things go.

Dave Burgess - I agree with your statement to a point. My trailer, now that it fits my boat, is great. The service from Custom is poor.

Last edited by Schweeng; 07-29-2003 at 01:16 AM.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Dave,
What's up the H.....r avatar?
TS