Like Tree0Likes

LOTO wave problems recognized...

Old 09-15-2005, 10:42 AM
www.sunriseuph.com
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1988 Cigarette Bullet
Default Re: LOTO wave problems recognized...

We had been coming to the lake on weekends for 15 years before we decided to move down permanately. We opted to buy "up" lake a little ways, the 38 MM where the water was quieter. Well it wasn't bad 5 years ago, the change has been crazy. Especially since they just finished a huge condo complex on the point next to where I live. Like was mentioned the volume of boats created in such a small space can't be a good thing. I hate to think what this lake will be like in another 5 years, its going to do nothing but get worse.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:50 AM
Registered

The first time I went to LOTO (about 3 years ago), it was a non-holiday weekend. We stayed for a week at mile-marker 8, right across from the Horny Toad. On the first day out in my 22' Baja, I was pulled over by the Lake Patrol (in a black/white 38 Donzi, no less). He said I was "out of control" and should park my boat before I kill myself. I was running 40 mph, max. It was quite rough.....
Old 09-15-2005, 10:57 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1986 Fountain 10 Meter

We have lived in the same cove as Frankie and Louie's for 7 years now. Prior to them opening we spent few hundred a year on dock maintenance. Ever since they opened (3 years ago), we now spend a few thousand a year. It infuriates me when I see these big cruisers plowing down the narrow cove at 10-20 knots, putting out 3-5 foot swells. Every once in a while I see some considerate ones heading back at idle speed. The home owners attempted to get the cove a no wake zone last year (all the way to the main channel). Could get enough residents organized in time. The folks at the back of the cove were successful which is why the last 1/4 mile is now no wake. It's a tough situation as we don't want to hurt their business and it is not their fault, but at the same time we can't continue to have propery destroyed.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:05 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Without a doubt. The water at the intersection of the no wake leading under the Grand Glaize bridge where you can either head up towards the Community Bridge or down towards Shooter's 21 is absolutely brutal on the weekends. Sean, where are you at in relation to Evergreens Condos?
i am about 7 or 8 houses towards the main channel from the evergreens....
Old 09-15-2005, 11:10 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1990 Cigarette Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofshore
Interesting a 60' 30,000 lb houseboat displaces less water then a 8,000 lb offshore, judging by the wake of course. You learn something new every day.
Houseboats have a HUGE, flat bottom, so there is less weight PER SQUARE INCH. Add in the fact that they travel very slow, you get very little wake from them.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:11 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
This is our world with "OFFSHORE" boating...........
you know "your world" will fall into the ocean someday...
Old 09-15-2005, 11:12 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Washington
Houseboats have a HUGE, flat bottom, so there is less weight PER SQUARE INCH. Add in the fact that they travel very slow, you get very little wake from them.
there are very few houseboats at LOTO, most of the ones we do have never leave the coves they are anchored in... its the huge cruisers we have a problem with...
Old 09-15-2005, 11:12 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1997 Cig Kevlar - powered by Boyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
This is our world with "OFFSHORE" boating...........
You'd think a guy living there would actually own an "offshore" boat wouldn't ya!

Maybe you should move inland....... I hear the jet boats at Havaslew don't make much of a wake.
Attached Thumbnails
LOTO wave problems recognized...-disaster.jpg  
Old 09-15-2005, 11:49 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boats: 1998 Sonic 386

Rough water, too many boats, and the Party Cove are part of the LOTO experience. I enjoy the rough water in my Sonic. Shootout Saturday was awesome near my place at the 20.5 MM. A quieter alternative to the south is Bull Shoals Lake. Super clear water, small boats and very quiet. Might be worth checking out if you are looking for relaxation.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:54 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveryd
Rough water, too many boats, and the Party Cove are part of the LOTO experience. I enjoy the rough water in my Sonic. Shootout Saturday was awesome near my place at the 20.5 MM. A quieter alternative to the south is Bull Shoals Lake. Super clear water, small boats and very quiet. Might be worth checking out if you are looking for relaxation.
Hey man, don't tell people that! They will be moving down there soon enough. I don't want to listen to my father-in-law ***** about that too.
Stay away from Table Rock also, I hear it can get nasty. Probably not a good place to even think about going. If you want good water go to Truman or Stockton or something North of Springfield, that is HIllbilly, screw your sister country down there. STAY FAR FAR AWAY!