Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Who's made the switch from V to cat? >

Who's made the switch from V to cat?

Notices

Who's made the switch from V to cat?

Old 09-12-2003, 10:37 PM
Just Say N2O

Many people on the board are much more knowledgeable about the history of the marine industry than I am.

Few people will argue that Don Arronow (sp) was a gifted hull designer (Magnum Marine, Donzi, Cigarette, Formula). Once people who were buying his companies figured out that once they bought the company, he would create a new one to compete, I heard he had to sign a non-compete.

Surprise, the next hull design he came out with was a high speed cat (US Offshore of something). I believe they had a narrow tunnel compared to today, but they were Don's next insight.

Old 09-13-2003, 12:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a 30' V, just bought a 36' Spectre Poker Run Edition. It has been the best purchase I have ever made in regards to boats. The wife is much happier due to the nice ride, plus no wind tangling up the hair with the canopies. We had the boat out in the pacific on sunday, 2' wind chop and 3-4 foot swell. The boat rode like it was on rails, unbelivable. No bouncing up and down, and side to side. Just a smooth solid ride. I was a tried and true V bottom guy, got a ride over memorial day weekend in a friends skater at alittle over 130, then bought the spectre. We will never own another V again unless it is a large ocean crusing yacht. Gotta Get A Kitty, Just look out for the insurance!!!!!!!
Old 09-13-2003, 01:08 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Ken:

I drove a 31 American Offshore cat at about 80 MPH through Miami earlier this year, liked the ride but did not like the cabin compared to the Sonic. I have been through some awful storms in the Sonic and I still can't believe a cat could handle ten foot breaking seas like the Sonic can.

Hope you had a good time on Block Island and a safe trip back from Block Island in the fog. Hyperfishing was on our way to Martha's Vineyard but did not like the fog, so we pulled in for the night at Block. The next day there was no fog and we had no problems getting to Edgartown, M.V.

We really enjoyed a nice walk on Block two right turns up the road from the Hotel Marina. Stone fence sheep meadows all over the place, thought we were in Ireland!

Cheers,

Chris
Old 09-13-2003, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default psssssssss

Wish I had a kitty!