Notices

Key West WorldsThe Truth.

Old 09-16-2003, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be going wherever APBA is ... I can't imagine Lee Mills is going to get a ton of boats if it's not sanctioned. This really bites, but I'm not cancelling my room in Key West just yet ... I have however made a hotel reservation in Orange Beach for the week before just in case ... anyone else who is going wherever APBA goes might want to do the same. Just from yesterday to today the hotel I was looking at has blocked out a bunch of rooms and I bet they'll jack the rates up once this is announced for sure.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:06 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by stevequick
I suggested that if all the participants chipped in $200.00 and possibly the LLC a couple large. This mess could go away. Gordo thinks it would be more important to teach Mr. Mills a lesson.
Steve,
Actually, it's not so much to teach Mr. Mills a lesson, but more the fear that Mr. Mills may not be trustworthy enough to put on a good race. What if he lures all the teams there only to gouge us at the 11th hour before race time? If Lee Mills has control of the show, could he pull the rug out from under us at any given moment?
I'm with Nick 100% about working directly with the city of key west. Unfortunately, Lee Mills is the race site producer, meaning he is the one handling the volunteers, logistics, awards, local contacts and so on.
My fear is if Lee Mills was asked to step aside and allow APBA and the city of Key West to work things out without him, would he? or would he try to sabotage the event out of spite?
The thing is, we may go to Alabama and find it to be a great venue. Better central location for teams traveling across the nation, possibly cheaper with better logistics and great spectator viewing. I love Key West, but once we leave we may never go back.
I sincerely hope that something can be worked out between Lee Mills, Key West, and APBA-Offshore LLC. If not, then I'll race wherever APBA-Offshore races.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:48 PM
Registered

My usually reliable sources say it's official. APBA Worlds: Orange Beach, November 10 - 16.

Expect a really official announcement within the next 24hrs.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:48 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Gordo,
Undertsood. SQ
Orders for 08' DVC hulls now being taken.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:02 PM
Registered

I must say, 11/10-16 is very salomonic. Race the official APBA Worlds in Bubba Country, then move on to KW and race the www.asbestosworlds .

After that: Pick the one you won. This is so confused, nobody will ever know which one was which.

"Winner 2003 Key West Offshore Worlds."

"Winner 2003 APBA Offshore Worlds."
Old 09-16-2003, 02:06 PM
DJD
Registered

Why is Lee Mills the one that this whole thing hinges on? It seems that ever since he has been involved, things have been a bug cluster flock.
I have been going to Key West every November since 1984 (& raced there for three years) & never saw any problems. Everything ran smoothly & everyone was happy.
How come when L. Mills (& the particular sanctioning body) get involved, everything blows up???????????
Old 09-16-2003, 02:12 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Peconic
Baja: One thing is for sure .. if there are massive cancellations, empty hotel rooms and deserted bars in the middle of November, the Key West Chamber of Commerce will use whoever caused this as shark bait.

AGREED!!!!!!
Old 09-16-2003, 02:13 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Check the history books and you'll see what has taken place before the LLC took over. APBA Offshore has proved that when the show arrives in town , it is a great venue. It really sucks that KW is done this year but we have to make the best of things. Alabama here we come! BH
Old 09-16-2003, 02:52 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

We were at the Orange Beach SBI race in August. The course is very spectator friendly. The entire course runs in front of a long line of rental condos.We were on the 6th floor and coud see everything without binoculars. Lots watched from the beach and could see everything. Lots of good restaurants Gary is one of the owners of Live Bait and Live Bait II,which was race headquarters. The dry pits were very accessable,everybody had a good time. Gary and his crew put together a great event with no prior experience. I can't wait to see what they will do on this one.The condos along the course are the Pheonix,think there are 5. We stayed in 5,about 3/4 way down the front straightway They are booked thru a local realtor ,Brett/Robinson,888-633-7101,or www.thisisalabama.com .Yall come on down and we will show you some Alabama hospitality.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I Go I 'm staying At Magicfloat's House I hear he is a Party animal!

Quick Reply: Key West WorldsThe Truth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.