Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why doesn't everyone Document their boat's? >

Why doesn't everyone Document their boat's?

Notices

Why doesn't everyone Document their boat's?

Old 03-28-2014, 03:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KY tried to send me a bill for sales tax after I bought my boat in Maryland. I argued that if I owed anybody sales tax it was the state of Maryland. I had to provide a bill of sale and they dropped it. I guess it took a couple of years for the revenue dept to catch up with the CG documentation before they finally sent me a property tax bill for the last 5 years.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Like said before in this thread, we have so many different agencies around here which half don't even know the laws they are supposed to enforce. I have been on a boat (not mine) that was documented that was pulled over by some local cops. When asked about the numbers the owner told them it was documented and he had the paperwork I herd one of the cops say to him, "that may work for the Coast Guard but this is our water". This was all less then 200 yards from a USCG station.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
Like said before in this thread, we have so many different agencies around here which half don't even know the laws they are supposed to enforce. I have been on a boat (not mine) that was documented that was pulled over by some local cops. When asked about the numbers the owner told them it was documented and he had the paperwork I herd one of the cops say to him, "that may work for the Coast Guard but this is our water". This was all less then 200 yards from a USCG station.
Idiots in govt...What a surprise...
Old 03-30-2014, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Only dealing with a title at a state level was much easier for me . I display state stickers , numbers and a current coast guard aux safety inspection sticker . Haven't been pulled over in years .
Old 03-30-2014, 08:54 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Documented, no reg numbers or sticker (except Safety Indpection). Haven't been pulled over.

MA Environmental Police website has FAQ on "do I need to register my boat"

A: ".... Boats exempt from registration requirements include those that do not use motors, and documented vessels (large boats that are issued a marine document and registration through the U.S. Coast Guard). ..."
Old 03-30-2014, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

in illinois it does not matter if you are documented you still have to register the boat with the state.illinois requires you to pay a recreational use tax RUT.when i bought my fountaln i sent them a copy of the sales receit and the amount the chart said i owed for the price i paid for the boat.they sent me a letter stating that my boat was worth more than i paid for it and i owed them more money because they base it on fair market value.i explained to them that i bought it with one blown engine and the other one was tired and also needed to be rebuilt.they wanted paperwork to prove what i said was true so like a fool i sent them a copy of the bills for all the parts i bought to rebuild the engines,most of the parts were bought out of state,they then sent me a bill for state sales tax on all the parts from out of state.illinois is spending more money than they are recieving to enforce the tax laws.govener quinn is a total idiot,it,s no wonder the state is broke,thats what happens when a moron is at the helm.[END OF RANT]
Old 03-31-2014, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

When my Dad had bigger boats we had one documented and would constantly get stopped. It got so bad we 'lost' the registration on my little boat and faked the numbers with the 'lost' sticker and never got pulled over again. On the next big boat he just paid cash and had standard registration. Never got stopped. It seems 90 percent of water cops are jealous morons.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
in Illinois it does not matter if you are documented you still have to register the boat with the state.Illinois requires you to pay a recreational use tax RUT
Mike,

According to Section 3-12 of the Boat Registration and Safety Act you don't have to register the boat with the DNR depending on how much you boat in Illinois. And according to the RUT-75-X instructions
"Line 5f: The watercraft must be exempted from the numbering
provisions of Section 3-12 of the Boat Registration and Safety Act.

However, tax is owed if the watercraft
• is exempted from the numbering provisions under paragraphs A,B, C, F, or G, AND
• is used on Illinois waters for more than 30 days in any calendar year."

So by the way I read this you are not required to pay the tax if you are NOT boating on Illinois water ways for more than 30 days per year AND the boat is registered with the Coast Guard.

Last edited by Precision; 03-31-2014 at 03:50 PM.