Like Tree9Likes

Why doesn't everyone Document their boat's?

Old 09-17-2003, 02:08 PM
Registered

My Boats: 28ft Saber, 22 Velocity
Default Why doesn't everyone Document their boat's?

Around here (Kansas & Missouri) it seems everyone Documents their boat's as long as they meet the requirements, which I believe to have something to do with the Tonage, (usually about 28ft and longer)

However I've noticed that some larger boats have regular number's on them?? For instance in the most recent POWERBOAT mag. the pictures of the Poker Run to Catalina Island the big cat's from California and Arizona have numbers on the side of the boat!???

Why not Document?

From what I understand, if you document then you save on taxes and registration?? Actually I really don't know what all you save or not other than it costs about $600 to $1100 to do it and then there is a clause that if they needed it the Goverment could use it if needed??? (During war time)??

Can anyone explain this to me?? You would think since I've been around boat's for so long I would know!!!!
Old 09-17-2003, 02:35 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

My Boats: 28 Apache

Some states I believe still charge sales tax. In KS on documented boats no sales tax and believe it is the same for Mo.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:57 PM
(aka) Pure Adrenaline
Platinum Member

My Boats: 90 MPH Top Gun, Full Stagger, 580cid Donovans

My Cigarette is documented and I have to look when I get home but the gross weight of the boat has alot to do with it. Very big fines if you do not meet the requirements. Also name of boat and home port have to be a certain size. All you need is a bill of sale from the seller. The Coast Guard doesn't care about a title and thats were the sales tax come in. You are required to have a state sticker from your home port or you will be pulled over, and your home port can be anywhere. TRUST ME on that one. $ 35.00 bucks for 3 years in Ohio and I haven't been pulled over since I put that on and I live in Indiana. They ask that you use the state where you do most of your boating.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:04 PM
Registered
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: Sonic

i know alot of people who have thier boats documented, but they also display numbers on the outside. They were tired of getting pulled over all the time for not having any numbers on the boat. the police would give them the full equipment and sobriety checks everytime they were pulled over...even after they found that the boat was documented.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:05 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Azimut

I imagine each state has different regulation. Also you don't need to document if you don't have a marine mortgage on your rig.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:21 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1986 Fountain 10 Meter
Default CG Documentation in Missouri

When I tried to notify Missouri that I had a documented boat, they informed me that I had to supply proof that a sales tax had been paid, pay a registration fee of $30 and a certification fee of $7.50. They then sent me registration sticker good for 3 years. I was also told that I needed to go the county court house and pay personal property taxes to the county listed as the home port.
The form is call Application for Documented Vessel Certificat of Registration.
If you do not pay sales tax, they have something called the "In-Lieu of Watercraft tax" based on the purchase price of the vessel.

Doug
Old 09-17-2003, 03:26 PM
Registered

Every state is different. In some states it does not matter if your boat is documented or not you still are required to have it registered with the state. Documenting your boat with the coast guard does not make you from being tax exempt (but usually you are).

I am in Kentucky and I do documentation. In Kentucky, if your boat is documented you do not need to be registered with the clerks office. Since your boat is not registered with the clerks office you will not get a property tax bill every year.

FunHome- Those documentation rates you have listed are outrageous do some checking you can find it done alot cheaper. I only charge $350.00 You can even do it yourself the USCG helps you. For more info. and forms go on their website at www.uscg.com
Old 03-28-2014, 09:42 AM
Registered

My Boats: 353 fastech

so what numbers would you display on the outside of the boat ? im documenting mine in ks right now
Old 03-28-2014, 09:49 AM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

My Boats: 28 Apache

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajabeas View Post
so what numbers would you display on the outside of the boat ? im documenting mine in ks right now
The problem if you do that in KS you do not get a KS registration sticker which is not a problem if you only boat in Kansas. If you go out of state odds are you will be pulled over.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:55 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

My Boats: SeaDoo RXP & RXP-X, Stryker Equalizer 28, Eliminator Daytona Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajabeas View Post
Texas, state registration number and sticker good for two years 3' back from the bow on ether side below rub rail, exceptions for low freeboard vessels.

As previously mentioned, states are after as much revenue as they can find, no stickers gives them an excuse to check you out.

They will find a way to get our money in the form of taxes or fines.