Notices

2 or 3 axile trailer?

Old 10-06-2003, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of good points...

I find the sway argument is pretty mute on a boat trailer- boats are inherently more aerodynamic (compared to my 26' Vnose enclosed race trailer) but the main thing is the axles are waaayyy back their which makes for a lot of stability and smooth tracking.

If you're getting a lot of sway with a tandem boat trailer I'd have to say you've got problems with tires, pressures or tongue weight. I prefer torsions but would not pass up a good deal on a leaf spring trailer.

As You know, I just bought VB's 28' pantera, it tracked awesome on the 4 hr tow home on 44 and backroads running 60-80 behind my SRW dodge 3500. It's on leafs, 5200lb axles and 225/75 15 radials rated at 2540 each. This set-up would be awesome for you. Hell, if I had my lift already you could borrom my trailer.

FWIW- I tow 20k a year all over (Rockcrawling racer)
Old 10-06-2003, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it all comes down to personal preference I have a tri-axle trailer that tows great going down the road but gets a little tricky in tight spots, the worst seems to be gas stations if you can't find a truck stop or somewhere that has lots of room. I've never had a problem at a boat ramp they always seem to have plenty of room and you'll get use to how they turn. like someone else mentioned it might give you a little more security having three axles in case you blow a tire and have to limp somewhere to get it fixed. Tandem axles are much easier to maneuver as well as cheaper to maintain. As far as how they pull down the road, if their set up properly you shouldn't notice the difference. So it all boils down to what you want and are comfortable with they should both preform equally as well.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:16 AM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally posted by lotoparty
thanks for the lead chart!
i have to get several ducks in a row.
my current truck is a 1/2 ton dodge 4x4 which isnt big enough to pull the brave.
having it transported would cost at least 1600.00
so......... i have to find a truck..........and find a trailer sometime in the next 2 weeks
maybe i should just fly down and buy a truck , trailer and the boat in florida

anyone have a clean one owner truck for sale in florida lol
I am up for a road trip we can take my dually Steve. Call me this evening.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:40 PM
bn
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

mcollinstn - would you be able to post pictures of your "self jacks"? I am very interested in how to do this.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 10-07-2003, 09:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

bn.

Sure. I promised Cat I'd get dimensions. I might as well take pix as well. Probably be next week before I get a chance to do it, but when I do I'll pm you them.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:07 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Go tandem.

I have a 7000GVW S.Fl Aluminum for my 28 Pantera with twin 502s. It's pretty much the same weight as the Apache.
You should get a tandem, 10,000lb trailer. there's no need for triple axle on the small boat.. Triples on that small of a boat look pretty stupid if you ask me..

My 7000GVW trailer is not enough for my boat. The boat came with the trailer when I bought it. I would certainly have opted for the heavier unit.
South Florida actually just waranteed the two I beams on my trailer....
Armstrong Trailer is right here as well. They build about the best trailer for the buck. But you have to remember that you get what you pay for.
My trailer has two outside big bunks, two inside keel bunks, and two forward keel bunks. Very good support.

Need a truck?
I'm planning to get into a new Duramax, so my '00 GMC Crew Dually 4x4 is for sale.. 454 with banks power pack, 4.10 gears... you get the picture. It pulls like a freight train.

When are you planning to come down for the boat??
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation