Like Tree0Likes

handgun advice

Old 11-20-2003, 08:52 PM
Registered

My Boats: 98 NORTECH 5000V

You can't buy any new guns with more than a 12 round clip now. I don't know what year that law came out. I have about ten hand guns from 22-45 cal. Colt, Ruger, Taurus, Wilson. The Wilson KZ 45 Compact is by far the best carry gun I have. I also have a $3500 Colt 45 that I love but it's a bit big to carry all the time. The Desert Eagle is junk, but if you run out of ammo you can always beat them to death with that big heavy pig. You wont need a holster for it you need a wheel barrow.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:25 PM
Registered

My Boats: was a 89" Formula 311-SR1

I love my .40 caliber Beretta, extremely accurate, great knockdown power, very well balanced. Have owned it for ten years or so, shot at least two thousand rounds through it and have never had a single problem. Extremely easy breakdown to clean. Keep it loaded and with 2 spare clips of "Black Talons". (minature chainsaws)
Old 11-20-2003, 09:30 PM
Registered
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: 31 Resin bucket

smith & wesson .40 as the daily driver , kel-tec 32 7 shot for the suits. fits in the palm of your hand , lightweight and will hit what you want to hit
Old 11-20-2003, 09:54 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1989 Cigarette Bullet

Beretta or Glock.

Buck
Old 11-20-2003, 10:09 PM
Registered

I would suggest going to a range that rents them and try out a bunch. thats what I did, ended up with a .45 Glock and went back a few years later and got a 9mm Beretta. My Glock holds 15 rounds, I'm not positive but I think you can purchase the old higher capacity clips at gun shows. As far as needing the extra rounds, I sure do, as I don't see real well at night, esp without my glasses.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:19 PM
Registered

Find one that fits your hand well and learn how to hit what you aim at. In my opinion the best guns are (and I'm not alone in this view):

1. Sig Sauer (tie)
1. Hechler Koch (tie)
3. Walther (tie)
3. Glock (tie)
5. Kimber
6. Colt (1911)
7. Browning (Hi Power)
8. Beretta
9. Smith and Wesson

Try a few. The 1911 model is considered a fairly easy design for many people to shoot well. However, the recoil is more than some can handle and the grip is somewhat narrow and is a bit tiring for some people with big hands to hold for long. If it was me, I'd look seriously at the HK (USP or P7), the Sig (particularly new SigPro or new Sig 1911) and the any of the Glocks or Walthers. But, whatever you do, learn to hit what you aim at with the gun you buy as they will all take some getting used to.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:21 PM
29Fever

It scares the **** out of me knowing all you thugs are packin' heat!

I have a S&W 9. It's too small for my hand and I need all 15 rounds to hit anything! Use a .12 gauge and saw off the barrel!

Old 11-20-2003, 10:28 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

My Boats: 1979 Formula 302, 99 Formula 353, 81 Donzi 18 2+3 with 454

My money would be with a Hechler Koch or Sig if you want reliable. I would NEVER use a Glock as a carry gun as I have seen more of them jam in shooting competition then I care to see and that makes me wonder why any one would want them. Most people are shifting to the 40mm's for carry and that is the hot ticket now. My carry gun is very small S&W 5 shot. It is what I call a gut gun. You can not hit anything more then a couple feet away but you can shoot it from your pocket. There is no hammer on the gun so if you have to pull it out of your pocket you will not get it caught on your pants. Remember what ever you get practice practice practice.

Jon
Old 11-20-2003, 10:56 PM
Registered
Gold Member

For a .380 - Walther PPK, I have one in stainless - 10+1 semi-auto, thin, accurate and reliable. Also have a .380 Solothurn, 10+1 semi-auto, nice piece! Glock model 17, pre-ban, (2) 17 round and (1) 15 round clip to go with it, great collectors item (was former Boston PD issue, recon'd by Glock before I bought it, has "Boston PD" on the slide - my fav.!) Easiest / fav. to carry, .25 cal. Baretta, 8+1, very small but packs a decent punch for a little guy, or so the watermelon showed me

H&K's are awesome, as are Sig's, can't go wrong with either. Desert Eagle, save your money...

And be sure that you know how they work, how they shoot and never pull it out unless you are putting it away for the night or are prepared to use it, mentally and physically... It ain't the movies, "freeze" doesn't cut it out there.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:04 PM
Registered

My Boats: Fast boats, Harleys

Colt Mustang .380