handgun advice

Old 11-20-2003, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks guys..the desert eagle was strickly for nove;ty
Old 11-20-2003, 10:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I disaggree with many on the Desert Eagle. It is just not for someone with small hands. I put quite a few rounds through a .44 DE that I bought back when they first came out. I never had a problem with the gun, even with hollow points. The recoil springs mean business, and will definitely chamber a round.

I successfully deterred a crime with one, and no one can dispute the OH**** factor of the muzzle.

I don't think it is the best carry gun, but it appears that he has 3 guns in mind for various purposes.

For carrying I also would not recommend a .454 Casull premiere grade, or a MAC-10 .45 with 40 round clips, or a U.S. Army issue XM-21 sniper rifle with a 3X9 AR-TEL scope, or a Soviet Dragunov, but they are all fun to shoot. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The good old model 1911 works, as do the Berettas, Sigs, HK's, etc. For a carry gun the more important issue is training. Double tapping helps your odds, too!

Bulldog
Old 11-20-2003, 10:34 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You have to be REAL carefull with a PPK as they are so small that when you grab them in a hurry you can grab them to high and the slide can RR track your hand. I have seen it happen and it does NOT look fun.

Jon
Old 11-20-2003, 11:38 PM
Registered

www.sigforum.com

www.rugerforum.com

i have a sig 229 in 40 S&W... as well as a fitted drop in 357 sig barrel for it (factory sig, not a barsto)... i really like this gun. i have small hands, it fits me well and is a pleasure to shoot. As well as versitile being 2 guns in one... takes literally 1 minute or less to swap barrels... if i really want she is concealable enough but maybe not quite comfortable...

I also handload all of my own ammunition and she'll eat anything i toss at her... light to heavy... and i have NEVER had a misfeed or failure to extract in the 3000 or so rounds i've put through her. i have some impressive stuff coming out of the end and through the chrono for hunting loads if i so chose to use it... 135 gr nosler jacketed HP at 1580 average fps (10 shot average). the 150 noslers / 155 gold dots are flying right at 1400 fps... gotta love hodgdon longshot... recoil is about the same as 8 gr of winchester wst behind a 155 speer gold dot and does not rack the slide hard... wst is the way to go for almost zero muzzle flash... NO signs of high pressure with these loads and safe in the sig due to a fully supported chamber. this is one downfall of the Glock... unsupported chambers which can lead to case bulging and splitting if +p type loads are cycled.

the 357 sig is a barn burner... extremely accurate due to the bottle neck design which head spaces it off of the shoulder instead of off of the case lip like straight walled cartridges...

my SERIOUS gun is the ruger blackhawk chambered for 45 Long Colt... the rugers have strong frames so you can use +p type loads.. and some folks go waaaay beyond that... (linbaugh as an example)... she has a few deer to her name... none have ever lived to tell the tale if i have drawn a beed... 50 yds and that's all she wrote... and a blast to shoot... but it is a single action wheel gun...
Old 11-21-2003, 12:03 AM
Registered

Default Right On Jaroot

Sig all the way. I've shot Glock, H & K, etc. etc. (all nice) but my P229 is reliable, 2 guns in one, fairly compact, and the .357 or .40 have some real stopping power if you need it. Tritium night sights and a laser....what else would you need?

Well, actually if you have money to blow and want competition accuracy, my Les Baer .45 would be recommended. Guaranteed to shoot a TIGHT pattern.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:59 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

if you're lookign for novelty look at a Taurus Raging Bull. Biggets handgun made.

I was shoting wiath guy who had one. It was louder than the 12 guage i was shooting and i was firing slugs. And th eguy must have been 300lb an he could barely hang onto the damn thing. Kept hitting the dirt abtou 15 yards out.

But if you want a ridiculous over the top hand canon, you can;t beat it.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:57 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Audio makes a good point, I have cut may hand with the PPK and the .25 Baretta, it stings a bit. But then again if it's a life & death situation, I'll take the cut and the pain over a hole in the ground...
Old 11-21-2003, 09:04 AM
Registered

Desert Eagle....well they are pretty cool, and are more controlable than you would think, but pretty useless other wise. But if you got the bucks.

- .45 Sig-Sauer. Own'em, compete with'em, one of the few guns I would trust my life with.

- .380 (or .32) if you can find one....Seecamp.
Hand crafted, stainless, no biger than a wallet and another gun you can count on every time.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:06 AM
Registered

DoTheMath.

Yeah, those PPK's bite me right at the top of my hands web. Sucks, because I like the guns, just can't shoot'em
with out sheding blood.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:08 AM
Registered

Mag. capacity is limited to 10 rds. + 1. on all guns, except L.E. models.

50. D.E. IMO, I agree, a waste, plus it's a 1.00 per round to shoot. as a novelty, yes its awesome.

IMO don't bother w/ a 9mm unless you want to target shoot cheaply. ammo runs 7-8 for 9mm 8-9 for 40. and 10-11 per box for 45.

that being said I have two 40.'s and love them both. great velocity and very good stopping power.

don't waste your time w/ a wimpy 38. there are a lot of very concealable guns on the market in 40. cal. Glock 27 is example. God forbit you ever need to use it, but if you do, you want stopping and knock down power.

Manufacturers I like in no particular order:

Beretta 96. compact 40. inox finish is beautiful.
Glock 27 40.
H&K usp
sig
kimber
Springfield

Also what is very important is for you to go and see what fits your hand and what is comfortable. depending on the size of your hand, it makes a difference, it should feel natural, no stretching to reach ANYTHING, trigger, safety, de-cocker, mag. release.

Last edited by Chris232; 11-21-2003 at 10:05 AM.

Quick Reply: handgun advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.