Notices

Article on Key West

Old 11-26-2003, 08:38 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally posted by Cignificant
"Those numbers do not include the 20 stock outboard boats that raced Saturday, which he said did not count toward the 40-boat requirement. "

Did anybody actaully see this race? Where was it?
I saw some pictures of some little 12 footers with outboards that had #'s on them..Is that what he is talking about?
Old 11-26-2003, 08:39 AM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Cignificant
"Those numbers do not include the 20 stock outboard boats that raced Saturday, which he said did not count toward the 40-boat requirement. "

Did anybody actaully see this race? Where was it?

Were they the kneeldown stock outboards or the SuperSports that ran in the bay at St Pete??
Old 11-26-2003, 08:45 AM
BK
Registered

A thread on this was started at the hydro site:

http://www.hydroracer.net/forums/sho...=9924#post9924
Old 11-26-2003, 05:58 PM
AIRTIME

About Danny I know him and he is a down to earth nice guy. he helped me last year at the cape race I was thee smallest boat there ! I needed a gen to run tools with and he said take what you need , and in 93 he started in stock class 28ft skater o he won the worlds that yr to give him a break gezz ps Idrive a FORD, JEEP

Old 11-26-2003, 06:25 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default A bit of history

Originally posted by NASTY HABIT
10/30 Boycott announced

10/30 Boycott recognized

11/4 "at least 100 boats"

not splitting hairs but that is what was said. or at least what I read. I didn't race anywhere in any of the so called worlds next year I hope to race 3 or 4 or more...2004 Year of the Boat Race Whore
And the beat goes on............

In 1988 a group of racers disappointed with APBA's handling of various issues......... broke away and formed OPT (Offshore Performance Tour). This group was formed by and ultimately consisted of...the larger class boat owners. The group, including Popeyes, Don Johnson, and other luminaries of the sport recruited the young John Carbonell as General manager...and began to sanction non APBA "National" races with a fair sized television contract .

A few years later, another group composed of northeast regional racers, who originally campaigned under Billy Frenz's NPBA banner, later changing to USOPBRA and finally Bill Gifford's US Offshore Racing Association, also formed a "National" Circuit.

In the early 90's there were, in fact three separate "national" circuits....complete with competing and confusing TV packages. This represented the worst possible scenario for a sport with barely enough traction to support even one full fledged "series". Anyone without a selfish or ego driven agenda realised that unity ...and only unity....... could allow the sport to prosper.

OPT declared bankruptcy giving a glimmer of hope, but like a tenacious bulldog, it re-emerged as first SBR and later SBI.......with ever diminishing fleets.

USORA after a number of years, staged joint events with SBI at times...and eventually faded away.

In the mid 90's Don Jones, then APBA Offshore chairman, was able to stage a joint World Championship event at Key West with all three bodies present...and it was the biggest race in many years. Unfortunately Don Jones was wildly unpopular with too many people and was discharged by APBA's hierarchy. Gene Whipp stepped in , and after a couple of years managed to , once again, get APBA and SBI together at Key West (USORA by then was an after thought).

Today after all the bluster and self congratulatory rhetoric...... We are back at Square one...or is it Square three?

My point you ask?

1. To acquaint the newcomers to the simple fact that nothing we have seen in the past three years is either "new", "unique", or an "improvement". In fact it has resulted in little more than a series of fading sponsor banners trumpeting everything from Warlock Boat's alleged "sponsorship", (Remember Richard whatsisname?) to one "Backstreet Boy"s" annointment as the "future"....and of course a string of lawsuits.

2. To break the problem down to the simple basic issue. The sport needs a single, unified.......sensible......non agenda driven......non litigious...... leadership and sanctioning vehicle....and such an entity ...in spite of the protestations from the young golf shirt wearing crowd in western Florida....

DOES NOT AT PRESENT EXIST.

Happy Thanksgiving to all .......even you lawyers, sales and marketing types and political guys.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 11-26-2003 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:42 PM
BK
Registered

Default Re: A bit of history

Originally posted by T2x

2. To break the problem down to the simple basic issue. The sport needs a single, unified.......sensible......non agenda driven......non litigious...... leadership and sanctioning vehicle....and such an entity .......
DOES NOT AT PRESENT EXIST.
Want to hear something ironic?

In the Unlimited Hydroplane world, such an entity....

DOES EXIST.

But the funny thing is, these racers are STILL not satisfied.

Which goes back to my previous musings that......

If boat racers want this sport to ever succeed, they must come to the realization that a PERFECT SERIES, ONE THAT MEETS ALL DREAMS AND EXPECTATIONS OF EACH AND EVERY TEAM AND SPONSOR....

......WILL NEVER EXIST.

Here are snippings of the press release from yesterday:

NEW HYDROPLANE RACING SERIES TO DEBUT IN 2005
Tukwila WA: November 24, 2003

A major new initiative in hydroplane racing was launched at the annual meeting of the Unlimited Light Hydroplane Racing Association, Inc. on Saturday
November 22nd. The ULHRA, which oversees the rapidly growing Unlimited Light Hydroplane Racing Series, has created a new series for larger and more powerful hydroplanes, powered by automotive engines.

Visit www.ulhra.org

Last edited by BK; 11-26-2003 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:02 PM
Registered

Default Re: A bit of history

[QUOTE]Originally posted by T2x
[In the mid 90's Don Jones, then APBA Offshore chairman, was able to stage a joint World Championship event at Key West with all three bodies present...and it was the biggest race in many years.

That was 1994, a total of 143 boats raced on wednesday!
Old 11-27-2003, 09:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

143 Boats! Damn I bet all of OSO would be there for that. I know I would Love to see a race with 100 + boats. as would most I think.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Sunday race was good, Some pretty good action, But I got to tell you it was much more fun and exciting to watch some of the Poker Runners go out and play on the course. And the show they put on coming into the bight Sat afternoon was much better than any race over the week !!!! The poker run was the highlight of the whole weekend It just so happened there was a race in town at the same time

Bob
Old 11-27-2003, 09:33 PM
merlin540

IT WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE SOMEONE TO RACE AGAINST IN P1 INSTEAD OF DRIVING AROUND FOR 7 LAPS BY MYSELF TO BECOME A WORLD CHAMPION. JUST MY 2 CENTS WORTH

Quick Reply: Article on Key West

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.