Notices

Article on Key West

Old 11-27-2003, 11:08 PM
merlin540

Default P1

YOU MEAN SUPERCAT LIGHT INBOARDS WHO DONT CARE ABOUT BREAKING OUT OF THERE 110 MPH BRACKET. I RAN THE GLSCS SERIES ALL SEASON WITH ONLY 1 OTHER P1 BOAT. ORANGE BEACH WORLDS NO P1 BOATS SHOWED UP EITHER. SBI DEERFIELD BEACH NO P1 BOATS. THATS THE FACTS. I GUESS I BETTER BUY A 36 CANOPY SKATER TO RACE AND TURN MY 32 SKATER OPEN INTO A PLEASURE BOAT. SEE YA

Old 11-28-2003, 07:54 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: Re: A bit of history

Originally posted by BK
Want to hear something ironic?

In the Unlimited Hydroplane world, such an entity....

DOES EXIST.
But the funny thing is, these racers are STILL not satisfied.

Visit www.ulhra.org
BK:

I agree but ....my point is that when real leadership and performance at the top exists, quarreling diminishes, and racer populations increase. There will never, in fact, be a perfect series.......... But, that does not give license to a management theory of "Let Them Eat Cake". There are two sides to the swing of any pendulum...... with unrealistic expectations or results at each extreme.

What I am suggesting is that a truly successful approach satisfies most of the people...most of the time.
and Not....... a handfull of people, investors and sponsors ALL of the time...and the h*ll with everybody else......

This involves listening more....... and compromising at times......

T2x

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving to MS. K.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:59 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally posted by CAP071
143 Boats! Damn I bet all of OSO would be there for that. I know I would Love to see a race with 100 + boats. as would most I think.
Wanna Race?
Attached Thumbnails Article on Key West-gc1965_3.jpg  
Old 11-28-2003, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ahh, the Gold Coast Marathon.. Got the pic of the guy on the door??

Scott B
Old 11-28-2003, 10:07 AM
BK
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: A bit of history

Originally posted by T2x
BK:

I agree but ....my point is that when real leadership and performance at the top exists, quarreling diminishes, and racer populations increase. There will never, in fact, be a perfect series.......... But, that does not give license to a management theory of "Let Them Eat Cake". There are two sides to the swing of any pendulum...... with unrealistic expectations or results at each extreme.

What I am suggesting is that a truly successful approach satisfies most of the people...most of the time.
and Not....... a handfull of people, investors and sponsors ALL of the time...and the h*ll with everybody else......

This involves listening more....... and compromising at times......

T2x

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving to MS. K.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Rich,

Thank you and I hope you and your family are enjoying the holiday weekend!

Now about your comments above "a truly successful approach satisfies most of the people...most of the time"

This approach will only work when the sport of boat racing is on a roll. Satisfying the competitors happens AFTER the success. Success and satisfaction goes hand in hand.

If the sport boat racing is losing viewership and losing sponsorship, then a true leader will disregard doing the "popular thing" and make some bold moves to do the "right thing".

Following status quo is easy; but making bold changes that you know is going set some pretty important people off (most especially those who are used to always getting their way) is far more difficult.

But the majority of boat racers do not pay very much attention to the demographics or what makes a sport tick. Most cannot even begin to give stats on how many viewers are watching Offshore on TV today, compared to 5 years ago.

While there are some boat racers who know that to grow a series, there will be sacrifice. (Miss Bud Team and Bernie Little, for example) But there are many more who are only concerned with instant gratification and their own personal satisfaction; only what THEY are getting, not the full picture of what the goals are for the sport itself.

A true leader is doing what is best for the entire sport, despite any unpopular views. He knows he won't win every battle and knows he will lose friends. When making drastic changes sometimes things don't feel too good at first, but a true competitor who wants to see the SPORT succeed, will join the General as a soldier in this fight.

But in almost ALL of boat racing, we can never seem to get to that point. We could probably blame this on failure to communicate the winning "game plan" strategy. Perhaps an objectives committee needs to be established, one that keeps in close contact with the "soldiers" about their progress.

The typical scenario is that after only a few years, some *new* group always shows up to undo the previous leaders progress, and we start over from scratch
.........:::sigh:::

Last edited by BK; 11-28-2003 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:20 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: A bit of history

Originally posted by BK
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Rich,

But in almost ALL of boat racing, we can never seem to get to that point. The typical scenario is that after only a few years, some *new* group always shows up to undo the previous leaders progress, and we start over from scratch .........:::sigh:::
Amen.... Here's hoping that we can stop the pattern now...... and learn that in most cases.........

the wheel................ has already been invented.

T2x
Old 11-28-2003, 10:37 AM
BK
Registered

In the late 1800's, Railroad barrons owned America. The world was under the impression that riding the rails would always be the main source of transportation for the masses.

Then came Henry Ford.

Conclusion: The notion that "things should always remain as they always have been" will lead you to straight to imminent defeat. The world will always make room for another inventor.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:49 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally posted by BK
In the late 1800's, Railroad barrons owned America. The world was under the impression that riding the rails would always be the main source of transportation for the masses.

Then came Henry Ford.

Conclusion: The notion that "things should always remain as they always have been" will lead you to straight to imminent defeat. The world will always make room for another inventor.
Yep.....But we seem to be creating single wheeled vehicles to ride backwards on double railed tracks......

Just because something is new and different....doesn't make it better.......

Offshore racing is about 3 "M's" Man, Machine and Mastering the elements. The idiot who added "Madison Avenue", and "Marketing Models" to this........ deserves his fate.

T2x
Old 11-28-2003, 10:59 AM
BK
Registered

Just because something is new and different....doesn't make it better.......
Ah! But we never get to the point to know if it would have! Reformation for a new direction takes time - It is not something that can be done over a few years time.

Also.........Whose 3M's are those?
In my world it could mean MOMS, MACHINES, and MASTERING ELEMENTS.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:08 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally posted by BK
Ah! But we never get to the point to know if it would have! Reformation for a new direction takes time - It is not something that can be done over a few years time.

Also.........Whose 3M's are those?
In my world it could mean MOMS, MACHINES, and MASTERING ELEMENTS.
Anything is better then

MEDIOCRITY, MEDIOCRITY and MEDIOCRITY.

Have a great weekend.

Rich

Quick Reply: Article on Key West

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.