Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Someone tell me if I'm heading in the wrong path? >

Someone tell me if I'm heading in the wrong path?

Notices

Someone tell me if I'm heading in the wrong path?

Old 11-30-2003, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that was my point concerning the book value. it also depends on the season. they'll be much more valuable come March or April. anyway, I think 135K cash would do it and this would make it the cheapest one I've ever seen. And I don't know what they charge for this kinda stuff in the US but for 20K, you could really make it nice, even have the hull awlgripped in blue. what are the hours on engines? overall condition? the interior seems to be in good shape...
Old 11-30-2003, 09:04 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

ST,
I'll see when I get to Florida if it is still available. I have a few Tigers I want to go over also 3 in FL and 1 in NY state.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:25 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

GL you can do a lot of paint work if you can get it for that kind of money. Plus a Hydro Hoist However I have to say you are comparing apples with coconuts!!!!! You know that you will be hurting the first time some one blows past you in a fast rig. Think about if you are ready to hang it up this early.....

Jon
Old 12-01-2003, 02:04 AM
Registered

ST your going to get everyone on this site looking at SS now!!!
Old 12-01-2003, 05:50 AM
Registered

Dreamer, given your avatar I just don't think I'll be able to sell you the SS idea just like that. And Sunseekers are not for everybody but the point is that they will be a perfect choice for some people and that those people should at least consider them. The tragedy is that some people who would really enjoy this type of boat do not even consider them because they are looked upon less than favourably by the powerboating community. Buying a boat is about what you want and need, not about what others will think.

True, some boats will pass you but I guarantee that a 48 SS will not be the last boat to arrive if it gets rough out there. Besides, unless you have something very "unreasonable" like a canopied Skater with turbines and are pushing 200mph, you're likely to be passed anyway... Sometimes, arriving in style is more important than arriving first... and the journey is often more important than the arrival. And the Sunseeker certainly delivers in both departments.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

ST- you give ME a break.....
you come on here what, a whole month ago then start going on how when it comes to go fasts your "sick" of this and "sick" of that and our boats have no, in your words..... "class".... on a site dedicated to go fast boats!!! and then start name dropping all over the place on all the royal people who own them.......please!!!
That would be like me going over to your Sea Ray site(assuming they have one, I wouldnt know) and saying, "Hey guys, you know your boats are a bunch of fat, overwieght, underpowered behemoths and Im sick of this and sick of that, you guys should go buy a go fast"........and then wonder why I pissed off a few people.....
Furthermore, I used to be wary of passing a cruiser, after a channel, getting completly airbourne and accelerating away.....I thought I might be freaking them out even though the boat is so capable of it.....but then I'd stop somewhere later in the day and these guys would be seeking me out and coming up to talk to me and I'd think ...."oh oh here it comes......their pissed" instead they 'd say "OH MAN!, when you passed me back there that was the wildest thing Ive ever seen!!!.....what motors do you have?!!!.......that thing must be a kick to drive!!!! etc etc........I'll say....."Yep, its a whole lotta fun, ....you could buy a real nice one of these for what you got into that......you should buy one!!......and they'll always say "oh, I couldnt do that....no no no......" This will happen a couple of times a day..... what that tells me is that tons of you Sea Ray guys are too *****whipped to get what you really want in a boat......guess what kind of a boat my "EX" wanted.....see ya.
Oh yeah....arriving in "style" as you put it.....is in a Fountain or a Cig or an Outerlimits or something similar.
NOT some juiced up Sea Ray clone where there is so many of them at the marina they become indistinguishale from each other..............doug
Old 12-01-2003, 09:17 AM
Registered

st im allready sold on the SS idea... just have to save up for a predator!!!
Old 12-01-2003, 09:50 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by twinn29
...Oh yeah....arriving in "style" as you put it.....is in a Fountain or a Cig or an Outerlimits or something similar.
NOT some juiced up Sea Ray clone where there is so many of them at the marina they become indistinguishable from each other..............doug
Easy Doug breath thru your nose, this is all in fun.

If you read ST's points I will grant you he is new to here but he does bring another view to some issues we frequently discuss. I also would not question his knowledge of hardware specifically diesel's in offshore applications and drives other than Merc that can handle the torque those engines put out. His points might also be made somewhat dryly but that's European humor for you.

The best point is "Buying a boat is about what you want and need, not about what others will think." I had a Fountain 29 for 5 years when I was single and it would not fit the bill for me now. You admit not being interested about cruisers or souped up SeaRay's and I understand I'm not much of a cruiser guy either. I know however that when a Sunseeker shows up at the places I hang I notice it is much more "distinguishable than any SeaRay (besides I couldn't afford a 48' SeaRay that tops out at 35MPH,and would not even consider a boat that cannot do 60MPH). Cig's and Fountain are fast and sexy (I own and have owned each) but even though people do come up to you for the wow factor they are not necessarily the perfect application for all.

Finally referring to the fact that if someone has a certain boat you have to hang out with the same "Boat Type" crowd, that is pure crap I hang with the same gang of boaters from when I had a Fountain 29, a Baja 22, a Cigarette 35 and whatever I will have next, we usually cruise at 45-50 so anyone can follow in practically anything. I do like to know other people's opinion (this is why I started this tread) but in the end the only person I need to impress is me.

From an exported fellow Canadian (French however!).

Last edited by GLH; 12-01-2003 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:52 AM
Registered

WOW, just looked at those SS's in the link, those are some fine pieces of work, very sweet boats...
Old 12-01-2003, 11:00 AM
Registered

twinn29, I was just expressing another point of view which does exist. I already stated that I do like "pure" offshore powerboats and that I would not post on OSO if that was not the case. As for credentials, I will not question yours because everyone can and should express their opinion as long as they have some knowledge or experience to share. You seem to be deep into powerboating and a proud owner of one of those rigs which for me personally gives more weight to your arguments than the fact that you have 1000+ posts. Experience and ownership means that you actually know something, a huge number of posts does not guarantee that, it can mean that you only talk a lot. So I will just say that I build "pure" performance boats, mostly military patrol boats, have a design studio and am an advocate of diesel power and surface drives even though I am a Mercury-MerCruiser dealer for the region I am based in. If that is not enough and any knowledge and experience I may have is rendered worthless by the limited number of posts I have, I am sorry. But I believe my point has been made. I think I have pointed out that people should not look through their noses upon performance cruisers like you have done because if you really try, you can do the same with your Fountain, like I have done. And you didn't like it and I don't think guys who have performance cruisers liked to learn that they've been "*****whipped" either. And there are many of those on OSO because speed is a relative thing. For some, it's 50 mph with their whole family along for the ride, for others it's striving to reach 200 mph strapped in a bucket seat. So treat others like you would like to be treated yourself. I have no problem with you, would boat with you anyday and recognize that a Fountain 29 is a very fun product. But how would you feel if a guy in a 46' Skater with twin 1500 Sterlings pulled up next to you and told you were surely "*****whipped" because you don't have a full canopy, bucket seats, safety air tanks and can't even break 150?

Quick Reply: Someone tell me if I'm heading in the wrong path?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.