OT: Another Compter Questions >

OT: Another Compter Questions

Notices

OT: Another Compter Questions

Old 11-29-2003, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Another Compter Questions

We have a desktop at our home in St. Louis that is connected to the internet via a cable modem. Is there a way to go through that computer to access the internet with my laptop while at the house in St. Louis and while at LOTO? I beleive that there is a way to access it while in the same house with a wireless router. IS this correct? What would I need to buy to do this? It would be really nice if I could do the same while at LOTO. Anyone know how that could be accomplished? If not, are there any free dial-up internet providers that I could use while at LOTO? I know there are a lot of questions, thanks for you help.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:40 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not that I know of
But if you went with DSL our local provider offers 10 hours a month of dial up
I thought about it until I looked and they do not have dial up at the places I travel.
Check your locals to see.
What I do is have modem access on the laptop through my cell phone. Its slow, 14,400 but gets the job done and it is FREE
Old 11-29-2003, 06:50 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Remote desktop
you need Dial up network server running,Remote Desktop allows you to connect to your PC via the Internet, using any connection ( modem, wireless, mobile phone). You have full control to run applications on your PC, manage your emails, edit documents and any other tasks you want to do while you are out of house. I did this before and just left the computer on monitor off, the only issue is if you have a answering machine

I gotten so used to using my cell phone to laptop connection, No wires, and quick

Last edited by wwwTOPDJcom; 11-29-2003 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Most Internet providers have access numbers all over creation. You need to download a list of their access numbers for the area you will be staying at in LOTO.

Even if you pay for a Broadband (DSL,CableModem, etc) they usually allow you a handfull of dialup hours per month for free.

I have an Earthlink account with 20 hours of dialup. I also have a piggyback account on my friend's AOL account. If he's not using the AOL when I connect, I use his since it is unlimited time. If he is online, it won't let me connect so I use my Earthlink sparingly until he is back offline.