Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Diesel Performance Chips from 'Boot' >

Diesel Performance Chips from 'Boot'

Notices

Diesel Performance Chips from 'Boot'

Old 12-14-2003, 09:34 AM
GeoGraphics INC

I have the 1st 39 Diesel boat in the shop now, worked till 2 am getting it ready for paint will post some pics soon

Old 12-14-2003, 10:28 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 Quad Cab w/5.9L HO Cummins Turbo Diesel with the 48RE Auto Trans.

Does anyone recommend the chip & exhaust?

Or am I looking at tranny problems in the future?
Attached Thumbnails Diesel Performance Chips from 'Boot'-picture-12.jpg  

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 12-14-2003, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edge is coming out with the new pulse timing and duration box in the next few weeks. I think that the 48re has the stronger transmission than mine. I can tell you that on my 2002 CTD the edge box made a huge difference.

http://www.dodge-diesel.org/
Old 12-14-2003, 11:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the Edge with Attitude in my 6.0 Ford CC, Dually, havent had any problems with them, this is my 3rd module from them, customer service is great. The tranny is the weak link with all these mods, especially with modules over 120hp/290tq. Then add Turbo back dual exhust, and a ram air filter kit, and you are pushing 500 peak hp/almost 900 peak tq. Use this power wisely. I also have the Edge on my 2001 Duramax with over 140k, no problems either, great products. Also Edge won the hp/tq shootout on Dec. 6th, with the EDGE W/ATTITUDE and exhaust it dynoed 427 rear wheel hp. Its alot of fun, with all that power, good luck. Jeff
Old 12-15-2003, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink Thanks unleshed !

Unleashed, It was great working with you and I enjoyed talking with you too !

I really appreciate your "experienced " comments . You had otherchips that did something , and thought they were pretty good . Now you see the difference first hand ! NO B.S. ! I love finding someone who has real experience with other products ,and then just tells it like it is !

Like I said , I sell them all but there is a BIG difference between manufacturers !! And don't worry , Your truck isnt' going to blow up ! That is just an honest horse power from the western diesel chip and NOT an OVER INFLATED number like others do ! This time you got what you paid for .......

Thank you for sharing your feelings . Good or bad I want to know and think EVERYONE should know too ! There is too many products out there and it gets real confusing to those wanting to buy . Moneys hard enough to come by . Why waste it ? Besides ,we all own boats ! That is a big enough waist !

Just use some common sense when using all that power . Please don't abuse it and drop that automatic trans on the ground ! We all know how bullet proof these auto trans are ! I do have guys with 140K and 160K miles on their trucks with NO problems .Acutely I have one guy that has around 250,000 miles !

SLINGSHOT, sounds like the guy that put it in didn't do it right if you had problems with western diesel ! Either the chip wasn't put in right , the map sensor wire wasnt' installed right , or the code was wrong .......
Some trucks have a california emissions type code and are real sensitive to boost . A stock late model ford truck (7.3)makes 18 lbs boost . computer can let up to 24 lbs go until it panics and throws the check engine light on . On the sensitive programmed trucks it will throw it on at 21lbs . When you add a GOOD chip your gonna see 35 lbs plus ! The kit comes with a diode wire to reduce what the computer sees . BAnks doesn't make enough boost OR POWER to to cause this ....... Without boost ,there is no power ...

I sell BANKS too ...... I have more problems with them then anything second to bulley dog ! I have only ever had 3 problems with Western in all the years . 2 of which were a bad connection ! I work very closely with Banks and DO NOT feel comfortable with their products or their lack of interest in there customers .Most of the work I do is to help other peoples customers get their money back or fix their problems . I am like the BANKS complaint department ! And stupid me , I dont' even charge them for this time when I didn't install it or sell it in the first place . I just have a better way of getting things done with banks then other dealers do . I don't think banks should be selling you a new turbo that is NO BETTER then what you have , nor should they sell you a new intercooler that is NO BETTER then what you have already ! Nor should they sell you a "trans command system " system for $400 that any good chip would do for free ! And Banks chips are extremely under rated for power . I installed a Banks chip , their exhaust , and their SO CALLED ,"Ram air" on a 2002 ford . It ran EXACTLY the same time and speed is a completely stock 2002 ford on the same day !

26Sonic, you would need something different for a gas motor . They make very little difference compared to diesels . BUt they do help . I think most gas chips are created about equal . The only down side is you MUST run premium gas all the time . You could check out hypertech, superchips, diablo etc.

teambaja2001,Glad you like the TST ! I know a couple guys that have them that like um . But they never had anything else ....I am not real big on them from personal experience .HAd some ruff running trucks , bad fuel mileage , high EGT's , and lots of smoke for no reason . A few units quit working and drove me crazy trying to diagnose them . I do not carry them anymore because of that . Good luck with your though !

105mph_38_2003, Everybody has them . Edge is not bad . I would pick them second over Western on your Dodge . The edge is just a bit less power and is a little lazier getting moving . I don't think they get the mileage that they could , and have seen some with slightly higher Ex. temps then I like .But They do work pretty good though .

d-hlaw, About banks, you may be on to something ! But there IS no gains from replacing a late model ford turbo or intercooler .... Just a good chip ,air filter , and exhaust .

Sharkey , All automatics are a week link . I am sure you have herd of guys blowing them up with stock motors ,so you can blow them up with more power too ! But if you treat it right , unless it's just a bad one , it will be OK . I have sold 100's of dodge modules and and not one of my customers have called me to tell me about any trans problems . I am surprised , but they haven't .

d-hlaw, The edge "pulse timing " is more of a bandade then a bonus . It is to over come a little problem they have from time to time on different trucks that their initial program can't do ..

Jassman, You meant 400 hp right .... WHat year is your Ford ?How's you new stile trans doing ? Be careful , if it goes bad it might down shift into second and lock the rear tires !! It's not fun !Hope your 6 litre is doing better then others !

Well, got to go back to makin' trucks better now . Thanks for all the compliments AND for the bad experience stories . It brings out the best for the consumer . Some products are a bad investment , some just need them installed right !!

Joe
Old 12-15-2003, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations

I am looking for an older towing truck (1995 - 2000) to tow 10K pounds. My 1/2 ton Suburban is not big enough. Any suggestions on the diesels from that time era. Ford 7.3, Chevy 6.5, Dodge Cummins, etc.
Reliability, transmissions, durability, transmissions. I found a good deal on a 1997 Ford 3/4 ton with 7.3. Also a 1998 Chevy 3/4 with 6.5.

Thanks
Doug
Old 12-15-2003, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

it was on an 2002 limited excursion...which may have caused some issues
Old 12-15-2003, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Slingshot, The limited Excursions with factory security system required are specially modified chip . Most people don't know this .

Waterbum, All automatics are questionable at best . I don't think any manufacturers trans is really any better then another . They all blow up sooner or later .......

The 97 ford is a pretty good choice . IN that year range ,it will have the best resale value by far .It will have more stock towing power then the other mentioned . It is also the easiest and cheapest to upgrade power on if you decide to go that route . The Chevy 6.5 is pretty week, but is a good motor . to upgrade you have to replace or send out your entire computer to do it right . If you go Dodge , you need to be 1998 1/2 or newer to be happy . These are computerized and make a little more power over the earlier non-computerized ones . They are very easy to upgrade too.

Hope this helps , Joe
Old 12-15-2003, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boot,
I have not touched my 2003 Dodge 3500 duallie CTD SO because I ws not interested in raising fuel pressure after having a 2002 and experiencing bosch pump problems. I was waiting for Edge to realease the timing/duration box hoping that it would address any issue with overworking the pump. I have heard that it is possible to run the fuel pressure down to 2lbs or less on long pulls with the pressure box. Is this true? Also, I cant let BruceK and that big balloon tired tank he drives go around kicking my ass. What do you recommend?? You know I will go broke staying ahead of him.......
Attached Thumbnails Diesel Performance Chips from 'Boot'-towrig.jpg  
Old 12-15-2003, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Boot, on the deisel module wars, the Edge w/Attitude dynoed rear wheel hp @427, that was a 2004 6.0 Excursion, stock it was 281 rear wheel hp, and it did have an oversized single exhaust on both tests. Edge w/Attitude claims 115hp/290tq, which is only 15 more hp/40 more tq over std Edge without the gauges. You can see they are very conservative. This Excursion turned 13.992 in the quarter. You also have the option of adding more fuel, 5 levels, which makes it even quicker. The nice feature is you have all your gages in a 5"x3" cluster, showing your egt's,boost,rpm's, and defueling option, which you can set in the alerts area to program your egt's not to exceed 1350 degrees before it starts to defuel, which save the turbo. Ive had great luck with my Ford 6.0, and I know the tranny is the weak link, I use this power very wisely, unless a rice burner wants to run

Last edited by JASSMAN; 12-15-2003 at 05:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Diesel Performance Chips from 'Boot'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.