Like Tree0Likes

My application to the NEW website Wetpits was DENIED!

Old 12-22-2003, 05:09 PM
Registered

My Boats: Formula FASTech 382 Sunseeker Apache 45

Why don't you guys just exchange email addresses?
Old 12-22-2003, 05:11 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2000 Reindl B-24

I would suggest that everyone agree to disagree.

You may not agree with the intention of WetPits, but it is reality.

As for Peconic, he is just a guy trying to help. Many racers asked OSO for this forum, to aleviate the "burden" from OSO taking the forum private, he did it (with their help). You can question his credentials, but he is a SVL boat owner.

To be honest in the new forum I have not seen any complaining at all, all the conversations have been very constructive with all parties acting like mature adults. In a manner that was never realized on OSO (unfortunately), had it been there would not have been a WetPits, so instead of blaming the WetPits participants blame individuals on OSO who could not act in a mature manner driving others away.

It is amazing as there are all facets of the sport represented in some manner (APBA, OSSRA, SBI, OPA, POPRA, GLCS, etc) and all parties are actually getting along.

Everyone on that board realized it takes more than racers to race, which is why non-racers are being given access. For instance Jeff from Freeze Frame. He is not a racer but on the board as racing effects him directly.

Personally I would suggest that if you are currently involved with racing that you join the site and give it a chance. If you have something constructive to contribute, do so. If not just read and keep abreast of the happenings.

There is no doubt in my mind that everyone who has posted on this thread is passionate about offshore racing. If you were not, then you would not spend this much time on the topic.

Now feel free to trash me, since I see the world differently than you. Just to get it in the open, I am new to racing (2003), went 3-0 during the year(including a win at the 2003 APBA National Championships in St. Pete). So I am sure you have all been thrown from more boats than I have raced (A statement I hope to never make). I got involved after doing 3 years of poker runs, and regardless of what anyone says, racers can not get their competitive nature filled with poker runs. Just ask my wife.

After 20+ years of car racing I retired and went "boating". After about 15 poker runs and attending 3 POPRA races, it was time to race boats (she would not let me race airplanes in Reno). At one time I thought the poker runs would be enough, but they weren't. Not for me or other racers who are truly competitive at heart. Not to take anything away from the poker runs, we will continue to do 5 or so a year out west, unless they fall on a race weekend.

Happy holidays,
Rick
Old 12-22-2003, 05:53 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC
Default And now for something completely different

If I am not mistaken, anyone can start a website and create whatever restrictions he or she sees fit as long as there is nothing illegal traded or discussed. That having been said, Wet Pits.com appears to meet the criteria of a legitimate website........

Groucho Marx once said (and I have ripped off repeatedly)"I will not join any organization that would stoop so low as to have me as a member".

In this case it appears that a group of people with a rather limited and arbitrary membership requirement has chosen to have their own space.......... There is nothing wrong with that....... nor is their anything wrong with the Tuesday Morning Liberal Ladies League banning all things Republican........ and, yes, some of these groups even have a secret handshake.

The distressing thing here is that both sides of this debate have suffered and neither side has "won" nor "lost"..... kind of like the state of the sport in general.

The new website means very little in the grand scheme of things and represents another example of the divisiveness that is rampant in offshore racing at this time. The reality is that no amount of secret meetings, public ravings, nor seperatist movements of any kind will do any healing whatsoever.

Offshore racing has often been about people shouting over each other to be heard...... many times with nothing much to say for the effort........and no exclusive forum is going to change that dynamic.

This is much ado about nothing..........but it is part of the necessary purging that must take place over the next 6-18 months before a new regime takes hold......

It happens that way............

T2x
Old 12-22-2003, 06:12 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2009 FORMULA 292

Quote:
Originally posted by PhantomChaos
Why don't you guys just exchange email addresses?
Because OSO is a place to discuss such topics as these.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:26 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Mathews
Nort,

Good suggestion.

Ryan,

Stay in the canopy boats so you don't fall out.....

Congrats on your rookie success!

Shane,

Let's dis-agree. While I don't think the criteria on the wetpits Homepage has ever changed, I don't have data to back it up. Now to blame partially Mike A. for the creation of wetpits is a new spin. Delusional is the only way I can describe that over generalization.

Is there any thing positive you can credit Mike for?

Feel free to PM me your phone #. Mine is 313-610-5800.
Mark,

You seem to consistantly take what I say and extrapolate from that things that are not there when convenient and completely pass over the obvious at other times when appropriate. Am I delusional? Why not ask your fellow current racers why they are so upset with the APBA LLC? Ask them WHO at the LLC they are so upset with? Ask them who has been accused of stiffing many host communities and sposnors? Ask the SC, SCL, SV and SVL guys who was the basis for their segregation? What were the FUNDAMENTAL problems plaguing Offshore Racing, primarily the APBA LLC, that brought about the desire for a private forum? If you cannot see the common denominator here then I think we need to cease with the discussion because it will be nothing more than an exercise in futility.

I certainly have things to credit Mike A for. I think Factory class racing is excellent. Although I think the number of classes needs to be reduced significantly, I think F-1 and F12 are excellent classes. The STARS rescue team is another feather in Mike A's cap. Although not founded by Mike he saw the importance of Jim Poplin and his crew and have been quick to praise their efforts. Countless times on here I have backed MIKE A. in that I believe that Offshore Racing needs to be run like a business and I can only expect him to earn a fair living doing so. I only wish that he did a better job of it. I believe many fundamental errors of judgement were made as happens in all types of business. I am not saying that I could go in and do all these wonderful things etc etc etc as many will jump in here and say I am insinuating. Nor am I saying that I have any desire to run The LLC or whatever name it is at this time. So the next reply of "if you are so smart or good why don't you go do it"....is not appropriate in this context because I have NO DESIRE to do so. That does not excuse the actions of the past 1-2 years however.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:31 PM
Registered

My Boats: Formula FASTech 382 Sunseeker Apache 45

Quote:
Originally posted by Shane
Because OSO is a place to discuss such topics as these.

Okay. You might get much more understanding (and less mis-understanding) with a single phone call than 1000 posts.

Sorry...just a suggestion!
Old 12-22-2003, 06:32 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by PhantomChaos
Okay. You might get much more understanding (and less mis-understanding) with a single phone call than 1000 posts.

Sorry...just a suggestion!
DAMN IT NORT! Why do you have to make so much sense?
Old 12-24-2003, 11:00 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

My Boats: Being a great husband and dad , boats , golf
Thumbs up

Well it appears that WP's is going down the tubes. OSO is and always has been the place for discussions on performance boating and offshore racing! The OSO family that stays together , grows together. BH
Old 12-24-2003, 11:13 AM
Registered

Hey BH,

I LOVE that signature line!
Old 12-24-2003, 11:50 AM
Registered

The IRONY continues! Hop on over to the Racer's Milling Area and check out how WP is imploding. Seems the hidden agendas aren't so hidden any longer.