Notices

Boat Technology

Old 12-22-2003, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Scott -

Happy Holidays !

I know it goes into a different price category, but what about the bigger Magnums...60ft...63ft...with those huge diesels and suface drives, they must be sweet through all sorts of water, not quite the speeds you were talking about.....
Also, Nor-tech is building something really big, 75ft I think (Terry?)...
all the best,
Hans
Old 12-22-2003, 03:01 PM
Registered

Hans,

Long time no talk to, Happy Holidays to you and yours. The Magnums are nice but no the type I was thinking of, more along the lines of OT, Cig, Nor-Tech, Apache, etc.

Just my thoughts.

Give me a call sometime !

Scott
Old 12-22-2003, 03:45 PM
Registered

At the end of last season I rode in two boats within an hour in the same water. One was a 40' Fountain with triple 500hp the other was an old 38' alu.cougar cat. At any speed there was no comparison. The Fountain was like riding on a rock. the cat was riding on a cushion of air. Even the owner commented, Why have a v bottom?
Old 12-22-2003, 04:20 PM
Registered

There is something to be said for the cushion of air, I agree, but the Vee has more for the friendly hand out on the boat crowd. The 40 fountain does not have the ride of the others mentioned either in my opinion, but are fast.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by mmwalters
, Why have a v bottom?
Insurance rates
Old 12-22-2003, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Von Bongo
Insurance rates
That and cabin space, but that's what hotels are for.

I'll take a cat over a Vee any day of the week (all thing being equal).
Old 12-22-2003, 05:37 PM
WickedWon

Default There's Something About A Good Beating......

Hans, War-Bird is a 22,000 to 25,000lb beast in a class I don't know a damn thing about. Common sense tells me that it doesn't do much flying but a whole lota CRUSHING ! With that much mass and HP it's always gonna make running hard in big water look easy. I do have a lot of respect for Nor-Tech products and their willingness to try anything ( where do they find those customers ? ) all be it occasionally " over the top" for the sake of it. Their more practical stuff seems to work very well.

Scott, I've had it on two different scales with a 600lb. discrepancy ! If I split the diff it weighs 12,500lbs. with all my junk and 300 gals. of fuel give or take or 10,200 dry and bare.

mmwalters, years ago Art Lilly, one of the wildest guys to grab the sticks, was getting out of the first Carlos & Charlies Skater, when I asked him what it was like, his response " its like a magic carpet ride". Eventually I was able to get in a 40' Skater, the ride was everything I'd heard but it just wasn't boating for me, even when I was running it I felt like I was just another passenger and running slow in a chop was wet and no fun. It's hard for me to explain but something's missing for me, I guess I'm just a masochist but some of those sensations, like the hard banking in a slower turn and the connected to the water feel are more important to me than just the number on the GPS.

Old 12-22-2003, 08:37 PM
Registered

"Scott, I've had it on two different scales with a 600lb. discrepancy ! If I split the diff it weighs 12,500lbs. with all my junk and 300 gals. of fuel give or take or 10,200 dry and bare. "

See with that kind of weight and power and balance we are talking wave crushing, now take 2000 lbs out and what will it do ?

That is the magical question to me.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:25 PM
Registered

Seems to me that the advantage of a heavier boat is when the seas are really rough and you just need to get home without racing anyone, you want to be able to get up the following morning and know that you didn't hurt your crew or yourself. No one ever talks about the really fast and light boats ride in relation to their sore bodies the next day, and no one ever will. Right Sean S? Just my .02 cents worth. NK
Old 12-22-2003, 09:27 PM
Registered

Someone ask Steve Nykamp how he feels tommorrow morning from his 75 mph 4-5 foot wave ride today. NK

Quick Reply: Boat Technology

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.