Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good luck let us know how it is going

do you have a
before the accident pic to share ???
Old 12-28-2003, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree totally with having a "survey" done. I would have that in hand before any meeting with anyone. That is if I wasn't in jail for shooting somebody first.
Old 12-28-2003, 03:54 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My suggestion is get the boat out of there ASAP. Show up with a cop from the town to document the damage that is on the boat so that they do not try to pull the it happened after BS. Buy a digital camera and printer and head down there. Take pictures and make duplicates one set for you and another for the cop and another for the dealer. The printer will cost you a couple hundred but that is peanuts when you are dealing with something like this. I had to do a similiar thing a long time ago and the Police were happy to help out and go with me to document things.
The LAST people that you want fixing this thing is them. Accidents do happen but if they are already LYING to you that is TOTALLY uncool!!! You at this point in time have to wonder if they will even fix it properly. Since it is YOUR boat you are under NO obligation to have them fix it. You can take it to anyplace you want and their insurance has to cover it. Last place you want your boat is there.

Man this makes me sick to read. What a bunch of TOTAL azzholes!!!!!!!
Old 12-28-2003, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call a Lawyer Yesterday
Old 12-28-2003, 04:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

1) Cosmetic damage to a fiberglass boat can be easily repaired by a competent fiberglass man.

2) Entire outdrives (the engine part that sticks off the boat) can be replaced easily if needed.

You have been victimized by a bunch of liars. At this point, before they begin an attempt at restitution, I would insist that a marine surveyor (chosen by you on the recommendation of somebody reputable in that area) take a look and determine if there is underlying structural damage or if it is all cosmetic.

I would send a copy of the survey report registered mail to the owner of the marina/facility and inform him that you expect complete restoration of the boat to its previous mint condition. I would insist that a professionally respected glass man from the area be brought in to do the glasswork, and that NEW parts be used to repair the mechanical components. Furthermore, I would INSIST on a 5-year cosmetic warranty on the fiberglass repairs covering flaking, delamination, or mismatched color fading of the repaired areas. I would also INSIST on a "new" one year warranty on the mechanical components that are involved in this ordeal.

I would also require him to give you a written completion date for the repairs.

(Examine the wording of your insurance policy to see how it covers damage from repair shops. If it appears to cover those claims then you may wish to contact your AGENT, not claims department, and discuss options with him)

Make it clear to the marina owner that you will take full legal action against him at the first sign of his organization failing to uphold their end of the agreement. Make him sign the "plan" and keep the signed copy.

I would be AMAZED if the marina owner doesn't make a good faith effort to repair your damaged boat. You just need to stop talking to the yard idiots and service man and get to the owner.

(on the other hand, there are high profile marina dealership owners out there who could care less what you threaten to do to them - I know of several who have so many lawsuits against them that the threat of one more is insignificant).
Old 12-28-2003, 04:38 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

i have to agree with audio. get the boat out of there unless they actually have the ability to do this type of work. by that i mean they normally offer this type of work at their shop and have a long standing history of quality in this area. trust me you dont somthing like running surface repaired wrong and i hate to say it but it is easy for poor work to be hiden by a bunch of mud.

like i said though. if they are capable and can back it up with referances you might still be OK.but you have no obligation to them THEY have the obligation to you and they need to disclose everything they are doing and how it is being done.

one thing really bugs me though. the repairs were started before you got a chance to see it.unfortunatly that tells me alot about the kind of people you are dealing with. its a very tuff situation you are and i feel badly for you. good luck, wish i could help.

mcollinstn- good idea with the warrenty on the repairs. get that in writing for sure.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 12-28-2003 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:31 PM
Registered

You need to get down to that marina first thing in the morning and slap a stop work order on them. They should not be making any repairs until this whole mess is documented and agreed to by both parties.

You and your fiance need to take control of this situation right now. No offense intended, but I can't believe you are allowing them to do any repair work on your boat. As others have said above, you need an agreed upon repair plan including a professional inspection for structural integrity.

This is not a car fender or trunk lid,,,,, it's the thing that floats under you in the ocean!!!!! And that's what you need to tell them!

Take charge girl, go down there and get in the owner's face! Then don't leave without your boat.

Man, this story pisses me off. If that were my boat that SOB would wish he'd never met me!!!
Old 12-28-2003, 06:07 PM
OffshoreOnly Antagonizer
VIP Member

Unless they are self insured, there is no good reason why the marina owner should not cooperate with you. It is an insurance claim, pure and simple.

The advice you have received, document EVERYTHING with pictures, notes, etc., is very sage and will help you later whether this involves litigation or dealing with the marina's insurance adjuster. If the marina does turn it over to their adjuster, you would well served hiring a public adjuster to work on your behalf to settle the claim. Goodman, Gable Gould, Adjusters International, did incredible work for me on a shopping center fire. They also do other insurance claims. They have an office in Tampa. See how things go with the meeting with the marina and post the pertinent info.

You will get through this. The power of the OSO is behind you.

-Mr. Sorkin, 10th Grade Geometry teacher
Old 12-28-2003, 06:17 PM
Registered

Yep, every once in a while, ya need the advice of a Phknlwyr.

Stay tuned in on this one Phk (ha,,, can I call you Phk,,,, that kills me). Let us know your take on this whole mess, maybe we'll all benefit from it.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:25 PM
Registered

Where are the pictures?

Quick Reply: Dream Boat Destroyed.. Can anyone help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.