O.T. Anyone gone pc/wireless?

Notices

O.T. Anyone gone pc/wireless?

Old 01-12-2004, 12:04 AM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by WARPAINT
We have Toshiba laptop with centrino.Comcast high speed internet with linksys router.Could not be happier.It is ruining my marriage but i like it
same thing here, Toshiba Tecra M1 centino
LinkSYS router and a Linksys dual band Access point
time warner cable

and it also is ruining my marrige too
Old 01-12-2004, 12:06 AM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Before you buy a router

Originally posted by barry
I bought a wireless card and router for my laptop 9 months ago. After installing the card I was very surprised to find that I had a full strong signal without even taking the router out of the box. After a month of free wireless cable access, I took the router back for a refund and canceled my cable ISP.
Apparently many people who buy these setups don't bother pass-wording or putting up a firewall, and since then I can travel just about anywhere and there's a good chance I'll get an open signal.
Spoke to a couple of friends and they've had similar experiences.
So if you do buy the full setup, make sure you get the firewall up and running, cause if I wanted to I could access these folks drives on thier networks.
LMAO thats funny
I guess free is nice
Old 01-12-2004, 05:17 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wife has a Toshiba laptop with built in wireless 802.11G and using a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. Our desktop unit is hard wired to the router and we set the desktop to share the printer and external hard drive. And both computers are running Sygate's Personal Firewall Pro and the wireless signal is encripted between the router and laptop.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Wasabe
I went wireless a year ago. Nothing like sitting in the tub and being on OSO!
Wasabe~ My thoughts exactly...I can't wait to go wireless and be in the open chat w/everyone, while I'm in the tub!!
Thanks for all of the info everyone!! I knew I'd get some help here!! OSO ROCKS!!!
Old 01-12-2004, 10:22 AM
Registered

Default Re: Before you buy a router

Originally posted by barry
I bought a wireless card and router for my laptop 9 months ago. After installing the card I was very surprised to find that I had a full strong signal without even taking the router out of the box. After a month of free wireless cable access, I took the router back for a refund and canceled my cable ISP.
Apparently many people who buy these setups don't bother pass-wording or putting up a firewall, and since then I can travel just about anywhere and there's a good chance I'll get an open signal.
Spoke to a couple of friends and they've had similar experiences.
So if you do buy the full setup, make sure you get the firewall up and running, cause if I wanted to I could access these folks drives on thier networks.
a firewall will not prevent this. to prevent someone from ussing your internet access you turn off the broadcast option on your wireless router and require a wep key or set it up to only allow access to the mac address of your wireless network cards. also be sure and change the administrator password on your router or anyone can gain access to your computers.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:02 PM
Registered

I really appreciate everyone's help!!
I just realized there is an "Off Topic" area on the board or else I probably would have put it there. However, I'm kind of glad that I did put it here, since it seems more ppl. frequent the "General Discussion" area. I'm going to get what I need today and I needed this info. fast!!!
Thanks again, everyone!!!
Old 01-12-2004, 08:48 PM
Organdonor

Default Re: Re: Before you buy a router

Originally posted by mikev
to prevent someone from ussing your internet access you turn off the broadcast option on your wireless router and require a wep key or set it up to only allow access to the mac address of your wireless network cards. also be sure and change the administrator password on your router or anyone can gain access to your computers.
What Mike said about the Wep key is the most important thing to do when you go wireless, and its the only technical aspect of the setup process. I have two computers and neither are plugged in to a LAN line, I set my router up with my dsl modem and then Have my desk top wireless and also my laptop wireless. My router is actually under my dresser in my bedroom tucked out of sight and out of the way as there was not a phone line where I wanted to put my desktop and it makes for a much cleaner presentation anyway without the modem and router on the desktop.

These are two low price computer supply warehouses, I have used them both with no problems and I have a friend who shops weekly from both.

Thompson's Computer Warehouse, Inc

ATACOM

Old 01-13-2004, 04:29 AM
Registered

I printed this info off and was headed to Best Buy w/out reading the "foreign language". Todd informed me this pretty much all had to do w/home pc stuff.
I meant to ask about wireless connection outside of the home.
Perhaps, I should make a new thread. My bad
Old 01-13-2004, 07:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

tracy,

http://www.sprint.com/pcsbusiness/pr...ited_data.html

It's reasonably quick, but NOTHING like the speeds you are used to with a cable connection.