Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maui all the way, and stay in wailea, like the Grand Wailea, and rent a jeep
Old 01-21-2004, 10:08 PM
Charter Member # 302
Charter Member

Born & Raised in Honolulu, I agree Oahu is a tourist attraction but you need to know that's the only island where the jobs are unless you're bartending or waitressing then the other islands would be ok too. Oahu isn't any dirtier than any city in the states. As far as the Jeep & Mustang rally, a bike will do or you can get a bus pass to go around the island of Oahu. If you're on the other 7 islands than a Jeep is the way to go! If you don't like the tourist attraction in & around Waikiki then go see the real Hawaii get hooked up with one of the ohana's and take the back roads. Speed Doc said the North Shore is da' place to check out! (Unless you're scared of da' water...no your 42' won't float here). Lookin' for some snorkling, Haunauma Bay is da' place, Sharks Cove is ok if you're not scared of da' mano (shark). Doc said...if you're going to Hawaii do as the Hawaiians do...eat it raw (fish-poki, octopus-tako & gotta try the poi). You've got to check out the Swap Meet (Oahu's Stadium) great deals Wed, Sat & Sun-everyweek. Try the malasadas at Leonard's Bakery at the end of Waikiki. Although Duke's is a tourist attraction they have great food & the atmosphere is great watching the sunset. If you're looking for someone to take you around the island-let Doc know he can make some calls to the Ohana back on the islands. (Warning: Doc said... don't go on Waikiki strip near Duke Kahanamoku's statue after 2am because he got flashed by one of the local prostitutes while walking with me right across the police station.)
Maui is great for shopping in Lahaina, Iao Needle is a nice tourist attraction. Big Island is great-worked on the family flower farm-picking flowers, working in the poi factory, picking coffee beans & picking macadamia nuts. Island hopping is great, check out the helicopter trips over the volcano, need kala (money) lots of it. The locals are just like the indians they believe in the earth, wind, water, fire & etc. DO NOT TOUCH OR VISIT KAPU(SACRED) AREAS WHERE YOU NEED TO KEEP OUT (Heiau-graveyards) Please do not disturb any rocks, you may have a curse follow you when you return home. Serious...they use rocks for burial grounds! Polynesian Cutural Center near the BYU campus is a place if you're looking for a real Hawaiian treat (shows presented by the locals also a great luau). Dole Pineapple Maze is the biggest one, need to see (tourist trip). Doc said don't smoke with the braddah's cuz' you no can walk after the party-dam good chit...Aloha oui

Hawaiian Girl (Doc's better half...)

Last edited by SpeedDoc; 01-21-2004 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:29 AM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

My 02 regarding the drive to Hana. It is defintely worth doing. Awesome scenery. I would do it again and again. I would not go any further than the Seven Pools. I did not feel the "dry" side of the island was nearly as scenic and when returning on the "wet" side you see a lot of things you don't on the trip down. There is much good advise here. Whatever you do, make sure and take a few extra days as your time will fly by. There are so many things to choose from it can be a little overwhelming. Sam
Old 01-22-2004, 05:07 PM
Registered

If you want to really get away from the beaten tourist path:

Last edited by georges; 07-31-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:23 PM
Registered

Originally posted by georges
If you want to really get away from the beaten tourist path:
That is badass.....where is that?
Old 01-22-2004, 07:54 PM
Registered

Yeah Georges, where is that place? As for that Princeville is that mostly a golf resort? Cause I don`t play...and if thats the main reason people go there then I`ll pass on it.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:18 PM
Registered

Here's another, final approach into Raiatea airpor:

Old 01-22-2004, 08:27 PM
Registered

It's the island of Maupiti, south south east of Hawaii about 1800 miles
Here's the airport:

Old 01-22-2004, 09:03 PM
Registered

Well it`s secluded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like a great place if your on the run....Hell, You might even bump into Hoffa here...It is BADASS GORGEOUS though
Old 01-23-2004, 03:35 PM
Registered

If you do the road to Hana, make sure you make the full circle and don't turn around at the park station. The part that says if you take the rental car here, your insurance is void! Awesome, secluded, and one of the neatest looking curvey roads I have ever seen. We stopped on the side of the road and a humpback gave us our own private show breaching and slapping his tail what seemed like all day. Man I miss Maui