Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
1st Ticket Since December 1977 >

1st Ticket Since December 1977

Notices

1st Ticket Since December 1977

Old 01-24-2004, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also got to skate quite a bit in practice with the U of Maine Black Bears. I was surprised at the intensity of the college game. Those kids didn't quit.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:35 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Wasn't our great Olympic victory accomplished by a bunch of college kids. What a great time that was...
Old 01-24-2004, 08:02 PM
Registered

Yes it was. I remember when Drew Callander scored the only goal for the Maine Mariners against the Red Army Team, for a 1 to 0 victory, the Mariners were the only team to beat the Russians on that tour, including six games against NHL teams. This was 81 I think. Then Herb Brooks coached the "kids" to a gold medal. That was when the Olympics was supposedly for amateur athletes. Though all the Russians were pros. Good memory there GDFATHA.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:06 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Vern
Nobody deserves the tickets that I write, but I still write them. That's the twisted reality that I live in.

Vern
Gotta hit those quotas!!!
Old 01-25-2004, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Formula Outlaw
Bite me.......

LMAO!
Old 01-25-2004, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the cop should have given him a warning and that was it. nough said.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:55 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Wasabe
I think the cop should have given him a warning and that was it. nough said.
Thank you..........

And Elvis has left the building........
Old 01-25-2004, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The DMV is so slow here in California... you can send in your registration renewal and it will take two months before it comes back... so cops hardly ever write you up for having expired registration if it is not more than 60 days.
Old 01-25-2004, 02:05 PM
Allan4

FO...yup, you were playing ECHL while I was playing as a kid.

It is a great sport. I somewhat regret not pursuing a playing career after highschool, but I as not good enough to make it to the NHL, but I probably would have fit right in in some of the Jr or Teir leagues or maybe the ECHL. ALot of the guys I played with went on to play in places like those. IHL would have been too good for me probably. AHL as well. ECHL had more "goons" than the other leagues, it seemed. Alot of guys fighting their way into the NHL. I would have been better off in the ECHL than the other leagues for sure. I was not a huge fighter, but mixed it up whenever I needed. Played much more physical than I did with finesse, sort of the "MO" of that league in some respects.

Awesome sport. I have not skated in about 2-3 years, I need to get back at it, it is a great game.

Thanks for sharing the info...GREAT STUFF!! Gotta love 58 PIM in one game. I had to deal with a few 10min misconducts and 1 game suspensions along the way as well, ....but neve 58 PIM!!!!!

Maine has a great program, I remember them winning a few National Titles a few years back, if memory serves. We have Miami (OH) about 45 min. away.

Old 01-25-2004, 03:31 PM
Registered

Maine lost, unexpectedly, their longtime coach Shawn Walch couple of years ago. Got to meet and talk with him a few times, he was a master of strategy on how to attack another team's weaknesses. They won a a few national championships under him and made the final four probably ten maybe 12 times. I think their still in somewhat of a transition stage still, although I think that made it to the final four last year.

Your're right ECHL was a very rough league, especially in the 80's and early to mid 90's. It was not uncommon to have games that had 300 penalty minutes in them. Sometimes took four and a half hours to play a friggin game. You definitely learned quick to "keep your head up". Surprisingly though, it was not a "cheap shot" league. I will never forget how the guys "stuck together". If memory serves correct, I played in four games that were actually never finished because of not enough players left to finish the game, everyone had been tossed.

The game has changed so much now, and the fact that their is fewer players allowed on a team's roster, you have to be able to play as well as just be an enforce. Donald Breasher of the Flyers is a good example. The days of having a "nuclear deterrent" just sitting on the bench is gone.

I have at one time or another played almost all of the major sports during school days and beyond. Most people will tell you the hardest thing is to try to hit a fastball. I disagree. Ice hockey is by far the toughest. Try connecting on a "one timer" on a fast pass, a little behind you, people clawing, chopping, tugging, at you, while on ice skates. Good luck.......

My favorite game of all time? 1975, the Soviet Red Army had toured America, played 7 games against NHL games and won all of them handily. Partly because the NHL players weren't happy about having to play them, it didn't count in the standings. After winning seven the Soviets were making fun of the NHL, their final game set for the Spectrum in Philadelphia, defending Stanley Cup Champions. Bad mistake making fun of the NHL in the papers, then having to finish up against the "Broad Street Bullies". I'll never forget this. They dropped the puck, the Russians gained control and did their circling cycles, eventually getting the puck into the Flyer zone. The puck went behind the Flyer net and was passed out to the "star" Soviet player. The vetern Ed Van Imp cross checked him in the teeth, knocking out about eight. No penalty called. Welcome to the Spectrum. The Flyers beat them up so badly they refused to come out and play the 2nd period. The NHL Commissioner told them if they didn't play the game, they didn't get paid for the tour. They came out, got the hell beat out of them, and lost like 5-2 or something like that. Shouldn't have made fun of the NHL before going into the Spectrum.

The game has changed, some for the better, some for the worse. I hope they never take the fighting out of it because it does serve a purpose. It keeps the stickwork down. I've enjoyed this conversation with you tremendously. Outlaw

Quick Reply: 1st Ticket Since December 1977

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.