Quote:
Originally posted by Vern
I don't have a qouta, I can write as many as I want

Vern
No disrespect to the police......sounds a bit like a power trip
Old 01-26-2004, 09:26 AM
Registered

My Boats: '99 Laveycraft 21 XCS

Nope, not a power trip, just a long standing inside joke of the police, ask Troutly I bet he's heard it!

No disrespect taken I think we all are going through the winter blues and the board is going through its annual testiness because of that!

Vern
Old 01-26-2004, 12:53 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Azimut

Quote:
I think we all are going through the winter blues and the board is going through its annual testiness because of that!
Amen to that.
And like my wife says; "It's colder than a witches t!t in a brass bra out there." that doesn't help either.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:58 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1990 Donzi Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally posted by Troutly

Anyway, I'm done with this.
What happened?
Old 01-26-2004, 02:43 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

My Boats: '99 Active Thunder Tantrum

Quote:
Nope, not a power trip, just a long standing inside joke of the police, ask Troutly I bet he's heard it!

No disrespect taken I think we all are going through the winter blues and the board is going through its annual testiness because of that!

Vern
You got it Vern...I'm freezin' my arss off, I want to go south ...Wife doesn't!!
Old 01-26-2004, 04:13 PM
Registered

My Boats: '99 Laveycraft 21 XCS

Me too, Wife and I want to go south, kids don't! I musta done something wrong
Old 01-27-2004, 07:05 PM
Allan4

Quote:
Originally posted by Formula Outlaw
Maine lost, unexpectedly, their longtime coach Shawn Walch couple of years ago. Got to meet and talk with him a few times, he was a master of strategy on how to attack another team's weaknesses. They won a a few national championships under him and made the final four probably ten maybe 12 times. I think their still in somewhat of a transition stage still, although I think that made it to the final four last year.

Your're right ECHL was a very rough league, especially in the 80's and early to mid 90's. It was not uncommon to have games that had 300 penalty minutes in them. Sometimes took four and a half hours to play a friggin game. You definitely learned quick to "keep your head up". Surprisingly though, it was not a "cheap shot" league. I will never forget how the guys "stuck together". If memory serves correct, I played in four games that were actually never finished because of not enough players left to finish the game, everyone had been tossed.

The game has changed so much now, and the fact that their is fewer players allowed on a team's roster, you have to be able to play as well as just be an enforce. Donald Breasher of the Flyers is a good example. The days of having a "nuclear deterrent" just sitting on the bench is gone.

I have at one time or another played almost all of the major sports during school days and beyond. Most people will tell you the hardest thing is to try to hit a fastball. I disagree. Ice hockey is by far the toughest. Try connecting on a "one timer" on a fast pass, a little behind you, people clawing, chopping, tugging, at you, while on ice skates. Good luck.......

My favorite game of all time? 1975, the Soviet Red Army had toured America, played 7 games against NHL games and won all of them handily. Partly because the NHL players weren't happy about having to play them, it didn't count in the standings. After winning seven the Soviets were making fun of the NHL, their final game set for the Spectrum in Philadelphia, defending Stanley Cup Champions. Bad mistake making fun of the NHL in the papers, then having to finish up against the "Broad Street Bullies". I'll never forget this. They dropped the puck, the Russians gained control and did their circling cycles, eventually getting the puck into the Flyer zone. The puck went behind the Flyer net and was passed out to the "star" Soviet player. The vetern Ed Van Imp cross checked him in the teeth, knocking out about eight. No penalty called. Welcome to the Spectrum. The Flyers beat them up so badly they refused to come out and play the 2nd period. The NHL Commissioner told them if they didn't play the game, they didn't get paid for the tour. They came out, got the hell beat out of them, and lost like 5-2 or something like that. Shouldn't have made fun of the NHL before going into the Spectrum.

The game has changed, some for the better, some for the worse. I hope they never take the fighting out of it because it does serve a purpose. It keeps the stickwork down. I've enjoyed this conversation with you tremendously. Outlaw
Hey man, sorry it took a few days to reply. Great stories you ahve about the ECHL. Yeah the ECHL was not a cheap shot league becuase any cheap shots would have landed you in the infirmary. Self patroling of players is the best deterrent to dangerous stick work and cheapshots. Although it still happens, that's for sure, but not as much as if they outlawed fighting. You are 100% correct, take away the players ability to govern themselves and you are looking disaster right in the face. I'll never forget seeing a player from the bench just go jump the boards onto the ice if the "star" go roughed up. It was hilarious. When I played, it was all amature stuff so fighting carried atleast a 1 game suspension, sometimes worse. We ony played about 60 games a year, so to miss a few games was a big deal. Lots of 10min misconducts and 5 min majors handed out. The refs were usually pretty good about not handing out suspensions, though at one time a 10 min misconduct carreid an automatic 1 game suspension. We woudl play in these little rinky dink towns and rinks all over OH, IN, IL, MI, PA, NY and get screwed pretty bad some nights, so you had to be careful. Foriegn players were usually the dirtiest players, for whatever reason. Especially Italian players...not sure why.

Your story about the Ruskies is hilarious. I can see it now. I met some of the fiercest, toughest dudes when I played, I can only imagine the way it was in the Jr leagues and Tier leagues and ECHL...talk about hardcore bada$$es. Those were some mean bastards.

Welp, I have greatly enojyed chatting some hockey as well. It is such an awesome sport. I agree, I have played jsut about every sport out there on a competitive level and the only thing I have done that comes close to being as hard as playing a game of competivie ice hockey is snow skiing the bumps fluently. That is pretty hard to get a handle on, it took me 2 or 3 years (atleast) to be good at, but even then, I think that hockey is harder. It takes you to a new level becuase it adds a whole new element.....ice skates. It is not like running...although after time skating becomes as second nature as taking a leak

Nice remenising with ya....

Allan

Old 01-27-2004, 11:27 PM
Registered

My Boats: was a 89" Formula 311-SR1
Talking

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Troutly
Anyway, I'm done with this.

Peace

I knew you wouldn't be able to stay out of this thread.
(snicker snicker)
Old 01-27-2004, 11:36 PM
Registered

My Boats: was a 89" Formula 311-SR1

Allan, back at ya. I have thoroughly enjoyed this conversation. People that haven't played the game probably think we're out of our minds (we know we are).
Once you've played ice hockey at a serious level, everything else seems tame by comparison. If you're ever down this neck of the woods, please get hold of me. Russ

p.s. wouldn't it be fun to get some of the "police officers" out on the ice?
(just a little humor there Scott)