Oh boy, Here we go again.... >

Oh boy, Here we go again....

Notices

Oh boy, Here we go again....

Old 01-30-2004, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally posted by salesmanship
This was a tragic event and my heart goes out to all concerned. We all hope this never happens but unfortunately it can happen to any of us. But here's a question that may have no answer. Why is this worse than a loss of life on a motor cycle, high speed car crash, snow mobile, etc...? Those types of events occur every day yet typically receive little media attention or this type of scrutiny.
Is it because this a pleasure/leisure activity and nothing should go wrong?
What do you think?

I may have the answer...... Something new in the news. A boating accident at high speed. This writer just wants to sell more newspapers with his story. The majority of the public will read this article and agree with the writer..... Which will sell more papers.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice job mike...I've just lost any respect I had for you...I don't recall mentioning anything about Allweis or Super Vee Lite...and thanks for calling me stupid.

I've written on this subject before and it gets tiresome. What many people fail to realize is that this is the United States of America, which our forefathers called the land of the free. Slowly but surely, those freedoms are being taken away by the bleeding heart liberal who feels he needs to tell me how I should live my life.

I guess you'd like to see mandatory licensing and testing and more fees associated with your favorite passtime? As if it isn't expensive enough already...and what's to happen to you when they decide that in order to be able to operate a watercraft, you MUST be able to perform CPR, have a minimum of 900hours of seat time and be able to swim a mile without stopping. How about a helmet law on all powerboats that exceed 65mph? How about limiting the horsepower you are allowed to put in your boat? That should slow down those crazy, inexperienced boaters with more money than brains. Keep up this mentality people and the only boats you will see on the water will have a stick and a sheet for propulsion.

You people fail to realize that by allowing our government to mandate just this one small thing sets a precedent for all other things.
Go ahead, those of you who cannot think for yourselves, and let the government tell you what is safe and what can and cannot be done...because you are too stupid to know the difference

Last edited by Sean; 01-30-2004 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Fever Mike
I re-read the article again and still see no problem with what Terry or Michael wroe about.

It is a fact that the boat would go faster than the same model boat in Super Cat Light but it does not have the much need safety equipment nor was the driver and passangers wearing ANY safety equipment at speeds well over 100mph.

What is the problem of mentioning this fact, Shane, Sean? Your letters to the St. Pete Times editor just show your stupidity.
Hey Mike,

Speaking of stupid? Was mine a letter to the editor or the paper? NOPE! So who is the one calling whom stupid?

Last edited by Shane; 01-30-2004 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:17 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Fever Mike
This thread is just another great way for Shane to jump up on his soap box about Allweiss! That's all he ever does!

Shane, we are not talking about car and motorcycles driven on the street. We are talking about people being able to buy a boat and drive it around at speeds in excess of 100mph with no training or skills. They DO IN FACT endanger the lives of others. The boat manufactures that produce these boats should out of the care for there customers and human life train these people that purchase these boats.
Mike,

All you know how to do here is start arguments. See APBA LLC, Bat Boats, boat accidents....dude are you that mad at the world or what? If living in a world of tyranny and having your life dictated to you is to your liking there are many countries gladly accepting citizens. Do you REALLY think licensing will help ANYTHING? Look at cars. It is the most dangerous way to travel. PERIOD! With all the driver's ed classes and licensing mandates, people still cannot drive worth a chit. Boats are even more difficult to operate. As was stated earlier, there are no specific requirements for buying a Porsche, Ferarri, Lotus, Vette, crotch rocket etc etc etc.

How about you step down off of YOUR soap box of preaching to all of us and open your eyes to REALITY! Notice how EVERYTHING I said about the LLC WAS TRUE? Notice how I ASKED very specific questions that were avoided and I was heckled and bantered by you and a few of your friends? But in the end the TRUTH prevailed and you went fishing. Only AFTER TRYING to ruin my credibility by asking my credentials insinuating I had no "experience". Oddly enough, when the SAME questions were posed to you, you had NO REPLY! Hmmmmmmm.........
Old 01-30-2004, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys, chill out. Its a frigginn two bit news article. You know like the one thats about the writer trying rock climbing or sky diving or tea cozy knitting. Thats all. NOT a bill before your house. NOT a new law of enslavement. I have said before and will continue to say the public will think of us in accordance with our actions. If we screw up and it makes the news. They will think we are fools. If we do good things for a charity and it makes the news they will think at least those rich pricks are doing something good with their money for a change. If we continually fight amongst ourselves they will think we NEED their direction.

What the writer and what MA stated are facts. I see no "lies" in what they stated. Is it not true that some schmuck who makes a killing in the market can go buy a 160mph cat and drive it without the slightest idea as to what he's doing or what the inherent dangers are? Yes he can go buy a ferrari or whatever else and he can run the exact same risks as in the boat. You can bet it makes the news when a sports car going at an extreme rate of speed splatters all over a highway and kills someone so whats the difference? When a private plane crashes and kills people, does it not make the news? Is it not looked at in the same way? To the average Joe on the street, we have very expensive toys. Toys that they could not ever dream of owning. Its just human nature whether we like it or not that JEALOUSY will raise its ugly head given the chance. You guys calling each other names won't change that.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:48 PM
Registered

There will always be tragic accidents with anything... there was a death here in LA a few years ago .... guy riding a funicular railway.... The cable snapped and the car rolled back.. threw the guy to the ground killing him... Things like this are unexpected accidents... but when passengers get into a boat and the driver isn't paying attention and people are injured... there is always a public outcry to outlaw such things. Motorcycles today are so much faster than race bikes from thirty years ago... Do you need a racing license to go purchase and ride one? nope.... That is why motorcyclists are such great organ donors. Life is fraught with peril.... it comes with the territory. It frightens me to think that one of the last real frontiers of freedom is about to be legislated away. You can't climb into a car and drive along public highways as fast as you want.... you can't climb into an airplane and fly where ever you want without breaking some rule or law... but you can still boat on the ocean as fast and in any direction you want...or dare. You are still free to endanger yourself and any passenger that is willing to come along for the ride. Really... it all boils down to risk... Would we be spending the kind of money we do on knitting needles and rocking chairs? Of course not... I personally know that to have lots of fun in a boat there has to be an element of danger... we are danger junkies.... and some one is going to try and take away my drug!
Old 01-30-2004, 03:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

I bought a Cat from a West Coast mfg that had a 600 hp engine in it. I received no training , hints or instruction on how to run the boat , this was in 1998. It is a miracle that I am alive today. Correct me if I'm mistaken but didn't APBA Offshore ban all SCL's that didn't have canopies? BH
Old 01-30-2004, 03:34 PM
Registered

Hey Joker.... was driver's training included in the purchase price of the last automobile you acquired? Being "of age".. I can walk down the street and purchase a nice shiny handgun.... without any formal instruction on how to handle it.. It's a lot more dangerous than a power boat. The sole purpose of a handgun by design is to kill, maim or injure.... but there is no instruction seminar required to purchase it. Can you see where I'm going with this post? You as a intelligent person have to make choices... either get instruction... or endanger yourself needlessly. I personally wouldn't go hunting with some idiot that had never taken a hunter's safety course... but people willingly get into a high powered boat and not ask the driver if he is qualified to operate the thing.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:11 PM
Registered

Reed, you are an intelligent individual...your thoughts on this subject are presented clearly and concisely...

btw, are you pro or anti gun...i'm not looking to turn this into any sort of debate...just curious on your stance.

me...i'm a card carrying member of the NRA.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:46 PM
Registered

I just read the article and can't find anything to really disagree about. However, I also believe in personal freedoms as long as we act responsibly with those freedoms. The analogy with respect to the motorcycle/helmet issue is right on. I do not like the timing of this article, I believe it in extremely poor taste and taking advantage of a tragedy in an attempt by the writer to attract more people to read it. Chris' tragic accident was nothing more than that, a tragic accident. Whether or not he was wearing a life jacket may, or may not, have made a difference. If he hit his head on something while being ejected from the boat, the life jacket may not have prevented harm. We will probably never know. I think that showing a little courtesey to those affected by this tragedy would not be asking too much.

Quick Reply: Oh boy, Here we go again....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.